Electric cars shock

For those that rushed out and bought one of the latest electric cars, they might be interested in this article in the paper on Sunday :

" Charging an electric car at motorway services can cost 8p a mile MORE than filling up with petrol or diesel, research reveals.

‘Which’ looked at running costs of a family Hyundai Kona, and a more pwoerful Mercedes-Benz EQC.
With a 55p per kwh ultra-rapid charger, the EQC cost 24 pence per mile. It was 16.2p for the petrol equivalent and 19.5p for diesel. The Kona cost 14.8p per mile using an ultra-rapid charger, compared to 13.6p for the petrol.

“The average cost of rapid charging has risen from 35p per kwh in December to 44p, while slower charging rates are up from 24p to 35p. This is due to the soaring cost of genereating electricity.”

So would you stilll buy electric, or stay with your petrol/diesel motor?

Mups, don’t spoil the utopia. :smiley:

Solar is still free (apart from the capital cost).

Of course, but one solar panel will get you one hundred yards per hour.

1 Like

Who installs one panel? They usually come in sets of about 5Kw otherwise it is not worth installing.

What, on a car roof?

big cars in Oz - called erhmm quick bruce wot are they called?

Holdens

How many electric cars have you seen with solar panels on the roof? This is not the Darwin Challenge rally.

Some shopping malls are even talking about free car charging for customers powered by solar on the roof, whether it happens is another matter.

This is my local shopping mall, have yet to see a car charging there.

The Holdens are the best, from the Motherland.

yea hold everything even roof solar panels - we’re big out here!

even got deserts straight after main course!!

@Bruce ,you’ve been telling us how wet it’s been in your part of Aus ,How’s that working out with solar power?

We are all aware of how much motorway services rip us off, be it fuel, electricity or the charges for food, savvy electric car buyers will find somewhere else to charge other than a service station, there’s usually somewhere to charge just off the motorway, a supermarket for example, yes I’d still buy an electric car, my journeys would suit its use.

I have not considered swapping to electric since I discovered that to have a rapid charging point fitted to the front of my house would need a larger incoming mains feed cable into the house from the road at an extortionate cost! I’m sticking with the oil burners :+1:

3 Likes

So are we we reckon that we will be under the sod before electric cars take over .

The Australians have the answer to cheap travel, Kangaroo riding, I think even Bruce is going to sign up for lessons on how to. They tell me after a few lessons your skills come on in leaps and bounds

No idea but even with so much rain the sun still shines.

I see your point Primus, but you’d need to know the area first, surely?
If I turned off a motorway in a strange area, I would waste more electric riding round for miles looking for a charging point, than it’s worth.

Actually I don’t think that is true, charging points are marked on Sat Navs and I am pretty sure that electric cars have sat navs built in so the car would take you straight to the nearest one.