Face Masks Were Pointless New Study Finds

So a mask is a preventative and a protective measure then?

2 Likes

Depending on the type.

I thought wearing a face mask was mire about preventing you infecting other people if you had it but didn’t know you than about protecting yourself from infection?

1 Like

Folks have stopped giving a fig about the “R” rate.

Sounds like fake news, from Wikipedia:

Over time, Zero Hedge expanded into non-financial political content, including conspiracy theories and fringe rhetoric advancing radical right, alt-right, and pro-Russia positions. Zero Hedge’s non-financial commentary has led to multiple site bans by global social media platforms

3 Likes

I note that there’s a ‘matt-hancock’ tag for the thread but I haven’t found a reference 
 :017:

1 Like

That may be your conclusion but it’s not the conclusion of the study.

2 Likes

Face masks do work! I’ve been a bug-dodger for 42 years, and face masks work. Simple experiment
try blowing at a candle flame at 12 inches. Now, put a mask on and try blowing the candle flame. Yeah! The reduced current of in/out breathing (speed / power / reach) must, reduce the distance direct outbreaths can go. Why do people cover their mouths when they sneeze, or turn away from us when they have a coughing fit?? Decency, manners and common sense about where all that spit and snot are going, next
is why.

The masks weren’t given to us as a form of guarantee. That was to more predictably work out the direction and strength of our own in/out breaths (whether we had something those around us could catch, or those around us had something we could catch). I’ve not had so much as a head cold during the last 27 years. Masks work!

5 Likes

I only ever wore a face mask as a common courtesy to others.

In fact, I find it near impossible to breathe through them so I breathe from under them, leaving big space at the bottom (space at the top = steamed up specs). That probably reduces the risk a little, whilst reminding us all there’s a virus about, best stand back a little whist in conversation.

1 Like

No you weren’t

Have to agree, there is no right or wrong in this, why do folks seek righteousness in the face of an unknown pandemic?

1 Like

Regrettably its a default to the notion of personal freedom over the much more sound concept of supporting others. Simple as that. Every time I hear “personal liberty” I read ignorant and selfish.

2 Likes

This article isn’t saying face masks are pointless. It’s discussing a study comparing N95 with other masks. Of course the zeronews website doesn’t make that clear because if it did they wouldn’t get so many hits would they

4 Likes

There is a time and place to argue the rhetoric, this situation was neither.

I’ve never had any faith in the masks and agreed with what WHO were saying in the beginning, they give a false sense of security.

When masks did become compulsory loads of people ignored the social distancing, which I felt was far more important.

If masks do work how come China is going through a surge in cases when they wear them anyway.

I’m sure that’s true but as a virus is transmitted on the water droplets that we breath out, or larger droplets we cough out, the mask will also greatly reduce the virus transmission.

3 Likes

The question you asked was “if masks don’t work how come surgeons and operating staff ALWAYS wear them?”

As I explained, They have worn them for decades and prior to that bits of cloth draped across their faces to stop anything nasty splashing in their face when they were opening bodies.

3 Likes

Yes, the mask offers protection from stuff that may come out of the surgical wound. And yes masks are effective at reducing the spread of bacteria from surgeon to patient. You are quite right on these points and I’m not disagreeing with you.
However, the below is from one of the many sources of info on why surgeons wear masks:
“It may be hard to believe, but the mouth is the dirtiest part of the human body. It is the home of billions of bacteria that thrive in the bits of food that we chew and swallow. Also, saliva can transmit viruses like common colds, rotavirus, hepatitis, and SARS-Cov-2. Surgeons wear surgical masks to shield the patients from droplet transmissions, infections, and contamination.”
So good news, we are both right!

1 Like

Because people don’t adhere to mask wearing in private

You are both right. Medical professionals wear them to protect the patient and to protect themselves. The same reasons they wear gloves.

1 Like