Extinction Rebellion glue themselves to the speakers chair in the HOC!

Foxy, are you seriously trying to tell me that only the “privileged” people ( an assumption on this particular group of people, with nothing to back it up) can have the inclination to protest? My goodness…I thought better of you. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings,
Came forth wise words !

Unsubstantiated assertions tend to emanate from the gullible and the brainwashed … the extreme left and the extreme right … :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Would you not agree that the actions of ER are, at least, borderline extreme?

1 Like

The Suffragettes used bombs - that’s “borderline extreme”.

1 Like

Well that’s alright then. So do other groups and paramilitaries that we don’t agree with.

1 Like

I never mentioned “agree” … :017:

1 Like

Fair enough. Maybe I misunderstood you, by thinking that you were condoning the borderline extreme actions of the Suffragettes since it contributed towards an agreeable outcome. Apologies for making that assumption.

Anyway, the main point is that XR are using some techniques which are IMHO bordering on the extreme side of the spectrum, and not really doing their cause any favours by doing so.

1 Like

In context, I wasn’t talking about actions but views:

1 Like

Carry them outside still glued to the chair and dump the in the fountain in Trafalgar Square. That should cool them down a bit

Delete…am making assumptions.

Sounds so dramatic and OTT.
How many people would have died if mankind had never made medical discoveries? Civilisation has good aspects and bad aspects.

I’d have more sympathy with these silly rebels and support them more if they had the courage of their convictions to lead by example.

They’re part of the problem. They are a product of the time, same as everyone else.
As for the younger generation who are going to inherit this looming problem they themselves, use mobiles, expect cars, expect holidays, expect a good standard of living.
Ask any one of them what they’ll do when there are no plastics left ( a byproduct of the oil industry)… do they have the answer? Does anyone?
Never mind just eco friendly cars and transport … the whole fabric of life that we’ve built up is now a very wobbly edifice built on dodgy foundations.

It’s all well and good complaining and demonstrating if you have a ‘solution’.
Seriously, all this nonsense about getting rid of fossils fuels to help the planet. It’ll never happen.
No way can the world afford to leave any coal or oil or gas in the ground because we have no viable, sustainable alternative.
It’ll have to be mined or drilled till the last drop has gone.
Not simply because of economics but simply because we haven’t prepared for when it’s gone and invested in alternatives.

Let’s face it … we’re a parasitic species and we’ve sucked planet earth dry, never mind climate change, whether it’s changing due to it’s natural cycle or our own meddling and destruction.

2 Likes

The most sustainable thing we could do is to persuade as many youngsters as possible not to have children.

1 Like

@Dextrous63 We are told we need more young in order to sustain the old ?
Perhaps the old should conquer their fear of death and do the young a
favour , like the eskimos used to do ?? :hugs::hugs:

1 Like

Dunno, but all those youngsters will eventually get old too, …

Can’t see Logan’s Run being the way forward, but we’re burning the candle at both ends, and playing ring a ring a roses around the HoC speaker’s chair is an irrelevance.

1 Like

Sometimes such events go down in history:

https://www.bl.uk/learning/timeline/item126865.html

Suffragettes march to Buckingham Palace

In their fight for women’s voting rights, the Suffragettes were notorious for publicity-grabbing militant action, and were more than willing to break the law to raise awareness for the cause. This was one of many arrests of their figurehead Emmeline Pankhurst (1858-1928). In May 1914, her group marched to Buckingham Palace to see the King. She dodged the police and almost made it to the palace gates. There she was arrested in what the Daily Mirror called ‘distressing scenes’. Reflecting the establishment view, the paper called them ‘militant suffragettes’ with an ‘impossible scheme’. But four years and one Great War later, a proportion of women were granted the vote, leading to full enfranchisement in 1928. The Suffragette struggle for the vote coincided with the growth of mass-circulation newspapers and the use of press photography. Just as today’s protestors harness the power of television, so the suffragettes understood the power of the press.

2 Likes

Is there, for most contributing here, a theme that can be agreed on? Here’s what it might be:
There are times or points in time when it becomes clear that merely talking or writing is not making the needed changes. With climate change and environmental issue there is a good case that we are significantly past that point. If talking or writing does not spur governments into action then something is needed to get things moving faster / better. That something, in a peaceful democracy, is protest and demonstration. It can be expected that such demonstration will incur some inconvenience to others - without impact the demonstration will have no effect.
Where ER appear to sometimes get it wrong, for me, is that while it can be reasonable to incur some level of inconvenience to others (minor delays, going without something for a short time, etc.) they should never harm or create the potential of harm. ER do not seem to have set out guidance to their members on this - so we see people blocking emergency services as well as, say, commuters. That is misjudged and does their cause no good.

1 Like

Thanks for that Omah, and you are of course right regarding the power of the press.

My point however is that what XR are fighting for is a short term irrelevance. I’ve ploughed my way though a fair amount of their website, and have yet to find anything about stabilising, yet alone reducing global population to a sustainable level.

In the developed world the population growth has been negative for sometime and this trend is continuing. In developed countries the trend is also that there is insufficient younger workers to provide care for the elderly in need. And as time goes on, with negative population growth and an increasingly old population, this need gets greater. This gives rise to such younger workers coming in from nearby poorer countries to fill this need, which for many is also unpopular
Given that, how is your de-population plan going to work?

1 Like

I’m a simple man and don’t have those solutions. What is abundantly clear though is that more people will require more resources, and that the planet will become unable to provide those. So the focus should be on reducing the population and looking at ways to resolve those issues that you raise, rather than the short term ones under consideration.

1 Like