Do you set goals? Why or why not?

People who set New Year’s resolutions rarely met them. Only 4% of people keep their New Year’s resolutions.

It’s probably the same for people who have goals. People rarely reach them or keep them. Yet without goals, things can get aimless.

Some people make goals that change over time, adapting with change.

When I was younger, I set a lot of goals. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve set less of them. I’m experimenting at the moment with how I want my goals to be set.

Do you set goals? How are they working?

1 Like

Used to, lackadaisical seems a better approach nowadays.

1 Like

Oh I set goals all the time…if I didn’t I wouldn’t get anything done! :joy: I make a list in order of importance and timeline, and tick everything off as it gets done. Usually works.

Apart from when I write down " Only 2 hours a day on OFC" :astonished:

4 Likes

True it is a time waster !

2 Likes

I set goals too in just about everything…I take pride in achieving goals too…its how I motivate myself to get on with stuff.

1 Like

I set goals, but somebody keeps moving the posts…!

4 Likes

Laughing here…you’re not my husband are you ?

1 Like

I think that the House Referee declares most of the Goals offside!

:flushed:

1 Like

As a married couple well into retirement, yes we used to set goals, BUT, without any sign of a linesman/woman (should that be person?) far too many throw-ins went astray and now we simply take each day as it comes, which usually means ignoring most of what was planned the day previous.

1 Like

Tried all that setting goals and deciding what will or will not happen in advance. Didn’t work to well I’m afraid. So many things that were unforeseen cropped up that meant a change of direction I gave up and took life as it came. Strangely enough it roughly worked out as I intended. :man_shrugging:t2: Que Sera sera :+1:

2 Likes

My goal is to live for ever, so far so good.

2 Likes

This very issue causes me quite a dilemma. I start each week with the goal of achieving nothing within the following 7 days, and I always achieve that goal, which, paradoxically, means I haven’t achieved it. :017:

1 Like

Tbh, summer, I’m a see what turns up kinda guy…

3 Likes

I don’t think I ever set goals, I makes plans that’ll change

I have known people who were dedicated/driven in studies/training putting their social life on hold to achieve an aim

I would consider myself determined, but thinking back and now…. there were/are things I wanted but I never put myself out to achieve them.

2 Likes

I never have in the true sense of the word because I don’t want to get disappointed. :grimacing:Major goals were usually set by others or by the circumstances for me and I followed them through. Less important goals usually emerge during the year and I may decide to achieve them but I wouldn’t need a special occasion like New Year’s Eve for that.

2 Likes

When younger I was so busy, busy generally that to set goals was the only way to get everything done. Now retired though I have decided to set a goal of getting at least one task done each day, that means seven tasks do get done. If I didn’t do that then the temptation is to think “well being retired I will do it tomorrow”. That I have found is the way not to get anything done, there’s no urgency so ‘tomorrow’ never arrives.
:slightly_frowning_face: :grinning:

1 Like

hey…there is always next week…or the week afters… :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
My other half changes what is occuring in the same declaration…now that is a quick thinker for you… :thinking:

1 Like

I’m too impatient; I want success now.

1 Like

What success do you wish now.?
Harbie we have each other, :wine_glass: :champagne: :cocktail: :tropical_drink: :beer: :tumbler_glass:
what more could you need… :icon_lol:

I’ve never made any resolutions and I’ve never set any goals.
I’m one of those ‘go with the flow’ types.
Over the years, I’ve met folk who have goals or aims they strive to work towards.
I’ve often wondered why I’m made totally the opposite way. I just can’t/don’t think like that. It’s beyond me.
But I’m Aries, and we’re supposed to be ‘impulsive’, so maybe that’s the answer. :lol:

2 Likes