Do you read food labels?

Continuing the discussion from Do you try new foods?:

When I read this, I was thinking this should be on a food label. That got me to wondering. Do you read food labels?

I’ve been reading food labels for so long that I can barely remember a time when I didn’t. I check for MSG, any “animal parts”, dairy, protein count, salt count and sugar count.

Shopping online makes it a little easier that I’m not doing all that reading while I’m standing in an aisle of a grocery store. I sometimes think it would so much easier to just throw things in the cart without looking.

Do you read food labels?

1 Like

Yes I have to, and just when you think a product is ok to purchase they put a new unknown Name on it or a new Number…I am aware I can’t avoid all additives, but I wish they would be categorised for us…just a simple system that at a glance you can then decide to buy or not to buy.
Just plain numbers would be good, 1-10 say with 10 saying certain death and 1 saying good, that would be fine with me.
… Cutting out all that reading of labels when there is so many other things your time could be spent doing…
…Like hogging the Fashion Isles…
Or joining in the social scene, hogging the Isles, chatting away whilst ignoring anybody that is actually trying to do there shopping…
That is a regular French past time…

1 Like

As a diabetic, it is important to read food labels to discover how much carbohydrate they contain. It would be difficult to establish how much insulin I needed to inject if i don’t know how much carbohydrate I am going to eat!

3 Likes

Yes …I need to check it’s plant based.

1 Like

Yes! That would be great. I asked a manager in a health food store if they would consider labeling their foods with vegan or vegetarian on their shelves. They wouldn’t.

Haha. Imagine all the people buying the foods with the 10.

That can be a lot more work than it sounds. Some people avoid honey. Others avoid wax on fruit. Lots of stuff to look for.

1 Like

You’re right it is , the trick is don’t buy process food.
I’ve spotted in the past animal products in so called veggie cheese , & pies…not so much now days

2 Likes

I have to read every food label as my heart is highly responsive to MSG in all of it’s forms hidden or blatantly declared. MSG is sometimes disguised as “permitted flavourings” so I give those a wide berth too.

3 Likes

Very wise !
Too many companies put lots of things into foods , usually to make them taste better.
Perhaps everybody should try to learn the joy of cooking home made food again, I can promise you it tastes much better than processed food, and you can leave out the things you don’t like. :+1:

1 Like

I read labels for wheat or gluten content, but tend to shop in the specific aisles that cater for dietary issues. Sugar is another sneaky one…its in so much stuff, so I keep an eye on that too.

1 Like

Can never find a label on my Doner Kebab.

I always do Pixie, but sugar would have to be shown in the carbohydrates, so I pick it up there!

1 Like

I seldom buy anything processed and even make my own soups as I’m the chef in this house.

I joke about this in our house a lot…but it is true…
Does ice cream contain insects?

Image result for insects chocolate ice cream

It’s because the milk used in the ice cream is actually extracted from insects. EntoMilk is an alternative to dairy products that is made by blending the larvae of the black soldier fly. Although it may not sound appetising, the ice cream itself is said to be rich and creamy with an earthy taste.

I worry more about the use of plastics in food…

1 Like

Well thanks Dianne…I had ice cream last night, and now…I regret it! :joy: Ahh well…extra protein I suppose…

2 Likes

As I don’t use salt there’s enough in bread ,marmite & peanut butter to keep me going.
I find all processed food very salty even when it says “ less added salt”

2 Likes

Have to admit I don’t read food labels much…but I don’t buy a lot of processed foods so maybe that’s why…just thinking about it now…I do buy those ready made Indian currys I bet they are full of bad stuff…I do love them though…Best I stay clear of reading those labels :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I read food labels. Learning how to do this to find out what food contains was one of the ways I found of defeating pre-Type 2 diabetes some while back. Comparing the ingredients of one food against another by using the ‘Per 100g’ column is very useful. There was also a very useful app. (there’s one for everything I find) where you scan the products as you buy them, this then compiles a list on your mobile for reference rather than have to keep reading the labels as you shop. Obviously not all foods are on there but many of the regular foods are.

If ever in doubt about what a product contains it’s always possible to ask the supermarket for this information. They are obliged to keep all this information to hand, usually it’s in a pamphlet or small book and has to give all the relevant information. A family member who had a dairy intolerance needed to be catered for, this was found to be very useful in that respect.
:grinning:

Edited to add: If the supermarket has online shopping facilities I believe the ingredients for each product have to be listed on there too. I recall finding that once by clicking on the product and the ingredients are displayed.

2 Likes

Marmite contains hidden MSG, so that is off my menu.

1 Like

Oh I’m sorry to hear marmite is off the menu for you , I love it :heart_eyes_cat:
The good thing is you use so little … a jar lasts me ages.
Marmite on hot buttered toast topped with sliced tomatoes… swoon

1 Like

Oh No! Just think they are already making plans for us to all eat insects, but I doubt we will know what they are1

What happens when we all start to have insect allergies & they have to list all the insects each food contains! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes