Ex prime minister views £40M house!

How on earth can an ex prime minister afford a £40M house? :icon_eek:

The haves and have nots
40m house ! I find it all rather sickening when there are people depending on food banks to survive and barely able to heat their homes.

2 Likes

It is sick making :nauseated_face:

I don’t have a problem with there being rich people, as long as the people at the bottom are looked after and not exploited, there is equal opportunity and the rich pay their taxes without dodging and diving to wriggle out of it

But that doesn’t happen, does it?

And Johnson is typical of the Tory chumocracy that looks after it’s own, corrupt, decadent and self-serving

But what gets me is the hypocrisy in pretending to be anything else and the way they assume us peasants are so stupid we’ll believe them

It’s disgusting that a man as vile as Johnson can afford this luxury after all the harm he’s done

But I accept that’s the way of the world and I am just grateful he’s not PM and shaming our country any more

But I do hope karma catches up with him one day :rage:

1 Like

I do find it somewhat bemusing that this has been posted about the left’s current favourite hate figure, even though there are many rich people in Parliament of all persuasions, and most of whom made their millions by other means.

Some, of course, do make their millions through their connections made in Parliament, just as another example a certain Tony Blair comes to mind, I wonder why he wasn’t used as the subject of such a thread, or even the Kinnock tribe, who have done very nicely out of politics thank you very much?

Personally I don’t begrudge anyone their wealth as long as honestly acquired…

5 Likes

I haven’t watched the video but, AFAIK, BJ hasn’t got the resources to buy such an expensive property. OTOH:

The former prime minister and his wife, Carrie, have in recent weeks viewed a property in a picturesque village. The Guardian has been told they have now made an offer that has been accepted.

The five-bathroom house dates back to the early 1600s and is set in almost five acres of grounds. Three sides of the grounds are bounded by a moat. The house has “period features”, estate agents said, as well as “ornate cornicing” and “open fireplaces”. There is also a walled garden, tennis court, outside storage and a double garage.

Last month Johnson was seen being shown around a private school in Oxfordshire, with a view to sending his son Wilf there as a day pupil in September 2024, followed by his daughter Romy. His four children with his ex-wife Marina Wheeler, a barrister, all attended state primary schools in north London.

The couple had also been reportedly looking at other homes, also in the £4m price range, in Fulham, London.

The move would add to speculation that Johnson is considering running for election in Oxfordshire rather than his existing seat of Uxbridge, a marginal in west London with a majority of 7,200.

The ex-Prime Minister is currently residing in a £20 million London property owned by the wife of Tory donor Lord Bamford, whose worth is valued at roughly £5 billion.

Johnson’s recently property portfolio:

a fifth of the 500 acre family farm, located in Nethercote, near Winsford in West Somerset

a house in Camberwell, sold for £1.4m in November

a farmhouse in Thame, Oxfordshire, thought to be worth £1.2m, up for rent for £4,250 a month

Tony Blair, John Major and David Cameron are worth £45 million (each), Liz Truss and Theresa May are worth £5 million (each) and Gordon Brown is worth £15 million. All are estimates but none put any ex-PM in the £40 million house bracket.

Would an estate agent be telling porkies … :thinking:

1 Like

John and Norma Major lived a few miles away from me for many years but that was after he was no longer PM. It was a huge house with sea views, up on a hill and surrounded by acres of land and woods. He had staff like gardeners, handyman, cleaners, drivers etc. he also had 24/7 police protection. He moved away a few years ago.

Great isn’t it the Tories make house buying almost impossible for poorer people with so many taxes and duties but never seem worried about lashing out on super expensive properties themselves .
I hope he pays the extra stamp duty his mate George Osbourne made everyone else do even if they only owned part of a shared flat or inherited a tiny bungalow .

1 Like

Well said Muddy and Mick!

Honesty tends to be a slightly flexible concept when it comes to Tories, Johnson, the chumocracy and backs scratching. You don’t get that sort of money without exploiting someone

It’s more the hypocrisy that gets me, the rubbish promises about levelling up etc they have no intention or desire to keep while exploiting their own privilege to the max

They’re all at it of course, doesn’t matter what party they’re from, although the Tories do protect the wealthy and design the tax system etc to favour them and their fiddling

But the Tories are the ones in power and making the decisions at the moment. And therefore should be subject to close scrutiny

And trying to defend them with examples from other parties in the past is just whataboutery

Other people having done something in the past doesn’t excuse those doing it now

He may not have been viewing, he may have just been looking for a party to attend. :icon_wink:

1 Like

It wasn’t posted about anyone in particular - I just find it flabbergasting that an ex prime minister can afford a £40M house. No wonder we have the likes of BJ and other career politicians (especially in the tory party) who are clearly only in it for the money.

Really? You think it’s ok for people to be billionaires?

There was a good Joe Rogan interview about this recently, I don’t know who the guest is but here is the clip (warning: contains very strong language!):

Guest: A million seconds is 11 days - how many days is a billion seconds?

Joe: How many?

Guest: 31 years.

Joe: Jesus.

Guest: 11 days, to 31 ||expletive|| years. When someone tries to ||expletive|| say they understand what a billion is, you like have no ||expletive|| idea what a billion is. A billion is so beyond far away.

Longer version: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3dy415fChZM

And for those who want to know how much a trillion is (where there are now rumours some royal families actually have that much) it is 31,000 years!!!

Hi Maree.

I understand what you are saying as I also understand what Barry is saying.

I had the misfortune before I took early retirement, to have had both Blair and Boris bossing me around.

Blair came from a comfortable, but most certainly not rich, family.

His Dad lived in Shrewsbury, overlooking the river and took a fatherly and very nice relationship with the mother of my kids.

She was on the counter where he banked.

A lovely,lovely man.

By a totally weird and unrelated set of events, I used to be involved with Cherie Blairs step mother in law.

Nancy Jaeger/

She was a Feminist Activist who was working in Ipswich in 1982.

I still do not understand how the Blairs got so much money.

Ha ha, says the man whose own house is worth nearly a million quid and who earns a 6 figure salary.

As bad as his predecessor Bob Crow who lived in a very smart, modern council house which could have been given to a less well off family. He was on a massive salary too.

Pot, kettle, black!

1 Like

The Blair’s could have been that poor Tony went to Fettes a top public school
Both he and his wife are barristers and Cherie was a high court judge .
They don’t earn peanuts and they bought property .

They were “Crafty” :grin: