Do you try new foods?

Just different circumstances at different times. When I was young, I had access to a lot of different foods. I’ve seen people eat raw lobster and octopus, while the creature was still alive. I’ve not sure I tried it, but I might have. I tried a lot of different things then just out of curiosity.

At another time I was with someone who liked to try new things and food was one of them.

At another time I was focusing on something and didn’t have the mental energy to choose different foods.

Right now, I’m not satisfied with the foods I’m eating, so I’m trying different things to see if I can find the right balance.

That’s awful.I could never eat a living thing.I have a problem when they are dead.

Thanks.I do try new things now and then but it’s usually more to do with what’s on sale in the supermarket.

1 Like

Oysters?

Actually escargot are something I have never tried but I can’t imagine they would be much different to the Whelks in the UK or the many varieties of sea snails you eat in Asia. I love em all!

I have just remembered another meal I couldn’t eat even though the previous day I had eaten it without knowing what it was. Toad! Not toad in the hole but a skinned toad in Malaysia.

1 Like

No.Never been tempted by Oysters

The ones I had were in Paris and flavoured with butter and heaps of garlic and herbs. They must be a particular variety of snail because they were not like the little garden snails we see here. Still in their shells with a special fork. So very different from seaside shellfish in the UK. I doubt I’d have been brave enough to try them now but we were interrailing and very young at the time.

Shellfish is one of the most sustainable food sources so we should all eat more. As their nervous system is simple they also do not experience the same level of suffering as killing a fish or mammal. It’s not so easy to source oysters, but mussels are a great source of protein without the guilt of meat. Also very cheap.

I was told by my Malaysian friends that Malaysian growth durians are the smelliest of them all. As for mangosteens and rambutans, these are really delicious fruit but mangosteens are banned by most hotels because the skins are purple and the juice from them can permanently stain bed linen and towels.

1 Like

No, I don’t try new foods because my innards are too temperamental and there isn’t enough Andrex in the world to cope with it. :blush:

Same here Smithy.
If I could eat toast every day and nothing much else I’d be perfectly happy. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m fussy with my food, would try the food I eat cooked in a different way, anything like Grubs or other stuff that’s not eaten by 70% of the UK no I wouldn’t try it

It still amazes me to think, someone opened an Oyster and thought that looks tasty I’m going to eat that……( reaching for a bucket )

1 Like

Not tried - and don’t fancy - raw oysters but they are quite tasty when roasted. Tried and don’t like whelks and eels, but love cockles and mussels.

1 Like

I’ve picked at muscles had cockles when I was a kid, but not now, never had eels and no I couldn’t wilfully try it either…… and jellied eels …….no way

Whelks, snails and most crustaceans is no too, yet cooked and peeled prawns I like.

I will have to take your word about roasted Oysters.

1 Like

I’ve had caracois with a beer as a light lunch in Portugal.

I think they are smaller than the French escargot.

1 Like

Hey DooD
No sauce on it? Just like that?
How does it taste?

1 Like

just a pin and a cool beer.

crap :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m sorry it tasted snaily

2 Likes

I like trying new foods as long as they don’t contain bits of dead animals .

I am about to make and try lentil crackers …

2 Likes

I’m fairly adventurous in trying new things within reason. Things like boiled fish heads, fried monkey balls or roasted cockroaches, I’ll pass on. :pleading_face: I’m not ‘that’ adventurous.

1 Like