Early Election Campaign

As if of typing, it’s around 398000 mark.

1 Like

Signed … 399,233 … :+1:

Not much point is there really?

2 Likes

Parliament considers all petitions that get more than 100,000 signatures for a debate

Consider, being the operative word.

I’ve seen successful petitions debated in the HoC.

How petitions work

Petitions debated in Parliament

ETA 402,837

Prime ministers are exempt from a vote of no confidence by the 1922 Committee for a year after they take office.

Your wasting your time, but just remember, every 1p rise in the pound is now costing labour about 100,0000 votes.

Get rid of Boris get rid of Brexit. Remember that ?

Still makes me laugh

1 Like

I’ve not recovered from the months it took to replace Boris Johnson.
A general election now would be hateful.

2 Likes

https://guidetoprocedure.parliament.uk/collections/rypzVu23/end-of-a-parliament-and-dissolution

MPs’ Guide to Procedure

End of a Parliament and dissolution

The formal end of a Parliament is called dissolution. Parliament is dissolved automatically 25 working days before a general election. The Fixed-Term Parliaments Act 2011 provides that general elections take place every five years on the first Thursday in May.

It also provides for early general elections if

• either, the House agrees a motion that there should be an early general election (which, if decided on a division, requires the support of two-thirds of the House’s total membership),

• or, the House fails to agree a vote of confidence in a new Government within 14 days of a vote of no confidence in the Government holding office

Parliament is normally prorogued a few days before dissolution takes place. At prorogation, all parliamentary business ends but Parliament continues to exist until dissolution.

Dissolution triggers the start of the general election campaign. It also begins the period of ‘purdah’: the convention that the Government doesn’t make major policy announcements or enter into significant commitments during the run up to an election.

When Parliament is dissolved, every seat in the House of Commons becomes vacant. You’re no longer an MP and mustn’t use this title. The House and IPSA issue detailed guidance before dissolution for MPs and their staff. The facilities that the House provides are no longer available to you from 5pm on the day of dissolution.

Before the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act, the decision to bring a Parliament to an end and hold a general election held lay in the hands of the Prime Minister, who was able to advise the Queen to exercise the prerogative power to dissolve Parliament.

The bye elections don’t reflect the dodgy poll data one bit.

2 Likes

If only you knew that before you wouldn’t have wasted people’s time

Not disagreeing with you, considered and debated…lovely words, but I do prefer the word actioned.
I believe there was a petition some time back for the government to recognise that dolphins being sentient beings should have the vote, it got shedloads of votes.

Anyone and his dog can set up a petition

Maybe it’ll not amount to anything. The number of votes cast in a GE is around 45 million, and if this petition gets up into the millions thrn maybe Truss will be forced into having a bit of a rethink by her back benchers.

1 Like

Who are allegedly already looking to get rid of her…this country is getting like a third world banana republic, all we need is someone in a military uniform and a badly fitting beret to appear live on tv and tell us there has been a military coup.

3 Likes

Removing the whip from back stabbing Sunak will sort that out

Go on, then … see if you get 500,000 votes … and a debate in Parliament … :wink:

ETA … 408,722

(1) I couldn’t find that one on the list.

I am not having a pop mate, just trying to say that they are pointless, nothing changes

1 Like

So who would end up being elected if Truss was ejected?
Sir Keir Starmer…?
To quote a friend…“They are different cheeks on the same arse”

2 Likes

Currently 435,333:bookmark_tabs:

1 Like

An early GE seems very likely - but I think most of us knew this when they got rid of Boris. Truss wasn’t voted in, nobody really wants her - even many in her own party it seems.

At least Starmer wants to build a state owned energy company!

4 Likes