Do you worry about dementia?

Cold water releases endorphins an gives you a natural high

It also makes your heart beat harder and pump blood to your skin and organs, hence the glow

(Safety warning here for anyone with heart problems or high blood pressure, don’t do it without asking your doctor)

But the endorphins and the glow, plus reduced inflammation and aches and pains are really addictive!

2 Likes

I do think about it, whether I will get it, as my Mum had it really badly for 5 years, where she ended up not knowing anyone and eventually died, but she never had it until she was 90 years old.

I don’t think my doctor would like jumping naked into cold water with me Maree…But I can ask her…
:astonished:
When I started running back in the day, I read all there was to read about diet, training, running, and its effects on the body…
A doctor once wrote that if you trained enough to be able to run a Marathon, he would guarantee that you would not have a heart attack for at least ten years. I ran 36 marathons and had a heart attack when I was in my prime at 53…
I shall write to ‘Runners World’ and demand my money back for that issue of the magazine…

1 Like

My mother had vascular dementia which overtook her. So yes, I do think about it all the time, especially for those who have been diagnosed with it and their friends and family who will have to cope with it.

2 Likes

I think I have mentioned this before. My cousin, aged 67 now, still runs marathons. So far his total is about 110 of them. He also has had a heart problem. I can’t remember what it was but it was serious.

True. My Mum was diagnosed at 92 and lived to nearly 97.

I have a friend who has it. She is same age as me and was a Deputy Head Teacher. She was diagnosed at 67. It came on fairly suddenly and now she needs 24/7 care. Her husband is exhausted.

Thing is, like most diseases or illnesses, it varies in its severity. I wouldn’t like tot think of her living for another 20 years like that.

This brought tears to my eyes Carol because I know exactly what you and your husband are going through having been through it all myself until my husband passed away in August. We experienced the situation where people stopped talking to him too - even in the doctor’s surgery where the nurse talked to me over my husband’s head as he sat in his wheelchair. I put her right I can tell you and she never did it again! I visited his grave this morning and had a little weep but I wouldn’t want him to suffer anymore so knew in my heart of hearts that his death was a relief for both of us in the end.
Answering the OP, I do think about getting dementia myself but I refuse to allow it to worry me because that would taint the rest of the life I have left.

3 Likes

Not so much worry about the possibility, but I try my utmost to hold the infliction at bay by keeping my brain active as often as possible.

This may seem flippant, but that is not intended, can a dementia sufferer worry about death?

no not in my mums case .

Is it Ok to ask, how can you know?

Because she keeps saying its a long time dieing , if i could take something i would .

I guess I’m too old to worry about getting dementia, lots of other things I could get or even have now. Who knows!

1 Like

Do you worry about dementia?
Yes, but only in other people, especially those close to me.

3 Likes

My Mum was actually relieved in a way when she had her diagnosis. Tests lasting over an hour were carried out at home by a psychologist and were very thorough. At the end he gently told us both that Mum had Alzheimers and if she chose to she could go on a drug which wouldn’t cure her but might slow it down. She chose to and her decline thankfully was slow.

I can still see her poor, worried face as he told her but she told him she knew there was something wrong so she was proved right! about a year before she took herself to the doctor without telling me then as she was concerned she was getting confused etc but he told her she was fine.

The first sign for me that she was not herself was her beautiful handwriting deteriorated. She couldn’t write in a straight line and she did some words in lower case and others in capitals. When she died I found countless little notebooks where she had listed things she wanted to tell people on the phone. This was followed by confusing the time and then forgetting how to use the microwave, cooker, TV etc.

I don’t think she was scared of dying because rightly or wrongly we discussed this and I always told her she would be reunited with her many siblings, her parents and my Dad. She was enough with it at times to tell me she wished she could go back to the days when she rode her bike, did every craft possible and enjoyed raising her family and watching us grow.

2 Likes

No I don’t worry about getting dementia…There are lots of things We can do to prevent getting heart disease & some cancers etc’…but nothing so far We can do to prevent dementia …I’m also not worried about meeting My Maker cos I’ve been a good wee Girl all of My Life,
(ooo May You little liar) :wink:

Just had a look at this so there are things We can do,

There’s no certain way to prevent all types of dementia, as researchers are still investigating how the condition develops.

However, there’s good evidence that a healthy lifestyle can help reduce your risk of developing dementia when you’re older.

A healthy lifestyle can also help prevent cardiovascular diseases, such as stroke and heart attacks, which are themselves risk factors for Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia (the 2 most common types of dementia).

1 Like

To be brief: yes.

Hello, I’m new here and this is my first contribution :wave:

Interestingly, there’s a lot of research now that’s showing dementia is absolutely preventable… but not reversible. We should really be doing things all our lives to prevent it (nutrition, supplementing as needed, not smoking, exercising) but it’s never too late to start. I was actually at a conference yesterday on this very topic!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! If you’d like, you can start a thread to introduce yourself here.

Any general suggestions?

There’s a website called "foodforthebrain.org.uk which offers free advice on dementia and suggests you take a cognitive function test - the first providing a benchmark for your cognitive function, then annually thereafter. Their latest advice is “New research shows that the combination of [B vitamins and omega-3 are a dynamic duo against dementia, stopping the brain shrinkage that is the hallmark of Alzheimer’s. In those with high homocysteine and low omega-3 brain shrinkage reduced by 73% with virtually no further memory loss.”