Don't you just hate that? other people's cigarette smoke

There are several smokers where I work. They really do reek. I tell them they stink but they do not care. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I never really took to cigarettes although I had a pipe for a while in my early twenties.

2 Likes

I used to roll my own cigarettes using Golden Virginia tobacco. I could roll them by hand but mostly used a Rizla rolling machine.

It was common practice to keep a bit of vegetable such as potato or cabbage leaf in with the tobacco to keep it moist. I personally preferred it to be somewhat dried out though and would spread out newly bought tobacco over the sideboard and leave it until it felt drier. I thought it gave a better smoke that way.

It was quite a ritual to give up doing. All part of the addiction I suppose. I failed giving up a couple of times but a letter sent to me and the GP from the hospital included the words ‘Must stop smoking’ written big red letters. That was the final encouragement needed …and so I did. Never think about it now.

Still got some Golden Virginia 2 ounce tins. They make good storage boxes for screws, nails etc. Also used in my tool-case for carrying resistors, capacitors, transistors during my working days.

4 Likes

And the smell of stale mucky carpets - before the ban pubs didn’t bother to clean them. After the ban pub landlords had to get the carpets steam cleaned as regularly as they could afford to do so!

Not many people seem to smoke these days - but I used to get annoyed at those who would smoke and hold the cigarette away from themselves so the smoke would be over the person standing next to them. I don’t like the vapour you get from vapes - there are clouds of it and many have strange “flavours”.

1 Like

People should be more tolerant…
If you don’t like cigarette smoke, avoid going near someone who is smoking.
It’s been banned in all work places, public buildings and restaurants where it could spoil the enjoyment of those who either don’t smoke or who have stopped smoking so what’s the problem?
Perhaps it’s the ‘holier than thou’ people adopting the high moral ground and saying “Look at me, aren’t I good because I don’t smoke”…Lets dig into the ribs of those who enjoy a smoke.
Well people don’t own the great outdoors, so if you don’t like the smell, move on and let the smokers enjoy their fag, and thank the Lord that either you never smoked or were able to stop because while you were enjoying your fag (if you were a smoker) think of all the people who were annoyed with you…

4 Likes

A good thing about not smoking. Walls and ceilings don’t need repainting half so often. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When i met my husband a trillion years ago, he was a smoker as i was in those days.
I remember the first time i went to his place and noticed all the ceilings were painted in a shade of brown, which he explained was to mask the nicotine stains!

Those were the days! :grinning:

1 Like

A single Benson and Hedges Cigarette is £0.87p so, if you accidentally get a duff of someone’s secondhand smoke, you can console yourself that you got £0.20p’s FOC. Also, if you are close enough to get a whiff, you are probably close enough to catch one of the many airborne viruses that seem to be doing the rounds at the moment.

2 Likes

I don’t think it is a “holier than thou” attitude, it is the thoughtless attitude of some smokers. If I am sitting or standing somewhere and a smoker comes along, lights up and is unaware of the smoke drifting over me - why should I be the one to move. In the past I have politely pointed out to a smoker that their smoke is covering me and to please move their cigarette to their other hand - most have apologised and complied with my request.

2 Likes

When I was a smoker I would have done the same Sheila, and tried to avoid my smoke drifting in your direction, however…If you were walking down the street would you tap on a drivers window and ask them to turn off their engine or drive on the other side of the road if the exhaust fumes were bothering you? And the fumes would probably be a lot worse than second hand cigarette smoke…Of course not, you would avoid walking alongside the road if you were that concerned. By the way…Do you drive? The fumes from a vehicle are more dangerous to more people than a casual whiff of cigarette smoke…

1 Like

Sorry OGF but the difference is like apples and oranges!! Yes I do drive, yes I am aware that exhaust fumes are harmful. However, cigarette smoke can be avoided, if I see a smoker I wouldn’t go and stand next to them. Until a cost effective, reliable source of transport (preferable public transport) is found then the fumes from car exhausts are, regrettably, unavoidable.

2 Likes

My friend retired from a long nursing career last year. She has never smoked. Her husband, who also works in the NHS smokes like a trooper despite twice having had heart attacks and heart surgery. She says he will never give up despite knowing all the dangers.

Often I lend her books and they always stink of smoke when she returns them. She thinks he doesn’t smoke in the house but he clearly does!

I bumped into him out shopping last week and he stinks so much it’s like he has been lighting a bonfire. It was truly overpowering.

1 Like

Yes I truly hate it.
I had a most inconsiderate sister in law. who could not leave her ciggie more than five minutes, even while pregnant she occasionally smoked and even with her new born in the living room.

I have asthma and ,so has one of my kids, so I avoided her like the pest, but we used to fly back home once a year for a big family snowy Xmas skying holiday and at some point I was so fed up, instead of renting a huge family mountain cottage, I rented 4 seperate apartments, and when came the Christmas Eve dinner, we left our kids down to a party with their nanny in our rented apartment and attended the family dinner without them.

It was no big deal for them as they were 1 and a half year old and 3 and normally celebrated xmas on the 25th back home.
But we were the villains for not bringing them to the party to entertain their cousins. :flushed:

I was very explicit and said , sorry my son has asthma, like me, and is not to be around smoking people. Obviously, even on a once a year xmas dinner family reunion with all family cousins, my sis in law could not be civilised enough to go and smoke on the balcony for all the kids sake.

On Xmas day though she eventually went to smoke outside, the penny dropped, else I would have been living the party with my kids, to celebrate privately. but eventually the penny dropped. She understood I would have a zero tolerance.

These people are utterly selfish, Bretnick I really feel for you , if you need to endure this in a working environment, this is wrong and illegal in most countries.

1 Like

Back in the day (not that long ago) smoking wasn’t frowned on - romantic scenes in films often included two people smoking a cigarette while gazing into each others eyes, and we still see those films today.

Only last week i watched Now Voyager, where Paul Henreid lights two cigarettes, hands one to Bette Davis as she says “Dont let’s ask for the moon - we have the stars”.

Great stuff. :wink:

2 Likes

that’s one of the reasons smoking became seen as glamorous and sophisticated. You never saw Hollywood actors coughing their lungs out or struggling for every breath with emphysema. It was big business for the smoking manufacturers.

2 Likes

I’m sure they’ll eventually get round to ‘airbrushing’ cigarettes out of those romantic scenes.
I’m rather surprised they haven’t done so already given the PC world we now live in.

1 Like

I thought vapes were designed to help kick the habit of smoking. I find it ludicrous that now those people seem to be addicted to vapes.
So strange, where I work half a dozen people who smoked now use vapes. One decided to try it, then the others followed ad have been vaping for 12 months now. :slightly_smiling_face:

Until 2004 I smoked 16 cigarettes a day Rose, I can be quite precise because I religiously smoked one cigarette an hour (there was a good reason for that, but it’s another story) I returned from a long run one Sunday morning in May of that year and lit up a ciggy. They always tasted great after a run, just like your first ever cigarette…
But this particular Sunday I felt strange as I stubbed it out and proceeded to have a heart attack…That would be the last cigarette I would ever smoke. Although I had tried to stop smoking before it had always failed because I always enjoyed smoking, but this time I never even gave it a second thought, and it was easy never to smoke again to this day
As my sense of smell returned I was amazed, I had no idea how much people who smoke smell…I would have been one of them, but I still love the smell of smoke in the air.

2 Likes

Snap! Still use them.

I gave up smoking 40 years ago so they have seen better days and there’s a ring in

3 Likes