Energy sources of the future

Continuing the discussion from Fracking: UK's only shale gas wells to be sealed and abandoned:
and

This thread is a combination of a couple threads that have been discussing alternative and future energy sources as a tangent of the main thread theme.

One was a thread on fracking and another was a thread on electric vehicle batteries. Both converged on the topic of alternative energy sources of the future and what can be done about the rising energy prices. There was also some talk of nuclear reactors in both threads.

What are the possible solutions to the energy problems of the world? What are the obstacles and drawbacks of each?

1 Like

Heard about kite power a few years ago.

Plus, in case anyone missed this report from a few days ago…

Which is why I think that current nuclear fuel power stations may not be the way forward. New and safer methods without the historic baggage of the past sound more likely.

I recommend a Dyson Sphere … :stars:

A Dyson sphere is a hypothetical megastructure that completely encompasses a star and captures a large percentage of its solar power output. The concept is a thought experiment that attempts to explain how a spacefaring civilization would meet its energy requirements once those requirements exceed what can be generated from the home planet’s resources alone. Because only a tiny fraction of a star’s energy emissions reaches the surface of any orbiting planet, building structures encircling a star would enable a civilization to harvest far more energy.

:dark_sunglasses:

Regarding the question on that stupid limited-time thread regarding disposal of used nuclear fuel, the only answer we have is to bury it.
However, before that is done it is enclosed in glass and (I believe) stainless steel casing in order to prevent any ingress of water (which could carry away some plutonium) and also physical damage by movement of the surrounding earth.
Having done that, the waste is buried deeply and its location recorded to prevent any unwitting interference and even approach by others. It is designed that it can remain there for thousands of years if necessary due to its half-life.
We, incidentally, are lucky to have disused mine shafts a-plenty which could be used for this purpose.

2 Likes

Cool video! What’s the current state of this technology? This video is from 2017. Looking up KPS energy brings up a lot of hits. Are they still around?

I could not have an EV even if I wanted to buy one. My incoming electric supply will not support a rapid charging point, so I would have to fund a completely new supply cable right in from the other side of my avenue. If all the neighbours wanted one too, then completely new uprated mains cables would be needed all the way from the substation transformer about 3/4 mile away AND a larger feeder transformer. None of that will happen, so no EV for me or my neighbours.
As each day passes the bright idea politicians simply bury their collective heads in the sand and blame someone else for the slow take up rate.

Thanks for that explanation JBR.

Poor you, we’re “lucky” enough to have one no more than 10 yards from our front door. It’s built on land that was originally demised to our property before the lecky people took it over.

1 Like

After I watched the 2017 video, there was another video on a documentary about kite technology. It was dated Sept. 2020. It was called the Makani project. The comments say that the Makani project folded last year.

1 Like

So. . basically not a serious response?

1 Like

Ah, now after watching that, there is a liquid sodium heat transfer boiler where sun light (heat) is focused onto the receptor and the sodium used to turn water into high pressure steam for turbine generation.
24-Hour Solar Energy: Molten Salt Makes It Possible, and Prices Are Falling Fast - Inside Climate News

1 Like

Of course it’s serious - planet Earth is now totally encircled by satellites:

https://geoxc-apps2.bd.esri.com/Visualization/sat2/index.html

There are now so many (19,000+) that they’re interfering with work of astronomers.

Starlink satellite train in the night sky.

Just a few years ago, who would have thought that possible … :man_shrugging:

That looks a very interesting proposition, LD. So much so I’ve dug a bit deeper and come up with another article about a similar solar plant in Spain. However, it seems to me that to have something similar in the UK would be “barking up the wrong tree” so to speak because we have nothing like the amount of daily sunlight that these existing installations receive.

2 Likes

Yes that would not be a sensible proposition. However, once superconductors have been perfected at a reasonable cost, there would be no limits as to how long transmission lines could be.
Each day that passes, something new is developed and not too far in the future (think generations) there will be a viable solution for every problem. What pisses me off is that I wont be around to witness interstellar travel🤬

1 Like

Hi

The problem is disposing of the medium and high level wastes.

It is simply a matter of Science versus Politics.

JBR is spot on about vitrification, the stainless encapsulation is still the subject of debate, do you encase each vitrified block, or the tunnel or both?

These are however technical matters.

The Politics are the important thing.

We do not have mines in the right place to store the high level waste, loads we can bury the low level in and a few where we can bury the medium level.

The high level needs to be buried in clay, which means SE England, a political nightmare for the Tories.

Shoving it in granite in the NW of England is very politically attractive, low property values, etc etc.

It is scientifically the worst thing to do.

Granite, slate etc fractures, clay does not.

1 Like

When reliable large payload space transport has been perfected, all of the radioactive waste can be propelled into our star, the sun. It will be consumed there by the constant chain reaction of hydrogen/helium cycle.

Magma power
What about magma power? The centre of our Earth is very hot, so why not try and get closer to it to tap into some geothermal heat? Look at the power of an erupting volcano. People in Iceland are already doing this with red-hot magma after accidentally (ooops) striking a pocket of it during a drilling project back in 2008.
World’s First Magma-enhanced Geothermal System Created in Iceland (inhabitat.com)

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. However, when we expand our nuclear power supply systems the people of SE England will have no choice in the matter. If they want a continuation of electrical power, they’ll have to put up with some mines, though not necessarily many.

We can dig deep mines there just as we have done in coal-bearing areas of the country. It didn’t take long to dig the shafts in the early 1900s and would probably take place even more quickly today. A single shaft with some radiating tunnels when a suitable depth has been reached would provide ample space for our used fuel.

How strange to see steel headgears popping up in the South-East, but how very useful for us as a nation.

On a related topic, where do you think we can actually reduce the usage of energy? Also, it seems pretty self evident that battery operated cars aren’t likely to be a viable option for a wide range of reasons. Apart from hydrogen cars, have any of you heard of any other ideas in the pipeline?

In the electric cars thread, there’s a post about sodium batteries in post #35, the second to the last post.

1 Like