English differences in different countries

I had a nanosecond of panic in Britain when I was driving. I saw a sign which said, “Exit 0.5m”. I thought “HALF A F@&KING METRE. What on earth is the use of a road sign like that?”

I also assumed that the speed limit would be about 60kph so drove to that from the airport. I thought it seemed a bit fast when I realised the speedo had MPH and KPH dials and I was reading the wrong one (they seemed to be upside down to me)

Sorry about my French.

… … and then we have the different gallons which often confuse me. The British ‘Imperial’ gallon is approx 1.21 US gallons and that makes cost conversions a tad difficult :man_shrugging:

In proper measurements a US Gallon is 3.8 litres, a British gallon 4.5 litres (give or take) another piece of archaic stupidity. I don’t really know why I remember these daft facts.

I once bought a vacuum flask, a Stanley Quart Flask. Great, I thought, over one litre of tea or coffee kept piping hot! Oh No it was a US flask and held less than 1 litre. What a rip off.

As long as one stays in one’s respective countries does it really matter ?

2 Likes

A major problem here in England, is, we are bulging at the seams with far too many from other countries who should not be here🤬 → UpYoursGO HOME!!

1 Like

Well I was referring to weights and measures actually LD :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know, I got it, but any excuse for a rant :ok_hand::grin:

Yep. As in the example I gave, I was ripped off by a bunch of foreigners with their daft measurements exported to a purely metric, modern, civilised country. Quarts indeed!

Apparently we are all going back to imperial measurements anyway, to celebrate the jubiliee.

Another one of Johnson’s idiotic ideas I presume .
The man is a total plonker those times are gone .

3 Likes

Yes, he’s panicking about losing more seats, so he is trying to appeal to the Brexit voters :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It makes me laugh everytime I hear an American say squirrel
They say squirl
:044: :044: :044:

1 Like

[quote=“Rhian, post:32, topic:91522”]
They say squirl[/quote]

Try a broad Scots accent:
skwurrel

I had to look this up since I wasn’t sure of the differences. Here’s one video on it. The difference sounds less pronounced than some words but maybe it varies by region.

This goes back about 300 years or so. This is Wiki’s take on it, but I was always under the impression it was our ship owners cheating the Americans by selling them short measures from the off :rofl:

All of the pubs in my area still sell beer by the pint if delivered by manual pump. . . hey bartender, can we have four 0.57 litres of Directors please LOL. . :beer:

That’s a strawman argument, beer etc is sold by the container what ever its measurement. In NSW beer was sold as a pint, schooner, middy or a seven (20fl oz, 15floz, 10fl oz, 7fl oz) they still are except that they are 568ml, 425ml, 285ml, 200ml. Funny thing is the name remains the same as do the glasses.

Don’t ask about SA, they are bloody mad.

1 Like

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::ok_hand:

Honestly, I can’t take that pronunciation guide seriously, because it sounds as if the narrator’s first language is not English, British, US or otherwise. How can he be relied upon? I’d prefer to hear the word said by English speaking people, one from the UK and one from the US!

ETA: this is more like it!

1 Like

Hmmm … well maybe. My eldest granddaughter is engaged to a Hawaiian working over here and she has developed his accent and adopted his choice of vocabulary. . . most disconcerting!

1 Like