Do you worry about dementia?

With the sad news yesterday that Bruce Willis has dementia has it made you think about dementia? There have been so many well known people diagnosed recently including actors and sportspeople.

I was talking to a friend recently and her father died of dementia as did my Mum and we both admitted we worry about getting it and keep looking out for the signs.

I have other friends of a similar age and several of them keep repeating themselves and I worry that I do this so now when I start telling them something I say ā€œstop me if I have told you this before.ā€ And they assure me I havenā€™t so maybe it is just an age thing and I am thinking too much into it.

1 Like

Yes I do now since Ive seen how bad my mums got it , It fills me with dread thinking I might end up like that . Death carnt come soon enough for her and I think it will be a blessing when it does .

2 Likes

I once put a spoonful of sugar in an opened coffee jar.
I had given up sugar around 10 years earlier.
That was in 1983ish.

= Have you ever searched, high and low, for your glasses, while wearing them?
= Have you walked into a room to do something and said, ā€œWhat did I come in here for?ā€
= Have you ever put a movie on your player, sat down, and forgotten which movie you put on?
= Have you ever put an empty mug in a microwave?

I could add to that list, all day long. Those events had, in my life, nothing to do with dementiaā€¦just badly off-target thinking and concentration.

The Bruce Willis thing has me wondering, also, though! Bruce Lee used to be like a God, to me. In 1988, Bruce Willis changed all that, and my hero became ā€œJohn McClaneā€, in ā€œDie Hardā€ (1). I wish that this was not happening to him - I really do.

2 Likes

Working in a care home I see the full effects of dementia, but whatā€™s the point of worrying, you canā€™t do anything about it, just live life to the full as best you can, enjoy the things that give you pleasure while you canā€¦.

2 Likes

yes ive done those forgetful things,and i was told i was over thinking and had to much on my mind .
I think this does happen and we should try and let go and stop carrying so much rubbish about .

Dementia is when you wear too small a pair of knickers or underpants and wonder why you have a headache

One of my elderly neighbours has been diagnosed with it :cry: she is such a lovely person.

Another reason why I love saunas:

Middle aged men in Finland who take a sauna more than four times a week are two thirds less likely to develop Alzheimerā€™s disease or dementia over a 20 year period.

Researchers at the University of Eastern Finland followed 2,315 men aged 42-60 years for 20 years as part of the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Study. Men who reported taking a sauna 4-7 times per week were 66% less likely to receive a diagnosis of dementia than those who only sauna once a week. They were also 65% less likely to receive a diagnosis of Alzheimerā€™s disease.

1 Like

Yep, worry about it a bit, but worry more about my feet, they pay the bills. :cry: :icon_wink:

About three years ago I got seriously ill but I survived. For quite a while I didnā€™t what I was doing. Dementia was discussed by the doctors not that I had any clue. I was allowed to go home with a nurse/therapist help with to help my problem. It was diagnosed as aphasia. It is still a problem for me.

I always wonder if Doctors and nurses will have problems further down the line, and lets face it, they have witnessed much attrition along the way, that must be hard to resist.

Think about ā€¦ what?

1 Like

Time to worry is when you have to deal with these things, not before, ā€¦ if you canā€™t change it, why worry about it and spoil your life needelessly beforehand.

As an ex-smoker I trust Iā€™m safe in the knowledge that cancer will get me before my brain gives out.
Thereā€™s some wisdom in this ā€¦
ā€˜Pick your poison when young ā€¦ leave the rest in the hands of Fate, Nature or your God, if you have oneā€™.

1 Like

Morty, you will be OK, one thing is certain (Citation Needed) you will not be the last Man standing. :laughing:

1 Like

Or join me cold water swimming!

1 Like

I live with dementia every day. My husband was diagnosed about four years ago.

He doesnā€™t remember Iā€™ve had a heart attack and although he knows weā€™ve got a different car now he doesnā€™t remember me having a car crash with the old one.

An entire block of his memory has gone. He canā€™t remember any holidays weā€™ve had or places weā€™ve been. Even going on an aeroplane for the first time - he was terrified of flying. For 40 years he ran his own business but memory of that has gone tooā€¦

Heā€™s so isolated and lonely. He canā€™t join in any conversation because he doesnā€™t understand what people are talking about. Mostly people ignore him and that hurts me a lot. I just wish theyā€™d make an attempt to talk to him, if only for a few minutesā€¦

He is still so loving and loves cuddles. Itā€™s my pleasure to take care of him but I get lonely too, not being able to have a proper conversation with him. If I didnā€™t see other people I would go mad.

I want to care for him for the rest of my life but donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able too if/when he gets worse.
I try not to think of the futureā€¦

7 Likes

Iā€™m not that brave Mary :lol:

Tho we kinda do both with saunas - after every 20 minutes we go under a freezing cold shower. The funny thing is that when you go back in the sauna then you almost feel like youā€™re glowing, itā€™s an unusual sensation :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I had to sign and date something today.I dated it 19/2/1923.
Itā€™s not looking good.

3 Likes

I worry about it as I worry about any other additional illness I might get, no more and no less.

2 Likes

Noā€¦my mother had it but no point worrying about something you cannot control.

2 Likes

My Dad worried himself to death about it because his father had it. He never had it. I think itā€™s hard not to worry about something you see happening thatā€™s not pleasant for you.

As some others, Iā€™m worried about it as much as Iā€™m worried about other things.