Do you take any vitamins, minerals or any other kind of supplements?

Wondering whether we should get my mum on some, hence wondered whether any of you are taking any…

1 Like

Magnesium for me to help sleep but I don’t think it’s essential ,it’s in lots of natural things.
Iron and vitamin D for my Bh’s parents.Iron for bone strength and D if you are inside a lot and don’t get much sun.

1 Like

Just a small amount of Ethanol :icon_wink:

3 Likes

Although I’m a veggie I admit to taking a daily cod liver oil capsule.

2 Likes

I’ve just been put on a course of Vitamin D by my doctor… she says most older people should take them

1 Like

I take calcium prescribed by the doctor to prevent thinning bones and a Wellwoman 70 plus even though I’ve got a few years to go before I’m 70

I take the 70plus one rather than the 50plus ones because it has Lutein in it, which may help prevent macular degeneration and as my friend has been diagnosed with macular I thought it might be a good idea. Other than that, they contain pretty much the same

I drink golden milk made with turmeric because turmeric is supposed to be beneficial for all sorts of things as you get older and also because it tastes really good!

Since having my gall bladder removed I also take milk thistle but you might want to check with your doctor before you give your mum milk thistle or turmeric because they can increase bile production

1 Like

I don`t want to come across as patronising, but i think as long as you have a good healthy diet,supplements are a waste of money.

3 Likes

I think you’re probably right, for me it’s a question of belt and braces insurance to make sure :rofl:

Apart from the calcium prescribed by the doctor

3 Likes

Daughter and I both suffer from iron deficiency. Lifelong not just occasional. Our livers don’t store the iron required.

We take one-a-day multivitamins and minerals. Making certain that said tablets contain: Iron; Iodine and no selenium. As we also take a separate tablet of selenium for thyroid problems.

Thankfully, those selenium tablets, after research online and contacting old work colleagues, have been amazing, I’ve lost 2 stones and haven’t had any problems with my thyroid. Great!

Since hubby died, we’re lucky if we get an appetite for just two meals a day, so these vitamins have been great help!

1 Like

The only thing I take is Tumeric tablets from Holland and Barrets, for Stiff Joints.

2 Likes

I have been taking a daily multivitamin for over a decade and since my doctor suggested that there was some evidence that fish oil was good for arthritis I have taken that each day too.

Because I hate vegetables my kids said my diet was terrible so rather than eat disgusting green things I decided to take multivitamins.

Whether they make the slightest bit of difference I have no idea but I am still here and older than the age my father or grandfather reached.

4 Likes

I’ve been looking for a good multivitamin for a long time. I don’t like swallowing pills and gummy multivitamins give me a headache. I haven’t figured out why since I’ve taken gummy B vitamins without a problem. I’d take a multivitamin if I could find one.

Sometimes I take powdered or gummy CALM magnesium. It helps me with muscle aches, headaches and tension.

2 Likes

I’ve had three ops for skin cancer lately. Two were malignant and another was benign. I take Vitamin D because it might do some good. Also Vitamin B3. The latter was recommended by the surgeon who removed the affected areas. I only take half the recommended dose because some researchers recommend it and some don’t. Not sure if it does any good or harm.

2 Likes

I found this documentary informative. Sound not the best though.

Better sound.

1 Like

I remember taking cod liver oil from the bottle.
Tasted horrible so it must have done me some good.

3 Likes

I take ‘Seven Seas Men 50 plus’ Mrs Fox says it makes me wild, roving and unpredictable like the sea…
Pirate
But it’s probably because I make her sick…
:face_vomiting:
Seriously though…
I take a Multi-Vitamin, and Primrose Oil.
I also stir a spoonful of Turmeric into my porridge…

1 Like

I supplement my beer ration with the occasional Scotch.

1 Like

I take jointace - it’s fabulous! Has a caveat for diabetes, but I haven’t been diagnosed with that (yet)

1 Like

Oh gawd so do I. It was absolutely disgusting.

2 Likes

I’ve been prescribed a course of vitamin D by my doctor because I have low levels…not surprising after this long winter

I was one of the kids who had to have codliver oil at school…I hated it. Just me and one other girl had to have it every morning in front of the whole class…vile it was

1 Like