Doing a dangerous thing

I love it when the heading is " : thinking to yourself" causes such debate, quite amusing really. In the blue corner we have for, and in the red corner we have against. So let’s touch gloves and have a clean fight. :sunglasses:. Am I a wind up merchant? You bet I am

I have said before, and I still stand by it, that I believe that Scotland remaining in the UK is the best thing for us both. We have worked together, fought together and advanced the progress of science together for hundreds of years.

However, if the Scotch - sorry Scots - really want their independence, and I don’t believe that the majority really do, then let them go. (And I’ll still buy their whisky).

I believe it is a minority (the SNP, though how a minority always seem to win the elections I don’t know) who want Scottish independence and not the majority.

Experience.

I love Scotland & would be sad if it was no longer part of the UK. Apart from the big cities, much of the open countryside reminds me of how beautiful England was in the past. …small towns & villages where people knew each other.
What worries me is that, if independent, will they use all that beautiful countryside to increase income, by allowing more industries to be built on the peaceful open lands & spoil it, as much of England has been spoiled !

If you look at the turnout figures JBR they might give you an answer. At the 2021 Scottish election the turnout was 63.5% and the 2014 referendum turnout was 84.6%. The referendum is taken far more seriously.

Does that suggest that the majority of Scots have given up?
If non-SNP candidates stand for election in Scotland, do people refuse to vote for them,
or are they afraid of doing so?

Voter apathy I suppose. In the 2019 UK election the turnout was slightly higher at 67.3%

And sharp as a knife, with it. :slightly_smiling_face:

It might not be in Scotland’s economic interest to leave the UK, just as it wasn’t in the UK’s economic interest to leave the EU, but all those who supported Brexit on the principle of not wanting to be dominated ba an outside authority should be fully able to understand that Scotland might feel the same about being dominated by one. Just a thought. :102:

1 Like

But the SNP want to be under the authority of the EU Harbal so it doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

Perhaps they feel a partnership with the EU has advantages that a partnership with the UK doesn’t. :102:

1 Like

Well good luck to them then.
The EU is beginning to sink. If they really want to sink with it, that’s their choice.

On the other hand, I cannot see much of a future for the UK either.
Our leaders contintue to invite in ever more of the third world - illegally! - and they show no signs of reducing their numbers once here either. The chances are that once here, they will be given everything they hope for, at our expense, for ever.
The future of the UK is clear.

Yes — but why? What’s going on?

Regarding what? The UK or the EU?

The continuing welcoming of the rubber boat criminal invaders. It defies all logic.

1 Like

And a hard border with their biggest trading partner.
Export Statistics Scotland: 2019 - gov.scot)%20from%20%C2%A324.5%20billion.

You’re telling me.
I have no idea what advantage our glorious leaders see in continuing to allow all of these illegals to enter our country, and whenever they arrive to reward them with everything they ever hoped for.

Perhaps they have some logical reason, but I certainly can’t see it.

What do all politicians hope for? Personal benefit, I suspect. But what?

I am not making an argument for it, I’m just saying I can understand the possible reasons for it.

1 Like

Fair enough Harbal but I live up here and find it difficult to understand the reasoning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Too ruddy true Todge and nothing is frikkin done about the tight-pack daily incursions🤬

1 Like