Eurovision Song Contest - not what it used to be - am I just getting old and out of touch?

I haven’t followed the Eurovision Song Contest for many years but having nothing better to do I watched the first semi-final on Tuesday and that was enough. I certainly won’t be tuning in tomorrow for the finals. All the songs, with a few exceptions seemed to be variations on the same theme.

And why do they need all the special effects that bring on epileptic attacks? Is it to distract from the fact that the songs aren’t up to standard?

Or am I just getting old and out of touch?

1 Like

I don’t think so, Ulla, V and I haven’t watched it for many years either but I do like to watch the results coming in at the end just to see how much the EU countries hate the UK. :lol:

Sadly things change and we can’t stop them, but it will never be as good as 1974 when ABBA sang Waterloo.

They made a great a career from their talent. :038:

Never watch it

Yes I remember it well. I was 13 and they were my big idols. My bedroom was wallpapered with their posters!!

I don’t think there will ever be another singer or group who will become as famous as them by winning Eurovision.

Interesting fact. The man behind the Swedish Song for Europe concept is leaving Sweden and heading for the USA to try and introduce a similar competition there. Can you imagine a song contest with 50 entries!?

I thought we might be spare the Eurovision SC because of the pandemic but it seems there is no escape :surprised:

don’t worry the aussies get a hard time too! - and you have of course left the EEC remember?

Well the Americans always do things bigger and better than Europe, but they will get no sleep if they have to listen to 50 songs! :mrgreen:

Welcome Ullabi

I would say that Abba are more popular over here now than they were at the time. There are often programmes on tv about them and of course there are the films and the plays too. They are all so talented.

As for Eurovision, I agree that all the stage effects are far too annoying and it detracts from the song itself. We need more boom banga bangs.

A massive reason for not watching this farrago… one Graham Norton! :shock::shock::shock:

Think if the Frogs entered this they would win.

Its brilliant!

We love it here …

It’s a load of rubbish, I haven’t watched it for years. It’s not about which song is best any more, it’s voting for the country which will vote for you. It’s gone far to far about politics & no longer about the songs.

We have watched it every year since we married. Its quite an event in our house. We enjoy it. It is quite comical though at how political it is. I really miss Terry Wogan he was a brilliant and funny compare

As usual, our entry this year is instantly forgettable. I get the feeling that we don’t actually want to win it… not that we ever could.

our entry is a bag of you know what

Not long got indoors and caught the last 4.

Holland with a black group that looks like they have just arrived from Amsterdam and were high on something.

Then a heavy rock group from Italy and then another black fella from was it Sweden or Norway.

Then a bit of rapping from San Marino

I watched the re-run and for me the Germans have it. :lol::lol:
It was the wobbly finger that did it for me.

No tunes stood out just a blast of noise from each performance.

I didn’t see the UK entry, but nil points? :slight_smile:

Congrats to Italy. A good rock song. Will be fab to see them put on the show next year.