Don't you just hate that? other people's cigarette smoke

I dislike being around cigarette smoke, always have.
It bothers my lungs, eyes start watering, and then my
asthmatic cough begins.

Oddly, I don’t mind being around cigar smoke or smoking
a pipe smells, for short periods of time.

1 Like

It’s weird you know, because I’ve never smoked in my life but I don’t mind the smell

Maybe never smoked non smokers don’t find it as awful as ex smokers?

I also think I might be a bit of a nicotine addict from passive smoking. Growing up with my granny she was a 40 a day lady and my first husband was a heavy smoker, cigars too

I find the smell quite pleasant and sometimes when I used to pass a gaggle of smokers outside the station in the evening I used to think it it looked and smelled nice and relaxing

The only thing I don’t like is the ashtrays the next morning, they really do smell like vomit

2 Likes

I used to work where the boss always smoked cigars.
That was very convenient because you didn’t have to see him to know he would appear and it gave you time to look busy.

1 Like

I’m also a non smoker but I don’t mind the smell of cigarettes at all.
The smell that does make me feel sick is people who have been eating garlic, especially if they sit next to you on public transport.
Don’t they realise how much they stink?

3 Likes

Do smokers not realise they smell like a ashtray ,yuk

3 Likes

I didn’t really like it when smoking was banned in pubs. It seems to have killed the atmosphere but, I suppose, passive smoking might be killing other people. Although I didn’t smoke myself. Beer seems to have got more expensive so the all night sessions of the eighties are a thing of the past.

1 Like

Can’t agree with that, it was long overdue. I am still annoyed that the State government allowed smoking areas for poker machine users. They should have just banned it rather than making exceptions for a powerful lobby group. There are only 8% of adults smoking here now - good result.

Seeing someone actually smoking is now uncommon enough to be remarked on.

4 Likes

one of the few good things about high taxes and a cost of living crisis - you don’t see or smell so many people smoking actual cigarettes these days. They are a very expensive addiction in the UK. We do have a neighbour who likes to smoke outside too though. It can be very annoying on a hot summers day.

1 Like

I know what you mean but at the same time it happened just after I quit so that was great. For quite a few years I couldn’t bear to be in a room or even close to anyone smoking. It took me a long time to get over the damage I caused my air passages and I will never smoke again. But before all that in my youth, having a drink and cigarette was a perfect pairing. Or that luxurious combination of a coffee and ciggie after a meal. You would make new friends sharing cigarettes or lights. It was a great way to start a conversation. I really loved smoking at one point in my life.

2 Likes

Actually my final test to prove I had successfully given up smoking was to go to the pub/club and drink all evening without having a smoke. I left staggering but very happy.

2 Likes

I remember finding it really weird going into a pub when they first banned smoking. It smelt funny, you could never smell the alcohol or sweaty people before they banned cigarettes.

1 Like

I gave up smoking in long before it was banned, I smoked between 30 and 40 a day. I gave it up in 1983 because a packet of 20 was getting towards $1 a packet.

I went cold turkey - after about 2 weeks my sense of smell started to return, all my clothes stank of tobacco smoke straight out of the cupboard. Had to wash everything including all the curtains, bedding and getting the carpets cleaned. It was truly awful, even my non smoking wife’s clothes had to be washed. God knows how she put up with it, she only smoked marijuana.

That is why smokers don’t know about the smell because they cannot smell it.

3 Likes

There are several smokers where I work. They really do reek. I tell them they stink but they do not care. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I never really took to cigarettes although I had a pipe for a while in my early twenties.

2 Likes

I used to roll my own cigarettes using Golden Virginia tobacco. I could roll them by hand but mostly used a Rizla rolling machine.

It was common practice to keep a bit of vegetable such as potato or cabbage leaf in with the tobacco to keep it moist. I personally preferred it to be somewhat dried out though and would spread out newly bought tobacco over the sideboard and leave it until it felt drier. I thought it gave a better smoke that way.

It was quite a ritual to give up doing. All part of the addiction I suppose. I failed giving up a couple of times but a letter sent to me and the GP from the hospital included the words ‘Must stop smoking’ written big red letters. That was the final encouragement needed …and so I did. Never think about it now.

Still got some Golden Virginia 2 ounce tins. They make good storage boxes for screws, nails etc. Also used in my tool-case for carrying resistors, capacitors, transistors during my working days.

4 Likes

And the smell of stale mucky carpets - before the ban pubs didn’t bother to clean them. After the ban pub landlords had to get the carpets steam cleaned as regularly as they could afford to do so!

Not many people seem to smoke these days - but I used to get annoyed at those who would smoke and hold the cigarette away from themselves so the smoke would be over the person standing next to them. I don’t like the vapour you get from vapes - there are clouds of it and many have strange “flavours”.

1 Like

People should be more tolerant…
If you don’t like cigarette smoke, avoid going near someone who is smoking.
It’s been banned in all work places, public buildings and restaurants where it could spoil the enjoyment of those who either don’t smoke or who have stopped smoking so what’s the problem?
Perhaps it’s the ‘holier than thou’ people adopting the high moral ground and saying “Look at me, aren’t I good because I don’t smoke”…Lets dig into the ribs of those who enjoy a smoke.
Well people don’t own the great outdoors, so if you don’t like the smell, move on and let the smokers enjoy their fag, and thank the Lord that either you never smoked or were able to stop because while you were enjoying your fag (if you were a smoker) think of all the people who were annoyed with you…

4 Likes

A good thing about not smoking. Walls and ceilings don’t need repainting half so often. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When i met my husband a trillion years ago, he was a smoker as i was in those days.
I remember the first time i went to his place and noticed all the ceilings were painted in a shade of brown, which he explained was to mask the nicotine stains!

Those were the days! :grinning:

1 Like