Dogs in this heatwave

:rofl: :rofl: … I never thought of that!

I learned something today. I thought Alpacas and Llamas were the same animal. There are a lot of Alpacas farmed near me but it turns out they are not the same.

Llamas are bigger too.

Anyway back to dogs…

Dogs seem to cope with the high temperatures of footpaths quite well in summer though they are not stupid and will walk along shadow and lighter surfaces if they can. They act like lizards and just keep lifting their feet so they don’t get burnt, I have never seen a dog with shoes, dingoes definitely don’t wear them…

People should maybe get together and give over some water to these Llamas, a couple of times a day…it’s a nice thought. If you take with you some plant water sprays and spray water onto their backs, that might make them a lot more comfortable.

There are a couple of stalls in York market that sell stuff made from Llama wool - hats, jumpers, bags etc., I think there is a Llama farm somewhere along the A19 (Northbound)

Not seen it on sale here, Mups, but I would imagine some places sell it.

Didn’t some old dear in “The Archers” keep Llamas?

If a llama has a thick woolly coat like a sheep the inner body temperature will be lower it is insulated against the heat .
Most llamas are kept for ornament only there are lots in the Cotswolds anyone lucky enough to have a couple of acres sticks some llamas on ithem .

1 Like

Llamas an Alpacas here are grown mainly for their fibre but they are also used to protect flocks of sheep from foxes because of their size and nature.

Of course some are kept as a hobby but I think most have some commercial purpose

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/small-landholders-western-australia/basics-alpaca-keeping

That’s what they say here but we have no dingos and I have yet to see a real sheep farmer keeping a llama with his flock , an alpaca is not that big I would think dingos could kill it as easily as a sheep .