Do you remember your parents first car?

This one, an Austin A35 four door (luxury) which would have had an A Series 948cc engine, I think. It was a company car owned by The Abbey National Building Society, and my dad was the first registered keeper. He took us for days out on Saturdays, and down to the West Country for holidays. Nine hours was the average time with mum and dad up front, and my older brother and me in the back. Dad had a set route with laybys and farm gateways and towns with public toilets all locked in his memory. Yes, toilets open to the public.

The photo’ was taken in Banbury, home of Banbury Cakes, “To see a fine lady ride on a white horse,” because there were toilets near the world famous Banbury Cross in the background.

5 Likes

My parents never had a car - but my Dad used to drive one of these

5 Likes

Could he use it on the week ends? Not very handy for the shops though :grinning:

4 Likes

Hahaha! I remember him taking me for a ride once - but it was strictly against the rules of his employment with Rankins to carry passengers!

He spent a lot of time away from home, driving from North to South, with that tanker, so he didn’t spend much time at home.

2 Likes

For those who are interested in old cars, this photo is my Grandad in the Bluebird, on the forecourt of his own garage, Ayresome Garage, Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, England.

My Grandad was a mechanic and garage owner, and was lucky enough to get the job of looking after Sir Malcolm Campbell’s Bluebird racing car, after it won the World Landspeed Record in USA, and taking it on tour in U.K.
He also took it on tour to Canada to the Great Lakes Expo in 1936.

7 Likes

My first car was a 1947 Hillman Minx, side valve engine, cable brakes - leading leading all round so virtually no brakes in reverse, adjust them badly and you had one wheel braking. Vacuum windscreen wipers, almost came to a halt going up hill then nearly threw themselves off the car going down a hill, passengers and driver’s wiper operated independently. The windscreen was flat and could be opened. The bane of my life - it had kingpins on the end of a solid front axle. (You can understand why British car making is a thing of the past.)

I paid £10 for it and had a lot of fun with it.

3 Likes

Even in prehistoric times you couldn’t expect much for 10 quid. :grinning:

1 Like

It was over a fortnights wages at the time.

2 Likes

A black Morris Minor with little arms for indicators. I remember trying to use the starting handle on an icy morning so that I could be driven to primary school. Hot water from the kettle was also poured into the radiator much to my mother’s consternation.

1 Like

I was mainly raised by my paternal grandparents and Nan had a very handy Austin 7 RP model from I believe 1937, so it was already around 6yrs old when I was born. She drove it almost on a daily basis right up until the late 60’s (might have been early) 70’s for shopping, when she gave up driving due to heavy steering for an old lady. She gave it to another relative who fully restored it :+1:After giving up her Austin, Nan came to live with me until her last breath.
Typical Austin 7 RP :point_down:

2 Likes

Dad used to ride motorcycles, I only remember his last one. A BSA 250 star. He once took me on the back to Clumber Park and Sherwood Forest on it…Very cold and windy… :grimacing:
His first car was a Ford Anglia 105e similar to this one…

We drove down to Newquay for our holidays in it. It took about 13 hours and over 300 miles. No motorways then so we worked out a route using the Fosseway and plenty of stops en route. I’ve always fancied following our footsteps and cycling the route… If I had a bucket list it would be on it…

5 Likes

It went a long way on a tank full of fuel though Mr Smith…

3 Likes

This OT Brings a memory jog. Of callow ‘Yooth’.
The USAF were leaving UK. 50&60’s. Equipment being sorted into.
That going back to the US. & that being dumped.
As best recalled none of which could Legally be sold!
Dumping entailed digging a large hole and buried on waste ground Heathfield, near Newton Abbot.
Which happened to have a Pub near by. Where we used to have a pint or two of scrumpy, traded for Lucky Strikes and Pal Mall with Yankee friends. One of whom was a proper Srg. Wilco type.
Precis. Of. Real Deal of the year.
Four of us rustled up something like £30>50.
Srg Wilco, conveniently leaving a military camouflaged and marked Ford V8 Pilot in a coppice. On condition it was Resprayed and markings removed.
Spraying wasn’t an option. A Gallon of Black paint was.
It never became ‘Road’ driven. A couple of pals, heads under the bonnet, more interested in exploring its mechanical features.
A static, highly revved engine, under the trees at Heathfield.
Becoming. Teens and 20’s. W/E Entertainment.

4 Likes

A red Mazda Capella :dancer:

2 Likes

Wasn’t their first, as older Siblings remember different vehicles, however, the first car i remember my ol’ man (Dad rip) having was an Austin 1100 Estate

OIP (9)

While the first car i remember my lovely little ol’ Lady (Mum rip) having was an Austin Mini Wolsley

OIP (8)

3 Likes

I think I posted on a similar thread.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

We had a Morris 8. 40 mph top speed and we had to avoid certain roads with steep hills on them. The floor had holes in it and when we went through deep puddles Dad would shout’ right kids - feet up please’…

4 Likes

My parents first car was a Jowett - registration ABC 85. I remember that it had problems going up steep hills and would often stop half way up!

3 Likes

Lovely car the Jowett and built in Yorkshire in Leeds. The design was well before it’s time Margaret, and surprisingly, they are still a much sought after car by the classic car petrol heads.

2 Likes

We thought it was a great car, the first time our family had owned one. My dad polished it nearly every day, he was so proud of his ‘new’ car. It even had a crank handle if I remember correctly. I didn’t know that they were built in Yorkshire. I think I was about 12 years old when dad bought it.

3 Likes