Do you still use cash or credit /debit card?

Which method of payment do you prefer? I am finding I am using my debit card more now instead of cash…what about you?

1 Like

I too am no longer using cash on a regular basis, but neither do I use my debit card. I prefer to pay by credit card and have a standing order to pay the balance off each month.

I use my debit card all the time, even for very small items.

I prefer cash, but these days I tend to use contactless debit card, because that’s what’s preferred when buying stuff.

Same here, the Debit card has taken the place of cash especially with the ‘swipe’ limit being increased. That though brought its own problems for me just recently. Paying for £35 worth of fuel the card would not work using the ‘swipe’ function and through lack of use I had temporarily forgotten the PIN number, luckily I had some cash so used that. Sometimes the machines used are not that good, problems can be caused by a ‘glitch’ somewhere. This was the second time in a week this had happened, the other time was paying at the supermarket. On contacting the card company, thinking it might be the card, I was advised that if I could recall the PIN number and use it just once that would ‘reset’ the card for ‘swipe’ use or they could send me another PIN number. The original number was recalled and used once reset the ‘swipe’ function.

More use of cards rather than cash started a while ago when a bank branch was closed, as are many now. I was advised to use another branch ‘just six miles’ from the one now closed. What nobody seemed to realise is that I had already driven ten miles to the one now closed. Am I expected to make a round trip of 32 miles to use bank services, or pay to use a ‘hole in the wall’ machine? No wonder car use is so high! :slightly_frowning_face:

Rarely use cash. Keep a few coins to hand to give takeaway delivery drivers a tip, and a £10 for the window cleaners. The only place that accepted cash-only recently was where my wife & daughter get their nails done, and an Italian restaurant nearby.

always my debit card when buying my groceries in a supermarket, or buying petrol, I don’t use contactless, that means you don’t have to put your pin in…if it was lost or stolen anyone could use it before you reported it to your bank, the fact that the amount you can spend using contactless has gone up, that’s good for a thief…I like to keep some cash handy…

I can scarcely remember the last time I used cash or card to be honest. At the start of the pandemic I was intent to avoid as much as possible touching anything outside the home, so I began using Apple Pay on my watch, and it’s become a habit. It’s the only method of payment I use now.

As far as I am aware all cards have the contactless function, whether or not you use it that is there. Always useful to have some cash handy though. Alternatively, it’s very useful to have the card handy too. I found myself ‘trapped’ in a multi-storey car park when the machine wouldn’t accept coins, I attempted to get attention by using the facility for that but nobody arrived. In the end I used the ‘swipe’ facility on the debit card just to get out of the car park. Also that was an emergency situation when there was a ‘clear the shopping centre’ emergency announcement! :slightly_frowning_face:

I believe that’s also available on iPhones, not sure but I’ve never used it.
Perhaps another option, just in case it’s needed. Thanks. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi

Internet purchases, credit card.

Debit at supermarkets, cash for everything else.

For internet or larger purchases I use a credit card, mainly for the added protection they potentially offer.
Anything else and I use a debit card.
I very, very rarely use cash & the only time I can think of is to pay Avon & similar.

That’s really interesting to me. Do you find you keep to budget better doing this?

I use both , wishbone…:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Very rarely use cash these days, in fact I can’t remember the last time I did.

1 Like

Yes it is available on iPhones @Baz46. I just use my Apple watch because it’s easier, already out and on my wrist, so no digging about in my bag for the phone :wink:

1 Like

Not an Apple Watch user but thanks for advice re: available on the iPhone. I have just bought a new one of those and although basically similar to the old one, it does so much more. Like here on OFC though, I am still finding my way around it! I have seen something on there that may be Apple Pay so will check this out. Will this ‘steep new technology learning curve’ ever end I wonder? :grinning:

1 Like

Paying by cash seems more straight forward, but I rarely have any on me.

Hi

I do not like being tracked and I know how the system works.

I draw cash from the same cashpoint every few days. the debit card is used at the same supermarkets, the local ones.

The Internet purchases are boring stuff.

The cash is used extensively, a small victory but one I like.

1 Like

They track you when you draw cash, same machine an all.