Everything New in Windows 10’s May 2019 Update

My computer had some pending updates this morning so I thought I would check to see what version I was running.

1809 umm what happened to 1903? Checked updates, nothing available even after installing the updates pending.

Anyway thought I would have a quick look before I had a shower, had supper and went to bed (its getting on for 10.30pm Wednesday night) and bugger me now it suddenly wants to install 1903.

Anyway after I have done my nightly back up of my files and set a restore point I will tell it to get on with it and go to bed.

ok … :023:

So far, only three issues:

My Realtek Audio Manager had been reset to factory defaults - reset to my preferences

My printer had been offlined - onlined it

My Macrium Reflect Backup procedures had (for some reason) been initiated and both failed - reran OK

My desktop is happily chugging away installing 1903 - Well I presume it is I have turned the screen off but I can hear the HDD ticking away.

I am using my laptop in the meantime so thought I would check its version of Win10. It apparently is up to date BUT doesn’t want 1903 just yet.

I suppose it makes sense, if every computer tried to download major updates at once then the M$ system would crash.

That’s good, and not before time.

Personally, I keep mine on ‘metered connection’ and keep getting polite reminders which I just ignore. I do, however, update when I want to. Perhaps I could now remove the ‘metered connection’ setting and see what happens.

Actually, I have just had a look and see the message:
“You’re currently running a version of windows that’s nearing the end of support. We recommend you update to the most recent version of Windows 10 now to get the latest features and security improvements.”

I’ll download the pending update now then, as Microsoft have become so nice about it!

EDIT:
It took a little over seven minutes, which isn’t too bad. A total of about twelve minutes including restarting Windows.

:023:

Last night, as reported earlier, I told my computer to install Win 10 1903 and set it off. Within minutes it had done its “Getting Ready”

…and was soon getting stuck into installing version 1903. At this point I went to bed.

First thing in the morning my computer was looking slightly annoyed and tapping its foot as it waited for me to tell it to restart. To be honest I thought it would do this by itself as it was outside working hours (or whatever M$ calls it)

Anyway I pressed the ‘Restart Now’, made sure it obeyed, then buggered off for my morning walk…

When I returned it was at my signing in screen so I signed in and it sat demurely displaying this message (which I promptly deleted):

Frankly I don’t care what new features it has, doubtless I will come across some in the future.

I have had a quick look to check that my privacy settings hadn’t been interfered with, started a few programs such as Office 2010, OBS Studio, CMD.exe, Picasa etc and all seems in order I haven’t had time to check all my file associations and default programs but Firefox is still my default browser.

Easy as… nothing to worry about, it does it all by itself except restarting the computer (??) Piece of piss.

Oh yes, I noticed Omah had trouble with his printer so I checked and printed test page - printer was OK too

[CENTER]https://media.giphy.com/media/9Ai5dIk8xvBm0/giphy.gif[/CENTER]

Well done, mate … :038:

Ooooops - interesting.

Backing up the registry is easy enough using Regedit/export. My last backup came in at just under 400mb.

I agree, also CCleaner asks you to back up the registry before cleaning it.

There’s no way I can do this update until I get my fan looked at, my laptop wants to shut down when it reaches 90deg for some reason. :-(:shock:

Don’t think that backs up the whole registry, just the bits that CCleaner will remove. The resultant back up is only around 90k.

Are the ventilation holes clogged up with dust?

Well, 1903 has installed and all’s well so far. All settings untouched and at least this time, the update didn’t knacker my Office 2016. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it … :smiley:

I’ve been running on two machines for several days now and haven’t noticed any significant changes, just minor ones, but I must trawl through the Settings some time this week because there will be a couple of things I will want to reset … :wink:

One of the minor ones:

Download Folder Sorting

Windows 10’s Downloads folder will be sorted by “most recent” by default, which puts your most recently downloaded folders on top. This has always been an option, but it wasn’t the default. If you’ve chosen a default sorting method, your existing setting won’t be changed.

I changed “View/Group” by back to “None”

It also seems to have developed the irritating habit of putting folders below files. I haven’t really looked at the defaults though.

I have never looked but having done so I think you might be right.