Don't you just hate that? other people's cigarette smoke

Opened my back door last night and my place filled with the stench of my neighbour’s cigarette smoke

1 Like

When I smoked it didn’t bother me now I don’t it does.
I did try a pipe too.I found the nicest smelling pipe tobacco,the worst it tasted. :thinking:

3 Likes

It’s around 38 years since I smoked but other people smoking close by doesn’t bother me.

3 Likes

Hate it.

2 Likes

Me neither Mart. I’ve been stopped for 20 years this year, and a whiff of someones smoke drifting through the air sometimes smells quite aromatic and brings back some happy memories, but I’m glad I don’t do it anymore.

2 Likes

My dad was a big pipe smoker, had a whole collection of pipes, did try it but there was only one brand of tobacco I liked, Clan. Gave it up many years back, never really was a ‘proper’ smoker…

2 Likes

I gave the pipe a go back in the day and Clan was my baccie of choice. It smelt delicious Kenty… :nose:

2 Likes

Indeed, always reminded me of Cream Soda…

2 Likes

It is such a rare thing to smell these days, so few people smoke. Occasionally you see someone having a furtive fag the required 4 metres from a building entrance and even less often you catch a whiff of it when the door opens to the “smokers” poker machines at the club if the wind is in the right direction.

1 Like

I have never smoked in my life and I really, really can’t stand it. But there is one thing worse than other people’s smoke - other people’s smoke when eating.

Some years ago, we were on a trip to Switzerland where smoking is allowed in restaurants (this was a few years ago), but we didn’t know this at the time. So in we go started eating and someone lit up. It was disgusting and vile and all I could do to restrain myself from doing something this individual. Never ate in a Swiss restaurant again.

1 Like

My neighbour smokes, i can smell it when out in the garden in summer, it doesn’t bother me.
If i pass someone smoking in the street, again not concerned at all - but like Graham wouldn’t be happy about it when having a meal out.
We no longer have that problem in the UK.

2 Likes

Considering that people can die of second hand smoke, it bothers me quite a bit. I’m glad it’s not allowed in most restaurants and public buildings these days.

1 Like

I remember being in Macca’s in Madrid some years back now. Not only could you buy some horrible cheap beer to wash down your food smoking was permitted too. The sight and smell of spilt booze and fag ash mixed in with smears of tomato ketchup on the tables stays with me to this day :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

It does nothing for the appetite either i agree.

2 Likes

I’m also glad that smoking is not allowed in restaurants and public buildings, but I think you would need to absorb lots of second hand smoke for it to be a problem Butterscotch, even less harmful than walking down the street or using air fresheners. Air fresheners are as repulsive to me as some people find second hand smoke.

1 Like

Roy Castle died of lung cancer and never smoked. Passive smoking in the clubs he played in.

3 Likes

He might as well have been a smoker with the amount of smoke he must have consumed in those smokey pubs and clubs. My friends mother was asked how many cigarettes she smoked when visiting the chest clinic a few years ago. They were surprised when she told them that she had never smoked, but her husband was a forty a day man.
In the days of Roy Castle everybody had a coal fire so I don’t suppose that helped.
I doubt very much that in todays climate of clean air people would be exposed to that much second hand smoke.

2 Likes

I have never smoked,i can`t stand the smell of cigarette smoke.
Out for a nice walk and get some fresh air and smokers /vapers walk past,ignorance springs to mind.

2 Likes

I’ve been smoking for over 50 years. I agree, I don’t like second hand smoke, even my own.
I show respect to others when I smoke. I get away from other people when I smoke.
The thing that surprises me the most is that , back to my grandparents were / are smoker and none of them died from cancer. They all died in there late 80’s and 90’s.

2 Likes

I would say that cancer attacks the lungs like it would attack other organs of the body, and not always caused by smoking, or passive smoking.

How about exposure to asbestos?

We all grew up in a time when asbestos was everywhere and used in so many things - hard to know how, when, or where we were exposed to it, as most of us probably were at some point.

Two close family members have died from asbestos related lung cancer (Mesothelioma) and both were non smokers.

1 Like