Do you use an Air Fryer?

It depends on the veg being roasted but not more than 10 minutes for a normal roast veg combo of - chunky cut red onions, butternut, peppers (red and green), marrows, a sprig of Rosemary, dollop of extra Virgin olive oil some veggie seasoning. 180 degrees Celsius for 8-10 minutes.

2 Likes

Not for me anymore, I cooked the pasta in with the spaghetti bolognese I made in the PKP, …it was Delicious!..so no more pasta on the hob for me.:grinning:

2 Likes

I get the distinct impression that you are well and truly a PKP convert Pauline :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Minx!

I did a quick google and the first recipe that came up was this:

It looks awfully dry, maybe it’s because they didn’t use much fat? Can you add more fat?

This might not be the best picture, but compare to what mine is like out of the oven:

I think we need a thread where everyone can post pics of their Air Fried food - just for us nosey lot :lol:

2 Likes

Yes, they definitely didn’t use too much fat in that recipe Azz. I give it a good toss in the oil olive and veggie seasoning. You can even get an olive oil spray gadget thingie for even distribution of the oil.

1 Like

I’ll have to keep looking for pics, though I was only curious to see whether it was true that AF food is drier.

I would avoid Olive oil for cooking Minx :upside_down_face: (I prefer duck fat, beef dripping, butter or coconut oil).

2 Likes

Oh for heaven’s sake!
Let’s just have a decent fry up, eggs, smoked bacon, hash browns, mushrooms fried tomatoes, sausage, brown sauce and at least two slices of lardy fried bread.
It was known as tucking in as I vaguely remember :wink:

2 Likes

Air fryers excel really at things you want crisp, roast potatoes are good, chips, that sort of thing

Mushrooms come out well, it seems to sort of seal in their mushroomyness, and cauliflower
If you roast cauliflower in it, then put it in cauliflower cheese, it seals the moisture in your cauliflower so it doesn’t mae your cheese sauce thin

But yes, it is dry heat so it dries food out a bit, you can cover with foil

Here are my hassle back potatoes, I’ll give them a bit longer next time

2 Likes

There you go, we like a good fry up too Fried bread is under the eggs……

4 Likes

I still prefer my BBQ it is even easier to clean - a quick scrape to sluice the residual oil away - takes less time than it does to write this.

Exactly, that is what the barbie is for, it is not as quick as the air fryer but produces a much more diverse meal. AND I can cook onions beautifully on it.

Edit: my BBQ is a solid metal plate rather than a grill, this offends the purists but I have always preferred a plate to a grill and hot rocks.

2 Likes

Oh yes!
Fried bread under the eggs too!
I’m regaining the will to live :wink: :bacon: :fried_egg: :bacon:

1 Like

I love cooking over charcoal too Bruce, sadly it’s not always an option in England, especially if you’re a flat dweller, I’d better stick with the frying pan
I’m with you on the plate, a smooth surface can be far superior, cheap and cheerful disposable barbeques have their place but the sharp surface area/rack is a nightmare when cooking burgers, we’d always pack some decent quality foil when camping,

1 Like

Alas my BBQ is four burner gas. I haven’t used charcoal or even wood for over 30 years. They take too long to heat up. Similar to this:

I think I paid $110 for it years ago

1 Like

I find that if you reduce cooking time everything is moist. It can be difficult to estimate the most appropriate time/temperature. There’s very little guidance as it’s a new tech.

1 Like

What about these steamed veg, that I did in the instant pot, Azz,

Admittedly they aren’t roasted, I must admit roasted veg are in a league of their own, especially if cooked in the oven, steam is definitely healthier though.:grinning:

They don’t look as appetising as those oven cooked ones ,:sweat_smile::joy:…my mouth is watering looking at those,:sweat_smile:…what fat did you cook them in?

1 Like

I want to try things like stuffed heart in the air fryer and a few of the long forgotten things that I used to make in the oven when I used to cook for the kids.

As I have pointed out before there are some things like onions that I have had no success with.

To be honest getting a good poached egg made in the microwave has a slightly higher priority at the moment.

Beef dripping :003:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/britannia-beef-dripping/562736-451650-451651

£1.30

It used to cost 80p before the pandemic! It’s criminal how much they’ve put up prices and have been tripling their profits through times of national/global crisis! For a supermarket that says it’s ethical, it needs to take a good long hard look at itself.

Who says? :lol: There is quite a bit of contention around fats - that they (good fats anyway, i.e animal fats from healthy animals, butter, coconut oil) aren’t anywhere near as bad as they have been made out to be. Healthy fats help with satiety - probably why the food industry has vilified them, because they want people to eat more and more and more :096:

1 Like

Apparently steaming keeps the highest level of nutrients, roasting doesn’t, so there!!..:joy::sweat_smile::+1:

It’s only what I’ve read online, roast veg taste better though…imo.

1 Like

I find butter is the best overall for cooking. Deep fat frying should be banned completely as it wastes so much oil and energy as well as the NHS budget. All that used oil has to go in landfill in plastic bottles.

2 Likes

A slippery buttery slope I fear Annie!
I shall have to be very careful with my crumpets when butter is eventually banned, wouldn’t fancy a knock on the front door from the old bill asking me if I’ve been a bit lavish with my Scotch pancakes!

2 Likes