Electric cars shock

You may be right, I wouldn’t know.
I don’t have a sat nav, wouldn’t know what to do with it even, so that thought never occured to me.

Providing you are only using it to drive to work over the same route, so you get to know where all the charging points are. When you eventually run out of power, try walking to the nearest garage with a petrol can in your hand. Or alternatively, roadside assistance will come out and give your car a quick charge from the diesel generator in the back of the van.

Bruce could have a fantastic SAt Nav, when he turns it on it would show only outback

Well electric does not appeal to me in the slightest, and I can’t see me changing my mind now.

If I fill up once a week now, that usually does me. Would an electric charge last a week, and does the charge go flat if the car isn’t used much?

It wouldn’t in the winter Mups while using demisters, heaters and headlights. Plus a drop in temperature would reduce battery life considerably. And with only a couple of hours of daylight, not even solar panels are going to help you, and everyone will be scrambling for the same supply of electricity to warm their houses, cook a hot meal, and charge their EV’s. Thanks to the smartmeters power will probably be rationed so there is enough to go around. And remember, figures for the expected performance of electric vehicles are based on a new battery. Every year that goes by you should expect to charge more and get less from it.
I keep a few litres of diesel in the garage just in case.

1 Like

That does it. I definitely won’t be having one now - or ever. :+1:

1 Like

You can work it out yourself. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 does 430 to 450km on one charge so if you do less than that a week then a weekly charge is fine for you.

It has a 72Kwh battery. Which takes 6 hrs to recharge from a normal power point (so you can do it overnight) or between 17 minutes and one hour from a fast charger (depends on the fast charger’s capacity)

Probably less from a UK power point ours are only 10amp.

OGF seems a bit short on facts and accuracy, just work it out yourself. For example the heater doesn’t use the battery it uses the heat generated by the liquid cooled battery.

£37,000 for a small family car? You must be joking Bruce!
:astonished:

OGF is a bit short on brass too…

It’s not a small family car its an SUV. It was also designed as an electric cars so no space is wasted for a fuel tank etc. You really must get the facts right first.

What is the range of an Ioniq 5?

Image result for hyundai ioniq 5

Range, Charging, and Battery Life
What is the range of an Ioniq 5?

Image result for hyundai ioniq 5

Range, Charging, and Battery Life

With the standard 58.0-kWh battery pack, the Ioniq 5 is estimated to provide 220 miles of range. The larger 77.4-kWh pack is rated at 256 miles with dual motors and 303 miles with a single one.
Bugger that, I can get over 500 miles on a tankfull of diesel…And 220 miles is only estimated!

Have you seen the size of a battery for an electric car Bruce? It takes up a helluva lot more space than a fuel tank.

These cars use two batteries And that battery also needs charging too…

Hi

OGF, I have a diesel, I am keeping it.

If I am lucky enough to beat the predictions, I will buy another diesel which will certainly see me out.

Electric Cars are no part of my future.

1 Like

And…?

It is flat and under the floor

Your reasons for not getting one are mostly bullshit, How many kms do you drive each week?

Personally I wouldn’t get an electric car but if I was changing my car I would definitely consider one but at my age my diesel will undoubtedly see me out.

Absolutely Swim. Same here…
:+1:

That’s an awful lot of energy requirement, especially when the price of electricity is going through the roof. When electricity here was cheaper you might have had a decent argument Bruce. Everybody in the Uk is going to want enough power to heat their homes, power their gadgets, cook their food, and now keep their transport rolling…Yeah right.
It was reported in the local paper yesterday that Balby…(An area of Doncaster) keeps being plunged into darkness because illegal cannabis factories in peoples lofts are using too much electricity…Wait while everyone needs to charge up their motor…

On a normal week, perhaps a couple of hundred…

So one charge a week will do you then.

If you had a smart meter you could charge it overnight when power is cheaper.

Sold!

Maybe to you they are Bruce.