Do you secure the tab on the top of a cereal or food box? Why?

One of the tabs on the top of my cereal box broke the other day. I couldn’t secure the tab. That got me wondering. Why was I securing the tab to the box in the first place?

It doesn’t keep out bugs. It doesn’t keep the food from going stale. It doesn’t stop the box from spilling if it drops on the floor. The two flaps on the top overlap so it’s closed without securing the tab.

I still do it. It’s habit and looks like it’s supposed to be done.

Do you secure the tabs on your food boxes? Why?

Yes I do, I bought a pack of multi coloured clips, and once the box is opened and I use some cereal, I fold over the bag inside and put a clip on it.

3 Likes

No, I have someone to do this for me, so, have never had to consider the merits of it.

1 Like

I put my bag of cereal in a ziploc bad and put it back in the box. That’s why the tab doesn’t do much. The cereal is already secured.

How lucky.

I know!

Susie, l do the same as you but l twist, not fold the plastic bag and secure.
If l don’t have a clip, l use a clothes peg! Most bags in my freezer are secured with a clothes peg!

No I do not. I always transfer all the contents, once opened, to the Tupperware boxes.

1 Like

LD, Don’t they taste of ‘plastic’?
Or, do you just drop the plastic bag of cereal into the plastic Tupperware container?

You have enough Tupperware for every boxed food item that you buy? That’s impressive.

I fold over the top of the inner bag of cereal several times, and sometimes secure it with a peg if necessary, but I stopped trying to keep the box closed with the little tab on the top of the box some years ago.
Instead, I use a different way to close the top of the boxes more securely - I think I saw this idea on the side of a cereal box years ago.

To close a cereal box for better freshness, tuck both small side flaps and one long flap into the box. Fold the two short sides of the box inward to create a “V” shape and pinch the sides together. Then slide the other long flap into the box, tucking it between the inner fold and the opposite side of the box.

It’s a bit fiddly to make the initial V folds the first time but it’s very quick and easy to open and close after that.

It’s easier to explain in pictures and there’s several of those “life hack” videos about it - here’s one chosen at random

2 Likes

That is a simple but great idea - I’ve tried it and it worked first time … :+1:

1 Like

Art ,I transfer Alpen muesli into a meant for the job plastic container bought in a supermarket and have never had reason to think it tasted of plastic .

2 Likes

I’ve been married for over 55 yrs and we were given several sets of food boxes as presents from friends. Some have suffered seal distortion so have been replaced, but the majority are still very serviceable … that’s durable polypropylene for you.
We also have Sistema containers
Shop Sistema Food Containers up to 50% Off | DealDoodle

2 Likes

Zuleika, l must have a sensitive taste!
These days, I use my Tupperware cereal containers to store soap powder and dishwasher tablets!

Possibly.
Likewise I store detergent powder in the same kind of box, Art . :grinning:

1 Like

No, but then before we use any new plastic food container, we always soak it in bicarb solution for a day before we use it. This was a tip I was given by a Tupperware rep.

I do,but its more habit than anything else.
Dh one the other never does it,and he never puts tops back on jars etc,it`s a pain in the a…e

The only cereal I have his porridge oats .
I open the plastic bag carefully to seal it twisted the bag and finish it with a clothes peg …job done

Flipping eck…why didn’t I ever think of that? I do the same as Susie, use the small clips.

I fold the plastic inside then slide the tab in. Easy as, why would you not?