Everything New in Windows 10’s May 2019 Update

How to fix Windows 10 May 2019 Update problems

The Windows 10 May 2019 Update launched on May 22, and while Microsoft has gone to great lengths to try to make sure that this latest major update to Windows 10 is not plagued by the same level of problems that the October 2018 Update suffered, there have been some Windows 10 May 2019 Update problems spotted already.

Microsoft has created a webpage where you can view current Windows 10 May 2019 problems, along with details on what it is doing to fix them.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=kXQk6*ivFEQ&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-MAQEltd3zthVNWb3p1mc8g&epi=kXQk6.ivFEQ-MAQEltd3zthVNWb3p1mc8g&irgwc=1&OCID=AID681541_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir__lnkv1sorkskfrlt1kk0sohz30m2xjwjhdxhwmixg00)(7593)(1243925)(kXQk6.ivFEQ-MAQEltd3zthVNWb3p1mc8g)()&irclickid=_lnkv1sorkskfrlt1kk0sohz30m2xjwjhdxhwmixg00

:024:

:023:

Thanks! Something to consider.

Reading through the list of problems, it makes you wonder what they were doing when they were meant be designing the thing… too busy thinking about Win12 perhaps? :cry:

Why? Just set it back to a previous system restore point if it stuffs up. There’s always another night, why have a dog and bark yourself?

You are, obviously, a consumer (of technology) - I was (and still am) a provider … :wink:

It is now embedded in my nature to find solutions to computer problems and not leave it to someone else … :wink:

Woof :wink:

You should know by now that I do. :wink:

Although the Windows 10 Update 1903 appears to have worked successfully on my old laptop, the Update cannot be applied to my desktop:

While this change is much better than the previous way of just not showing anything at all, it would be even better if Microsoft explained the specific reason behind the update block.

The reason could be any of the issues described here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903

Current status as of June 18, 2019:

Windows 10, version 1903 is available for any user who manually selects “Check for updates” via Windows Update for all devices that do not have a safeguard hold. If you are not offered the update, please check below for any known issues that may affect your device. The recommended servicing status is Semi-Annual Channel.

A case of “wait and see”, I suppose …

:069:

What a bizarre company they are.

:017:

A law unto themselves … :frowning:

Since the 1903 Update is still unavailable I contacted Microsoft and established a Remote Control session.

The technician attempted a manual Install and Update but encountered the same problem as myself. However, he identified the possible cause as:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=kXQk6*ivFEQ&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-EBUkbBN0tQPIko375G7amw&epi=kXQk6.ivFEQ-EBUkbBN0tQPIko375G7amw&irgwc=1&OCID=AID681541_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir__lnkv1sorkskfrlt1kk0sohz30m2xj3jlshhwmixg00)(7593)(1243925)(kXQk6.ivFEQ-EBUkbBN0tQPIko375G7amw)()&irclickid=_lnkv1sorkskfrlt1kk0sohz30m2xj3jlshhwmixg00#490msgdesc

Error attempting to update with external USB device or memory card attached

If you have an external USB device or SD memory card attached when installing Windows 10, version 1903, you may get an error message stating “This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10.” This is caused by inappropriate drive reassignment during installation.

Sample scenario: An update to Windows 10, version 1903 is attempted on a computer that has a thumb drive inserted into its USB port. Before the update, the thumb drive is mounted in the system as drive G based on the existing drive configuration. After the feature update is installed; however, the device is reassigned a different drive letter (e.g., drive H).

Note The drive reassignment is not limited to removable drives. Internal hard drives may also be affected.

To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a hold on devices with an external USB device or SD memory card attached from being offered Windows 10, version 1903 until this issue is resolved.

Affected platforms:

Client: Windows 10, version 1903

Workaround: This issue has been partially resolved but to ensure seamless update experience, the safeguard hold is still in place. In the short term, we recommend you do the following workaround to update to Windows 10, version 1903. Remove all external media, such as USB devices and SD cards, from your computer and restart installation of the Windows 10, version 1903 feature update. The update should then proceed normally.

Note If you need to keep your external device, SD memory card, or other devices attached to your computer while updating, we recommend that you do not attempt to manually update to Windows 10, version 1903 using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved.

Next steps: We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

ETA Tried the workaround - it didn’t work …:090:

Windows 10 Update 1903 is now available for my desktop - I’ll be installing it later … :wink:

So the update designed to put right all the things that don’t work… doesn’t work. How brilliant is that? Microsoft should get an award. :044::044:

Windows 10 Update 1903 is now installing on my desktop PC - download did NOT stick @ 99% but the install is taking longer than on my laptop PC, so far an additional 20 minutes.

In the meantime, 3 updates for 1903 have arrived on my laptop PC.

It gets better. :-p

Is 1903 the year it was created? :lol:

I’ve had a problem with installing - it stopped at 70% - the troubleshooter said the BITS Service wasn’t running and loaded it, advising a restart of the Update - I’ve done that and got back to a static 70% - I’ll leave it a bit longer this time … :015:

I think I might need to get rid of my barge poles.

The install and update eventually finished OK but the “break” at 70% meant that the total download, installation and update time was over 4 hours.

Whereas the 99% “stick” in download is fairly common and documented, the 70% “stick” in installation is not, so my suspicion is that the Remote Support Technician altered the BITS setting when he took over my PC - I saw his pointer “playing” with the services.

ETA Latest 3 “minor” updates also installed and applied.

On neither PC did I receive notification (smugly or not) from Windows regarding what is new - to find out, I selected All Settings/Update & Security/Explore New Features … :smiley:

I’ve tested MS Office 16 Word and Excel on my Desktop PC - both are working OK … :023: