Face Masks Were Pointless New Study Finds

I didn’t say I never leave home Ripple…
I run or walk in the country everyday (it’s right on my doorstep) and I cycle 15 miles twice per week, and I’m as fit as a butchers dog despite two heart attacks and round one with covid last year…I just don’t like many people…
:wink:

1 Like

I doubt they sleep in a mask in a multigenerational cramped accommodation and they have to take masks off to eat, probably also in confined space. Given the sheer number of people in China they have done fairly well. Due to the lifestyle of some of their population it’s a great place for disease creation. The spanish flu has been found to have originated there too.

Oh don’t say that, Spitty! I’m going to my first ever gig soon…:frowning_face:

We still have no idea of what is the “viral load” - the amount of C19 we must breathe in, to “come down” with the disease. Knowing it, however, to me at least, appears likely to be a pointless piece of information…it’s not like we can count them, one by one, as they fly through the air from somebody’s sneeze, and stop that last little blighter from being breathed in, to remain safe. Only when the viral load becomes known will we be able to say, with greater confidence, which masks will work (and, how to wear them, properly) to reduce the risk of contraction, anyway.

You sound like my OH. He has started saying he doesn’t like many people. :cry:

1 Like

In all fairness Annie, China ia a very big country so I don’t think they are squashed together all that much. Perhaps in the big cities, but isn’t that the same here?
I think the main benefit of wearing a mask is the same as when we take out insurance or as Strath pointed out with the seat belt analogy. If you believe something will help it probably will. The human mind is a powerful tool.

Did I say you said “never leave home” No !

Thank you for your butchers dog info …:joy:

They live one on top of each other in densely populated areas. They are gregarious, they travel. Despite the size of the country it’s not a socially distanced environment. Personal space is not a concept there. It’s not going to take much to spread disease.

I’ve always seen arguments of the benefit of mask wearing during a pandemic as the same as going around with your bottom covered or uncovered in general social interaction. I don’t need science to tell me that there’s a study saying someone who sits on my armchair without any clothing won’t introduce germs to my house. I couldn’t find the seatbelt analogy, but there’s no mind over matter if you belt up. Mitigating a risk isn’t about faith.

1 Like

The saying goes coughs and sneezing spread diseases trap your germs in handkerchief.
A mask does the job of a thick hankie.
The mask has to make a difference as the virus is mainly spread by minute airborne water particles from breath or coughing and sneezing so I believe.
Of course nothing is perfect when it comes to covid , I’m not saying mask wearing will protect me but perhaps others.
I’ve carried out the advice and covid laws to the letter indeed gone over and above with it .
Still wiping my groceries with antibacterial, cleaning my house/furniture after visitors , good ventilation ,hands face space.
Pleased as far as I know managed to avoid the virus , coughs colds and flu since Christmas 2019 that has to be record as I’m prone to getting pneumonia and bronchitis.

What has happened is that the number flu cases all over the world has dropped drastically. In Chile they had 90% less cases than they were electing based on their statistical norm.

This was attributed to the high incidence of people wearing masks. So this is reasonable evidence that wearing masks works

1 Like

Well they work for flu anyway.

I suppose, the same waste of time could apply to people washing their groceries!
I could never understand that ritual!

1 Like

has anyone invented a bum mask to stop smell spreading? only asking

Thank the BBC and their world of doom and gloom Arty…

1 Like

I used to spray anti-bac on my groceries and wipe them down. I don’t see a problem with doing that, considering how many people have touched it. I don’t do it now though, only because I lost the habit, but it isn’t a wrong thing, imo.

Please… Can l just say, l didn’t see Ripple’s re. wiping groceries post until after l posted my comment.

I didn’t wipe my groceries, l just washed my hands regularly and l didn’t get Covid.
In fact, l was always in supermarkets picking up items from shelves.
Some people even left the groceries in their garage for over a week before even touching them!

I also think the over use of antibacterial sprays don’t help your immune system. You’ve got to eat a peck of dirt before you die!
I wouldn’t have those antibacterial sprays in my house!

2 Likes

No offence taken.
I’ve been using antibacterial spray around the house for years
Light switches doorhandles worktops bathrooms.
What doesn’t get a dose of anti bac gets bleached :wink:
I can’t stand pecks of dirt
Each to their own .

Well I have no idea why I have had Covid THREE times! I am quite aware of cleanliness and I had all the vaccines and wore a mask but still got it… it might be having workmen in my house for the last 5 months made me more vulnerable… I remember a conversation with some of them they told me that being self employed tradesman they worked through any illnesses they had. Not a good time to have folks in the house.

It doesnt surprise me that a mask is pointless I always suspected as much

1 Like

I am struggling to understand how you’ve drawn that conclusion from the discussion on this thread. The opposite is true and is repeatedly explained in many posts here.