Dog sitter negligence

This is truly unbelievable, are there no rules for this or can anyone just start up.

1 Like

Hi
Government Policy is to deregulate as much as possible.

a very sad story and timely reminder to take care - I have a dog and cat who I love both very much and am always turning the aircon on and off during a 24 hr period to give them good coverage. condolences cinderella

Poor dog - that is heartbreakijng. Can’t read the full article without switching off my adblocker - but I hope something really horrible happened to the one responsible!

1 Like

I’m not sure if there are rules (like a licence or training), so anyone could probably start up and fling out a few business cards. Insurance though…? I would have thought they would have insurance against this. Not that it will remotely help the poor family who lost their pet, mind you.

1 Like

Not my pet, if it was legal proceedings would be in the offing.

3 Likes

Best that you do not read this article, it is shocking.

Along with some other helpful additions…like some rocks :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Failed on all this criteria.

Conditions

The council will inspect your premises before giving you a licence. They may carry out additional inspections any time after it’s granted.

You must prove that you can meet the licence conditions. These include showing that the animals are:

kept in suitable accommodation
given adequate food, drink and bedding
visited and exercised regularly
protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease
protected in case of an emergency, like a fire
looked after by people who are trained to care for the animals

Why was a vet not called? Why no access to the garden?
Have some thoughts. :zipper_mouth_face:
Vale of Glamorgan Council said the sitter does not hold a dog boarding licence and police are investigating.

Not surprised in the least.

Hi

You are quoting the wrong statutory requirements.
I know you are upset by this incident, however facts are facts.

The dog was placed via an agency in the sitters house, not in a kennels.

Any formal action would have to be taken against the agency and the burden of proof is beyond all reasonable doubt and there are a multitude of exemptions in the statutory guidance

Thanks for making it clear, should not post when hopping mad.

I have to admit that I have looked into using people from BorrowMyDoggy, but have since been let down. I now have bookings with a licensed carer near me, who Holly adores. With regards to Rover and BMD, I don’t really see how sitters and borrowers can be fully vetted.

I read the article in full. That truly was a horrific incident.

1 Like

Truly shocking. Despicable dog sitter. I hope we never need to experience something like that.

I believe dog sitters have to belicenced if they board dogs at the sitters own premises, but don’t think they have to be licenced if they look after dogs in the owners home though.
I might be wrong though.

I do know I could never, ever forgive them though.
How that poor dog must have suffered, and even more so because of being a Brachycephalic (squashed nose) breed.

Hi

It seems horrible doesn’t it?

For a prosecution to take place it has to go
through legal.
In the case of the Police, it is the CPS who take the decision to prosecute, other agencies have their own systems.

In any event all prosecutions have to pass two tests.
Is there a reasonable chance of a conviction and is a prosecution in the Public Interest?

Let us imagine that in this instance legal is called Lorraine.

Lorraine is in her late ,30s, a very well dressed, very quietly spoken lady who has her own dog.

She is also nobody’s fool .

The conversation would go like this.

Defence Lawyer.

Bulldogs are known to have severe medical issues and short lives, in fact the recent view of the Veterinary Profession is that the breed cannot be saved in it’s current form.

What proof have you that the dog was fit and well when it was delivered to my client?
You allege that the dog died as a result of excessive heat.

Can you provide the post mortem proving this?

You state that the external temperature was 27C when you arrived.

You arrived during the day, it is colder at nights. What was the temperature inside at night?.

Case dismissed, accused gets lots of damages for malicious prosecution and the mental anguish they have suffered.

A little smile and then you would get

No Chance at all, I am not going to make myself look an idiot in Court.

Unfortunately, Swimmy, your scenario sounds all too feasible. All too often criminals get away with crimes because the CPS don’t want to prosecute - for whatever reason.

I would never leave my cats with a sitter - other than a neighbour or a family friend whom they knew and in whose company they were comfortable.

2 Likes

I am a member of trusted house sitters although the truth is we have only done two because we are always off somewhere ourselves .
However when I have sat some ones else’s animals I am very careful with them . When I pet sit for my son the biggest worry for me is one of their dearly loved cats which roams and also follows the dogs when we take them for a walk . I am always afraid he will get run over . So I try to sneak out without him seeing us .

2 Likes

Other than a long weekend in Norfolk a few years back, I haven’t had a holiday for at least 40 years, mainly because I won’t leave my dogs. If they can’t come, then I don’t go.

I worked in two boarding establishments when I was younger, and seeing how some dogs are once their owners have walked away . . . Nah, I wouldn’t do that to mine, especially my youngest who I don’t think would manage too well if she didn’t have me around.

2 Likes

We understand Mups.