Dogs in this heatwave

Just found this on the KC website and thought it worth sharing:

How do I know if the pavement is too hot for my dog?

The best way to tell if a pavement is too hot for your dog to walk on is to place the back of your hand on the pavement for seven seconds. If it’s too painful for your hand, then it’s too painful for your dog’s paws.

I just went outside barefoot, and the patio burnt my feet within 3 seconds!

2 Likes

same here Mups, its unbelievable hot out there , not suitable for any animal .

1 Like

I had to go for a blood test this morning, and on my way home I pass a Llama farm.
Those poor creatures were outside in wired off enclosures, with not so much as a tree to stand under for shade. I couldn’t see whether they had water or not, but most of them laying down on the burnt, dead grass, so Gawd knows what they could eat.

I was so annoyed, I felt like reporting them.

1 Like

Maybe you should have…not in a bad vindictive way, but at least someone could have checked up on them (in an official capacity) and made sure they were ok. I found this - its for Arizona mind you, but still has a checklist for what to do
https://urbanlivestockvet.com/content/preventing-heat-stress-llamas-and-alpacas

Thanks Pixie. Perhaps I will make a couple of phone calls tomorrow and see how the land lies.
I have also seen these animals on the same small patch when it has started to flood too. It’s by the river, you see.

1 Like

Poor wee souls…yes I would phone just for a welfare check… It could be that their owner is ill or somehow unable to look after them at the moment.

I was reading this from the British Llama society - I didn’t realise they made such great pets!

(Also I am so sorry for derailing your thread from dogs to llama’s!)

Back to topic…yes my John hasn’t enjoyed today very much. I think two days on the run of this hot weather is a bit much now. I just gave her a shower and she is sulking with me so I’m trying to get back in her good books by letting her have a couple of juicy ice cubes to lick :dog:

No probs Pixie. It was me that started on about Llamas anyway.
I’ll have a read of that link, thanks. :+1:

Who to?

What, who should I phone, you mean?

I might try the local RSPCA for starters, although my expereiences with them in the past have not been at all helpful.
Or maybe ask the council? I don’t really know yet, Todger.

On that site, if you click on Contact Us, there is a list of people who run the British Llama society, and they each have telephone numbers and emails. Theres a guy called Tim Crowfoot on the list who deals (it seems) with Health & Welfare. It lists his contact tel. number and email address. That might be a start?

Thanks very much Pixie.
I’ll perhaps take a ride down there again tomorrow, and see if they are still stuck on that same small patch, and see if I can get a better look first.

2 Likes

The other day, when trying to decide if an early evening walk was ok, I went and stood bare foot on the pavement opposite (walking over in my shoes first), and it wasn’t uncomfortable so risked the walk. But made sure to stay in shady areas.

I really can’t see why anyone keeps llamas .
They are only useful if you live in the Andes and need to carry stuff up and down a mountain .

As I was walking back fro the shops today I noticed a dog bowl full of water left on the pavement at the end of someone’s drive … presumably for any thirsty little mutt who ambled on by?

I thought it was a lovely thought but I don’t think I can bend down that low anymore.

1 Like

Don’t they shear them for the wool, Muddy?
What about their meat, is that sold too?

1 Like

You can make jumpers out of their wool but who does ?
It means shearing and spinning .
I expect you can eat them but they are usually kept as pets not as food .

Bet you’d have tried if it was a nice cold G & T though. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Seriously though, yes, it is a nice thought putting the bowl out, they sometimes have them outside shops here as well. I wouldn’t let mine drink from them though, because I don’t know how long it’s been there. I have seen a couple that look like they’ve been there for a week, and it bothers me about slugs and snails, other dogs cocking their leg up, or even the nutty-dog haters putting something nasty in there.

I know this probably sounds a bit OTT, but I remember reading of several cases where some nutters had been dropping slices of cooked sausage about for animals to pick up in the woods, and then it was discovered they contained nails and broken glass! So mine don’t have anything from an unknown source, though it is a pity for thirsty animals if its genuine kindness.

Here you are Muddy, just found this.

What is the purpose of having a llama?

" Llamas raised commercially in the United States today are raised for companion animals, shows, wool, and fertilizer. They also can serve as livestock guardians, protecting sheep, goats, and other animals from predators."

As for the wool, not many people buy sheep fleeces and spin it themselves either, but perhaps the wool mills buy it - dunno.
Many years ago when I had a tame black sheep, Penny, I remember my Mum tried spinning her wool. I had a photo of her doing it somewhere in the archives.

This was my old ‘Penny.’ She used to jump in the back of my old van with me and come out with the dogs. We sure got some funny looks!

Penny & Shep

1 Like

Because of the summer heat here we go out walking at 4am.However little did I realize that she wants to do it in the winter as well.

Perhaps you could carry a straw with you.

1 Like