Face Masks Were Pointless New Study Finds

I was right about this as well.

My son has said this all along! It is utter madness. Even now you see people walking outside in the fresh air wearing masks! They must have been absolutely terrified and can’t get back to normal.

I still see people driving cars with no passengers wearing masks! What’s that all about?

Dr Sarah Jarvis is the GP who was never off our screens and radio during the pandemic. At the outset she was adamant that masks were no good and would not protect you. She then disappeared off our screens for several weeks which we thought was very odd. When she returned I reckon she had been reprimanded because her view was then that masks WERE vital and she has stuck to that ever since. Guessing she was told to toe the line or she would be out of a job!

1 Like

The study didn’t suggest that face masks in general are pointless, as you are saying, but the objective was to find out if either medical masks or N95 masks are more effective.

3 Likes

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I still wear my mask regardless of what “ZeroHedge” has to say about it. :mask:

5 Likes

They did

They also revealed that N95 masks are as useless as the surgical ones and ones made out of old pants for protecting people against COVID-19.

I wore a mask on the bus, shopping ,anywhere with people but never walking or in the car , I do recall being told masks will not stop you getting the virus but wearing a mask stopped you giving the virus .

I knew the virus could get in my eyes or nose or mouth

3 Likes

There’s many doctors and scientists that said this too including those part of the Great Barrington Declaration.

The problem is that a lot of them thought they were doing the right thing, others who were politically motivated jumped on the opportunity to adopt more state rule and control of the population. Then there are the compassionate narcissists who believed they were only doing it to save lives and demonising the rest of us and supporting the cancellation of any alternative view on social media etc. The compassionate narcissists are the worst kind, they are the nasty fascists. They believe your human rights should be removed through their narrative of good causes, where the regular fascist just punches you in the face. You always know where you stand with the regular fascist.

It was all a big con. Deep down, I think we all knew it.

This is the Study findings

The study did not conclude that wearing masks was pointless - it was comparing the effectiveness of two different types of face masks worn by health workers who were treating Covid infected patients - there was no monitoring of whether patients were wearing face masks or not and there was no “control group” of health workers who were not wearing masks while treating Covid infected patients, so any claim that this study proves masks are pointless is just not true - this study did not set out to try to prove that nor do the results prove that.

Anyone thinking a facemask will provide a foolproof method to protect against all transmission has not been keeping up with scientific study - face masks are worn to reduce the risk of transmission and reduce the rate of transmission- it was never claimed they would eliminate all transmission.

5 Likes

That’s what I understood, too. Single-use disposable surgical-style masks (the pleated blue ones) provide basic protection against large droplets and splashes which are considered to be a key route of transmission, but not smaller particles - their main purpose is to protect others from your exhalations.

IMO, wearing a mask during a pandemic shows consideration for others, not wearing one is irresponsible and careless.

(Exceptions for medical reasons, of course)

FGS, the study is coming from the wrong angle, if you sit in a broom cupboard for three hours with another person both masked but the other person has Covid, you will get it regardless of the mask, If you are in a shop queue two metres away from the people around all masked and there is an infected person in the queue, there is a good chance their mask will protect you, these folks can stuff these studies up there arseholes.

2 Likes

Good points Dachs.

1 Like

The conclusion is they are both pointless

But thankfully those paying attention now have even more ammunition in the fight for the inarguable scientific reality that masks do not work.

The study didn’t say that.

2 Likes

I said that was the conclusion.

If you read the study you can also conclude that, unless you think putting your pants over your face stops you catching covid.

N95 masks gave the same performance as surgical masks. They offer no protection at all.

Are you an expert then?

First observation:
Zero Hedge is a far-right libertarian financial blog and news aggregator. Zero Hedge, per its motto, is bearish in its investment outlook and analysis. Over time, Zero Hedge expanded into non-financial political content, including conspiracy theories and fringe rhetoric advancing radical right, alt-right, and pro-Russia positions. Zero Hedge’s non-financial commentary has led to multiple site bans by global social media platforms.
So no surprise that this article appears in this bag of trash website. And no surprise the article is not just anti-mask but anti-any-control-to-limit-virus-spread. Its all about freedom and stuff everyone else, innit?

2 Likes

Second observation:
If masks don’t work why do surgeons and operating theatre staff always wear them?

3 Likes

Credit where credit is due:

There are different types of mask:

A Guide to Disposable Face Mask Types

Type I, II, and IIR Face Masks
Disposable masks will sometimes be called medical masks or surgical masks. Many people opt for a disposable mask thanks to its lightweight, breathable, and easy to fit and wear design. All disposable face masks should adhere to filtration requirements to be considered effective. The filtration type should be specified on the mask packaging. If it isn’t then you shouldn’t buy the product.

Different types of medical face masks are defined by degrees of filtration. The standard for this is called Bacteria Filtration Efficiency (BFE). These are the different types of surgical masks:

1. Type I Face Masks
    Type I masks have a BFE of 95%, filtering larger respiratory droplets during exhalation. Type I face masks can be used by people and patients to reduce the risk of spreading an infection to others. They are appropriate for use in all public areas and places where social distancing should be respected.

Type I face masks should not be used by healthcare professionals, or in medical or hospital settings.

1. Type II Face Masks
    Type II masks have a BFE of 98%, filtering larger respiratory droplets during exhalation. Type II face masks are appropriate for use in all areas where Type I face masks can be used while offering a higher level of protection. Along with Type IIR face masks, these are designed for use in hospital, medical, and care settings.

2. Type IIR Face Masks
    Type IIR masks have a BFE of 98%, filtering larger respiratory droplets during exhalation, with a splash-resistant layer to protect from coughs and sneezes. They are appropriate for use everywhere Type I and II face masks are used, as well as close proximity environments such as hospitals, doctor’s surgeries, dental clinics, and care homes. These are the types of face masks medical professionals use and provide one of the highest levels of protection against spreading harmful particles, along with FFP face masks.

Type IIR face masks provide the best protection against Covid-19 and other infections that are transmitted through airborne droplets. Our 3 ply surgical face masks all have Type IIR Mask (EN14683) certification, offering proven protection.

They wear them mainly to stop bacteria (not viruses) passing from them to patients and vice versa.

They also protect them from blood and bodily fluids like pus spraying them in the face when they are operating.

3 Likes