Do you still use cash or credit /debit card?

There haven’t been any changes. I’ve been using a debit card almost exclusively even for small purchases of, say, two pounds since the late-90s. Never been a fan of cash and don’t know what credit cards are good for. For some years the debit card has had a radio chip for contactless paying.

I use both cash and debit card - cash for small items.

We use all 3. Cash for small items, debit or credit cards for larger spends at supermarkets, etc. Always pay off our credit card bill each month too. Wasn’t there a move to increase the “swipe” limit to £100? I seem to remember Rishi Sunnak saying something about this at the height of the pandemic.

I used to find credit cards better to use for larger purchases as they have better protection than debit cards. Not sure exactly what the difference is but it’s quite a lot of difference. I didn’t use the credit card very much and eventually, after many attempts by the credit card company to entice me to use it more, I decided to have just a debit card. Credit card companies don’t much like it when a monthly Direct Debit is used to pay any outstanding amount in full, they don’t get one penny interest over the years from people like me. :grinning:

Of course they don’t but it doesn’t half help your credit rating score :+1:

And then follow you in what is one of the world’s largest users of surveillance cameras.
London alone for example is the only country in the entire Western world to feature in the global top 20 users of CCTV and is in third position.
:wink:

1 Like

We’re the same, pay it off at the end of each month.

I understood it was to increase in the Budget in March 2021, perhaps that didn’t happen after all?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/03/budget-2021--contactless-payment-limit-to-rise-to-p100/

A credit card often comes with a bundle of services which make it more costly and one would need it abroad. But we’re talking about payment within a country where, in my case, traders don’t want to see it used because they’d have to pay a fee for any transaction.

Yes, I do both. One of our neighbours, the one who disabled, often asks us to run errands for the convenience store. Invariably, she sends cash with us.

August 5th, did it happen ?

That seems to be a question being asked but nobody seems to know the answer, strange that is. All I managed to find on a search is the website below, even the Visa credit card company website still states £45 as being the maximum:

Strange innit.

Very! :thinking: :upside_down_face: :grinning:

Both.

True - but they don’t know what you do with it!

If its needed to be known "they " will find out ,in shops at least.

I don’t - and won’t - have a credit card. I have a debit card (not a contactless one) which is used for on-line purchases only. Everything else is paid for by cash.

I keep $100.00 dollars cash handy. The rest is in the Credit Union and I use my debit card.

Hi

I know they track the withdrawals, but where I spend it is difficult to track, it literally is cash in hand.

1 Like