Do You Think That Burying The Dead Is A Waste Of Space?

Does that make you a “SuperDuperPooperScooper”?

Yes, I guess. Today we did the usual Ozzie walk. Then we went to the grocery store - with Max and minus Ozzie.

1 Like

Quite so

1 Like

A friend of mine died a few months ago and he had a “No Fuss, No Funeral” cremation. I thought it was such a good Idea that I have put all the details with my will. My kids have been told to have a big wake.

It is not cheap but they do everything, from removing the body, cremating it and return the urn of ashes. The cost last time I looked was $3000 to $4000.

This just one I came across but there is a local Wollongong one but off hand I forget the name.

1 Like

Although by tradition Jews are buried, I will be cremated as to me this is the most hygienic way. I already have in place a prepaid funeral which just one single phone call will put in motion.

No I don’t because cemeteries provide much needed green spaces and are often a haven for wild life and species of fauna .They are also places of quiet reflexion in our ever busy noisy world .

I will be buried we already have a plot unless I am overseas then I will be cremated and my ashes returned to be buried .

What about all those cemeteries that have been built over after removing the bones. Some of the land walls are even built containing the old tombstones. With the ever-increasing world population, space for housing is now a prime concern.

They are usually only dug up for cross rail but not for housing .
I don’t think that every space is needed for housing there has to be some breathing space in urban areas .

I know of at least one in Twickenham that now provides housing and a retail environment. Plus another in Brentford that caused all sorts of animosity.
‘850 bodies’ to be dug up at Brentford churchyard for new housing development - MyLondon

I remember reading somewhere in London where they had run out of space in a Cemetery , so they were digging up those that had been buried for 100 years and selling off the plots again .
Some Council Cemeterys have their headstone removed and are now Parks , So people walking and playing over graves .the headstones piled up against a wall . I find that disrespectful .

I am being cremated ,and my Funeral is paid for .

1 Like

What do you think of water cremation, maybe coming to the U.K. soon?

Basically, the body is dissolved in a hot water chamber, leaving only bones, which can then be powdered and scattered like ashes

It’s greener than cremation but a bit unfortunate people are calling it boil in the bag :scream:

1 Like

If we all die no one is around to bury any of us

Could eat them. NUMNUMNUM .

1 Like

Soylent Green anyone?

Where did we get the idea that there aren’t enough places to bury people from?
There are thousands of square miles of land in England alone…
Quote:-
Area: 50,301 sq mi (130,278 sq km). Population: (2011) 53,012,456. It is the largest constituent unit of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. England is often erroneously considered synonymous with the island of Great Britain and even with the entire kingdom.

That equates to around one square mile for one million people (if we all died tomorrow) laid end to end of course.

Another Quote:-
England has a land area of just over 13,046,000 hectares [footnote 1] of which 8.7% is of developed use, with 10.5% being ‘built-up’. When including land designated as Green Belt, just over 37.4% of the area of England (4.9 million hectares) is protected against development by one or more natural designation.27 Oct 2022

So only 10% is built over…
Surely that leaves enough land to bury people until the end of time…

When I die I want the full Viking send off………….longboat cast adrift, archer fires a flaming arrow to set it aflame and off I float to Valhalla.
Where you get to party in a huge log house, drinking lots of beer, eating meat, no salads, brought to you by big busted flaxen haired willing wenches. You can get into lots of fights with mates with daggers and swords and you can’t get killed coz you are already dead.

The reality will be more like being cast adrift on an airbed on one of Birmingham’s canals where people on bridges will drop light fag ends on me as I float past,

2 Likes

Silly :joy:

I want my ashes scattered in the Thames but I’ve given my lot strict instructions not to throw me off the bridge onto a boatload of Japanese tourists below… :smiley:

On the other hand I could go for one of them Bog burials like the ancient Britons, I do spend a lot of time in there.

1 Like

There will always be a WALL E to take care of that task :+1:

2 Likes

Sometimes after a lads night out, the one in our portacabin smells as if someone has already been buried there …