England v Columbia

Thought the Colombia match was dreadful. England played appallingly, ball passing was all over the place and there were almost no moves at all toward Colombia’s goal. They were extremely lucky to survive the distance to go to penalties. Had Colombia not have given away a penalty, we would have lost plain and simple.

Against any half decent opposition England is simply not going to get away with that kind of lacklustre performance, they will get absolutely creamed.
By the time the ordinary 90 mins were up I was struggling to remember any actual shots at the Colombian goal. Were there actually any at all?

Spain lost their match in similar fashion, just playing “patty cake” with the ball in the middle of the pitch and never making any concerted movements into the opposition penalty area. Games are not won without being creative and taking chances.

England will have to seriously up their game from here to stay in.

Or painting lots of white arrows on the pitch pointing towards their goal. :lol:

Yes Longdogs, that would certainly give England a ‘Get out of Jail free Card’…Should they choose to use it…:069:

This post will self destruct in thirty seconds…:cool:

No need to ‘sugar coat it’ Realist, why don’t you tell it like it is…:shock:…?

I actually agree with every word though…:wink:

It’s a real shame TBH because we saw with Panama that they are capable of taking a game to the opposition and making move after move resulting in 6 goals.

As soon as they start panicking they just go into survive mode at the back, which is what we’ve seen with England for the past 3 or 4 World Cups.

I’d rather they forgot about those risks, actually just let the odd goal in and instead concentrate on scoring as many goals as they can themselves.

Absolutely Realist, we know they can do it if they don’t get intimidated and go into defence mode.
Call me a pessimist, but and old friend (who was a decent footballer) used to say that; “You are only as good as the other team let you be”…And I think the dirty tactics employed by Columbia took England by surprise…:surprised: But Columbia could play a bit also, after scoring the only proper goal of the game…:frowning: Win or lose, it would be nice to see some exciting football tomorrow.

I’m sure they are capable of it, they did make some excellent moves which sadly amounted to nothing in the end. I have to trust the fact that Southgate knows more than I do, so when something isn’t quite working but he doesn’t change anything, I hope there is a reason for it.

It’s going to be a busy weekend for me Longdogs; The England Game at three, Highlights of the Tour de France at seven, Silverstone F1 on Sunday, plus more tour highlights (can’t justify six hours of the tour through the day) Sunday lunch at some remote country pub - even I don’t know where it is…AND…I’m supposed to go to church with the family to hear my daughters bands read out for her forthcoming wedding…That’s going to be a ‘Hoot’…:069:

15 players from the North 6 from Yorkshire and a measly 7 from the rest of England…

Just saying

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Just skip the last bit. :lol:

That IS good summer. :slight_smile:

I did Longdogs, no way I was going to park my bum on those hard church pews and sit through a two hour service just to wait for my daughters name to be read out at the end…Bugger that!..:018:

The meal was nice though…:smiley:

The 7 are the best of the bunch tho’ !

Btw One was born in Kingston, Jamaica…Who?

Pickford? :mrgreen:

The Columbians were really dirty players IMO.Watched it in Florida
Guess who won though !!!
So looking forward to Wednesday.

Wash yer’ mouth out Moscow…:cool:

Heh heh ::twisted:

Ha ha…very funny!!:slight_smile:

Wow I though there would be hundreds of comments about last night’s match on here, this morning… but I suppose you are all dealing with the fact that we didn’t win!

In my opinion our young team played well, just not well enough, because as soon as Croatia scored the equalizer they played the better game because they could see they still had a chance!
Maybe these youngsters can learn from this experience and come back as an even stronger team…but they can still be proud of their performance this time!:041:

BTW, don’t tell John that I watched the match, because he told me not to, seeing as I hadn’t watched any of the matches they won! :blush:

There are many comments in the Croatia thread Twink :wink: