English differences in different countries

People in different countries using different words for the same thing can sometimes be surprising.

ENGLISH Vocabulary Differences US vs UK vs Australia vs New Zealand vs South Africa

English differences Among 4 countries! (American,British,Aussie,Canadian)

Nah we just like to snigger childishly when Americans talk about their fanny packs and they do too when we lay the table or go out for a fag :rofl:

3 Likes

“England and America are two countries separated by a common language” GBShaw.
But it could be me.

1 Like

So 80’s. Oh, the stereotypes. :044:

2 Likes

And then in recipes there’s the complicated jam, jelly, jello thing :rofl:

2 Likes

Not to mention the units of measure. No way I could follow a recipe with different units of measure.

That’s not so hard, loads of online converters and I’ve got a set of US measuring cups

I still cook in pounds, ounces and pints but most recipes now are mls and grams so I’m used to converting

But there’s still zucchini eggplants and chips….

I’m not that much into cooking, but the last time I went looking for measuring cups, I didn’t see any metric ones. On youtube I see people making conversions, but the last time I tried it (I was baking bread), it wasn’t seamless. You sound a lot more practiced at it than I will probably ever be.

lol what does this mean?

is it aubergine for eggplants, squash for zucchini and (the other way around) french fries for chips?

Yup, egg plant is aubergine, zucchini is courgette, French fries are chips :rofl:

1 Like

Look out for one of these, I think they have them on Amazon. It measures various dry foods in ounces and grams, flour, sugar etc….

It’s a copy of the 1960s design, I use mine all the time

1 Like

What really blew my mind was when I found that volume measurements are different between UK and US. A pint in the UK is 20 fl.oz, but in the US it’s only 16 fl.oz. So a UK quart is 40 fl.oz as opposed to 32 fl.oz in the States, and a UK gallon is 160 fl.oz, and in the US it’s only 128 fl.oz.

This all became apparent to me when I bought an Instant Pot (a US product). It was variously described as having 6 ltr or 6 quart capacity, which made no sense to me. So I did some research and discovered that an American quart = .94 ltr, whereas a UK quart = 1.13 ltr. As the American quart is so very close to a litre, it seemed to be used interchangeably with quart.

I’m always very wary of US recipes now that use liquid measurements!

1 Like

I suppose a few of you here know that my wife is American. She is a very good cook so many of the recipes need to be converted to UK measures. Of course we has been here for quite a few years so it generally isn’t a problem - just now and again she’ll ask me some weight that maybe isn’t so obvious and of course there are conversion charts.

And on English differences? Well, neither of us is English but we get by in spite of that!

2 Likes

Yes, you have to be very careful if it says pint

I think the strangest difference is the way the different countries pronounce common words like “adult” with stress on difference syllables.

As for measurements is is beyond my why anyone would still use pints, pounds etc when there is a metric system especially when those measurements don’t even agree.

I still remember things like “a pint of water is a pound and a quarter a gallon is ten pounds” though after all this time I cannot remember if there are 16oz or 14oz in a pound or how many pounds in a stone. Such stupid measurements.

There are 16 ounces in a pound, and we don’t cook with rocks. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aluminium -

Aluminium

Erbs and hacks.

Then there are 14lbs in a stone. There are 160 stones in a ton or 2240lbs fortunately that is very similar to a metric tonne which is about 2200lbs or exactly 1000Kg

The problem is the US has different tons (short tons?) to the UK as wellas getting pints wrong - the whole system should be scrapped it is totally daft and nonsensical, No one can say that a measuring system based on the length of some random king’s arm and nose makes any sense at all, I thought the US had a war to break away from such regal issues. I can’t understand why an advanced country like the USA sticks with such an archaic system from their colonial past.

Yep, its crap, when you have to actually think about something.

But now Johnson wants to throw us back in time and allow pounds and ounces back in U.K. shops

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-05-29/boris-johnson-set-to-bring-back-pounds-and-ounces-to-mark-queens-jubilee

Just a cheap ploy to throw a bone to his Brexiter supporters, I guess, but it’s bound to cause costly complications with no advantage I can see