Everyday food could be causing 90 per cent of cancers, according to study

I thought it was something she made up to stop you digging your finger into the icing…! :joy: Well, I’m not eating red things again then :frowning:

1 Like

@PixieKnuckles @Bathsheba @Omah
img_0196-1
Looks Great. Looks Delicious. Makes your mouth water! Then you find out what it is.
Why are they called Rocky Mountain oysters?

Image result for what are Rocky Mountain oysters

Rocky Mountain oysters are bull testicles. … Rocky Mountain oysters, which also go by other names like prairie oysters, mountain tenders, calf fries and cowboy caviar, date back to the rancher explosion resulting from expansion into the American and Canadian West.May 13, 2021

1 Like

…and I’m just clicking on the heart thinking “oh thats really cool, yes, interesting…”

not its NOT, Danny, this is awful!! :joy: All those fancy names and its…its…UGH!!

Cowboys eat beans. I’ve seen them on TV. So there…

2 Likes

Oh they’re known over here as sweetbreads, haha! I’ve never been tempted to try them, I have to say. But ‘sweetbreads’? Seriously? I cannot begin to fathom how that name came about :102:

2 Likes

Ahhh thanks for that Sheba…I was looking up “sweetmeats”, convinced that was the name of them!! :joy: such a plonker :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I always thought that referred to brains.

1 Like

Good grief…I post something about a bit of oil, and we have descended into the consumption of brains and testicles.

Nice… :joy:

I love conversations! :smiley:

Like other edible non-muscle from animal carcasses, sweetbreads may be categorized as offal, fancy meat, or variety meat.

Various other glands used as food may also sometimes be called “sweetbreads”, including the parotid gland (“cheek” or “ear” sweetbread), the sublingual glands (“tongue” sweetbreads or “throat bread”) as well as ovary and testicles.

Confusing, isn’t it … :confused:

1 Like

All bad food, or disgusting food have fancy names
Rocky Mountain Oysters = Bull balls
Escargot = snails
Calamari = squid
Haggis = unspeakable horror
Fugu = you eat you may die (puffer fish)
Steak Tartar = raw meat
I could go on but you get the idea. Call it what it is and people won’t eat it give it a fancy name and…

Erm…hello? :joy:

Although I do agree…BUT, the veggie version is rather nice! :+1:

2 Likes

To say the least…

IACGMOOH starts soon - there are always “unusual” animal body parts on the menu … :kangaroo:

2 Likes

It seems sweetbreads is the name for testicles as well as parts of the brain and many other body parts when used as food:

In English, testicles are known by a wide variety of euphemisms, including “stones”, “Rocky Mountain oysters”, “prairie oysters” and sweetbread.[1][3] Lamb testicles are often called ‘lamb fries’ or simply fries (though that may also refer to other organ meats).[4] (Wikipedia)

and

Sweetbread is a culinary name for the thymus (also called throat, gullet, or neck sweetbread) or pancreas (also called stomach, belly or gut sweetbread), typically from calf (ris de veau) and lamb (ris d’agneau).[1][2] The “heart” sweetbreads are more spherical in shape, while the “throat” sweetbreads are more cylindrical in shape.[3] As the thymus is replaced by fibrous tissue in older animals, only pancreatic sweetbreads come from beef and pork.[4] Like other edible non-muscle from animal carcasses, sweetbreads may be categorized as offal, fancy meat, or variety meat.[4]: 4,23

Various other glands used as food may also sometimes be called “sweetbreads”, including the parotid gland (“cheek” or “ear” sweetbread), the sublingual glands (“tongue” sweetbreads or “throat bread”) as well as ovary and testicles.[5][6] (Wikipedia)

1 Like

Just add it to my above list of names. :grinning:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, and I had conveniently forgotten all about this tasty delicacy until…TODAY!

1 Like

I must confess I used to think the same as you, Sheba, in that sweetbreads were cattle’s nuts, but they are not. They are in fact, parts of 2 glands, Thymus and Pancreas, so I believe. Equally unappealing though!

1 Like

Strangely, the dogs bollox are not a food item … :thinking:

2 Likes

Except maybe to a Asian palate.

Nothing wrong with black pudding. The Stornoway version not the Bury one.