Do you use rooting hormone?

That will be interesting, yes please let us know Rehab. :023:

Forgot about this,
Yesterday I took cuttings from one dahlia plant,
Using a mix of 1 third perlite and two thirds cutting compost I dipped one in hormone rooting powder one in honey and one in just the potting mix.
Both cuttings were approx the same size, after trimming.
Bunged them in an old plastic greenhouse to grow on.
I will let you know how they develop:lol:

I don’t know when you took the cuttings Rehab, so anything happening yet? Any noticeable differences?

Clever !!! You’re not just another pretty face…

Yesterday, I wanted cuttings of about 3 inches so had to wait till now
As expected they have wilted slightly, water loss through the remaining leaves, they should end up looking like this…

Ahh you noticed :lol:

Mups :slight_smile: I don’t know if you have ever used ‘Rootgrow’ mycorrhizal fungi, it is endorsed by the RHA.

"At RHS Garden Wisley, we use Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi when planting trees and shrubs and we are now starting to use it when planting perennials.
Buy Empathy RHS rootgrow: Delivery by Crocus

I purchased some new perpetual strawberry plants last week (Mara des bois) from 'Ken Muir ’ and they looked sorry little things when they arrived but I used a tiny packet of Rootgrow which arrived with them it cost me £2:25 and I am amazed at how well the strawberries have taken and grown in just a week .
They mention it a lot on ‘Gardener’s question time’ on the radio.

I will certainly be using it on precious new plants from now on :slight_smile:

Oddly enough I saw that for sale in Wilco’s the other day, something like £7 or £8 a packet, I was on two minds whether to buy some, I wish I had now reading what you said.

That’s quite a lot Rehab :slight_smile: I only bought 60g to try …

A 60g pack of rootgrow™ will treat approximately 2-3 bare rooted fruit trees, 10 bare rooted canes or hedging plants, 1 x 10 litre pot grown tree/plant or 12 strawberry plants.

This is the one, it does seem a lot…

http://www.wilko.com/plant-food-fertilisers/wilko-best-rootgrow-mycorrhizal-fungi-360g/invt/0330968?nst=0&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0a7YBRDnARIsAJgsF3MVQ3Txb3My5kU8BPDwjCzIPuhRc5v2a_wGX59OEEWy7YxhjTO1RJ0aArwsEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use it all the time Meg.
Would never plant a new rose without it either. :slight_smile:

It’s been a month now since I started this test, the hormone rooting powder test sample is doing well, the honey test sample is struggling. I will post pics tomorrow

That’s interesting then. Will wait for your piccy’s Rehab. :slight_smile:

I thought rooting was all due to hormones but, yes, I have heard of honey being used as a rooting powder substitute.

Bruce I don’t know how you can keep a straight face whilst debating this obviously sensitive topic?

Ok here we go
Left, old rooting powder
Centre, Honey
Right, new rooting powder

Sorry Rehab, only just seen this.

Looks like the honey works, else the cutting would be dead, but I can see the new powder has given the best results.

They say we are supposed to buy fresh powder/gell every year, so looks like there’s some truth in that.

I will do some more pics tomorrow, tge hormone powder plants are doing well, but I am really surprised that the honey treated plant has now picked up and is starting to flourish, maybe it’s just slower to act?

Maybe you’re right (for a change ;-)), maybe the chemical treatment forces it more, and the honey is gentler and more natural?

Must admit, that when I saw the title of this thread, I got completely the wrong idea, thinking rooting hormone, was something us chaps had a problem with!!:blush::blush: