Eurovision Song Contest - not what it used to be - am I just getting old and out of touch?

I don’t know how crap the UK song was compared to all the other crap songs because I don’t watch that crap.

What I am absolutely sure about is that this is not the “Eurovision Song Contest” at all. It is actually the “Who Are My Political Allies Contest”.

Perhaps we should learn from the results, especially as we haven’t come anywhere near the top for donkey’s years!

What about Brotherhood of Man and Bucks Fizz?!! :-D:-D

Am sure we’ll all be whistling the Italian song to ourselves soon. Such a catchy little tune.

I suppose these things are sent to try us.
By the way I am leaning to my Irish side on this and I was getting bored of winning it. :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for posting this, I hadn’t heard it before and I agree with you, very catchy - like measles. Time to scrap the entire spectacle.

Can’t imagine the BBC pulling out of anything European, LD!

:wink:

The sooner the better in my book.
I think it all should be in a different language every year.
That way the British public would lose interest and once that happens the Beeb will only have one choice and that would be to drop it.
Then we shall all get our wish.

I think they should play it at riots and illegal gatherings .
Good for encouraging travellers to travel on too.

:043:

Perhaps we could persuade Channel 5 or Sky to take it on, or is it only national TV services that can show this crap?

I’m in the fortunate position of not being able to watch the Eurocrap, as I don’t pay for a TV licence!
To make things even better, I’m not helping to fund it for the same reason.

It has not been revealed how much the UK has paid to enter this year’s competition, though previous years give a good idea of the usual costs.

The most recent figures on how much the UK has paid to enter come from 2012, via the adamsmith.org blog.

In the blog post, it says the BBC paid the European Broadcasting Union, which hosts the competition, £310,000.

This was a steady increase from £279,805 in 2009, meaning it is likely the BBC pays significantly more now in 2021.

Bucks Fizz won last time I watched.

I used to feel quite proud when our UK representative would come on and say ‘This is London calling, these are the results from the UK jury’

Sadly these days we just stick weirdos on.

We have said this years was the last year we will watch the Eurovision, it’s just so political its unfair.

It’s a real shame as its always been an event almost it’s like a tradition of ours and has gone now. We have been married 44 years in July and we have never missed a single year watching it together whilst having a few glasses of wine and a meal, it’s been an occasion in our house and I feel kinda sad the tradition is now ended.

The last time I watched it was when Terry Wogan hosted it.
It was more for his comments than the music or the scores.

Just in case some of you are warming up for when karaoke evenings are opened up again, thought you might like to practise the winning ditty:

Måneskin – Zitti e Buoni – Italian Lyrics (Eurovision Version)
Loro non sanno di che parlo
Voi siete sporchi, fra’, di fango
Giallo di siga fra le dita
Io con la siga camminando
Scusami, ma ci credo tanto
Che posso fare questo salto
E anche se la strada è in salita
Per questo ora mi sto allenando

E buonasera, signore e signori, fuori gli attori
Vi conviene non fare più errori¹
Vi conviene stare zitti e buoni
Qui la gente è strana, tipo spacciatori
Troppe notti stavo chiuso fuori
Mo’ li prendo a calci ‘sti portoni
Sguardo in alto tipo scalatori
Quindi scusa mamma se sto sempre fuori, ma

Sono fuori di testa, ma diverso da loro
E tu sei fuori di testa, ma diversa da loro
Siamo fuori di testa, ma diversi da loro

Io ho scritto pagine e pagine, ho visto sale poi lacrime
Questi uomini in macchina e non scalare le rapide
C’è scritto sopra una lapide, in casa mia non c’è Dio
Ma se trovi il senso del tempo risalirai dal tuo oblio
E non c’è vento che fermi la naturale potenza
Dal punto giusto di vista, del vento senti l’ebrezza
Con ali in cera alla schiena ricercherò quell’altezza
Se vuoi fermarmi ritenta, prova a tagliarmi la testa perché

Sono fuori di testa, ma diverso da loro

Parla, la gente purtroppo parla
Non sa di che cosa parla
Tu portami dove sto a galla
Che qui mi manca l’aria
Non sa di che cosa parla
Che qui mi manca l’aria
Non sa di che cosa² parla
Che qui mi manca l’aria

Ma sono fuori di testa, ma diverso da loro

Noi siamo diversi da loro

Note: In the original uncensored version, non fare più errori is toccarvi i coglioni which is a vulgar expression that means “to touch wood” (lit: to touch one’s balls). In the line non sa di che cosa parla, cosa replaces the vulgar term cazzo (dick).

You can also see the translation here Eurovision Winner 2021: Måneskin - Zitti e Buoni: Lyrics & English Translation - Daily Italian Words

The charming Katy Boyle was a presenter a few times.

Oooh, don’t the Ities talk funny?

Oh, but Terry Wogan came out with some right gems!

Yes it’s a shame. I know it has always been a bit naff but that was sort of the fun of it whereas now they are all a bit too serious and all the songs are crap.

Yes,I only watched it for his sarcasm.