Do you remember your favourite Dessert/Sweet treat as a child?

My Grandmother raised me and as we all know, Grannies are the best cooks.
Sunday Evening meal was all Desserts/Cakes/Biscuits.
Too many favourites but if I had to choose one?
Wine Trifle with real Sherry, Topped with desiccated Coconut, Whipped Cream, Sprinkled with Cocoa Powder

4 Likes

A chocolate biscuit cake thing.I think it gets royal approval too.

2 Likes

Egg custard. actually my mother was a terrible cook as she grew up with servants so never learned and she always made egg custard where the liquid separated. I grew up to enjoy this badly made egg custard.

At school I liked all the milk puddings (semolina, tapioca, rice etc) but Gypsy Tart was my favourite

2 Likes

I didn’t have a very sweet tooth when I was a kid but I did like golden syrup pudding, like treacle pudding but made with golden syrup. Mum and granny made that nice

They did jelly with tinned fruit or a sliced banana in it, that was nice. But sometime they put grated apple in it, not so good!

Apple pie and custard of course, blackberries in it when they were in season, yum!

But my real favourite was when mum made strawberry tarts. Pastry cases made in the mince pie tin, then fresh strawberries and topped with something called Quick-Jel. I still like that nowđź‘Ť

Sometimes she’s make a big one in one of those shop made sponge flan bases

2 Likes

I used to love jam roly poly with custard. It’s not something we ever had at home. At home we used to have peaches and cream or angel delight. School puddings were always super yummy. But custard was my favourite thing. They always had custard with every pudding at school. even pink custard and chocolate custard when we had chocolate cake. I also used to love evaporated milk. I think I once drank a whole tin and felt very unwell!

3 Likes

Yes! Trifle
IMG_0171

My mom made it with homemade pound cake which would soak up the Sherry. Then there was a layer of cold custard , topped with whipped cream. It was really good

1 Like

For some reason I never liked Golden Syrup. Gran made it often but I ate a scant amount, usually leaving the soggy, syrup laden base for the bin.

Chocolate biscuit cake thing, anything with that combination would be rather scrumptious. :yum:

I found evaporated milk far too sweet and never had it. Can not really remember if it was in our household.
I know there was tinned coffee and milk, which was thick like evaporated milk. Never drank it myself though.

So delicious, ours was made with raspberry jam roll. Yummy

2 Likes

My Nan’s bread pudding served with home made custard despite food rationing at the time.

3 Likes

I had forgotten all about bread and butter pudding. With sultanas?

2 Likes

Of course, lashings of them with a pinch of cinnamon! I couldn’t get enough of the stuff, so Nan always kept some back for me when nobody else was around :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

At home, my favourite was “Wait and see” pudding. My brother and I would ask R Mar, what was for tea and she would say, “wait and see”. After this happened a few times we realised this meant steamed treacle sponge with custard, and the pud’ forever became known as “Wait and see” after that.

At school in Doncaster, I never knew the name of my favourite pudding and only found out when I was an adult when I saw it in a shop. It was Yorkshire Curd Cake, a type of thick set egg custard with currents set within. Hot with lashings of custard, or a cold slice, it is still one of may favourites. Alas I can’t get it by here in The Land of the Wurzel.

Food parcels to Fruitcake Folly containing this delicacy from Oop Norf greatly accepted.

3 Likes

I wasn’t keen on soft creamy puddings, like trifle or mousse, but I did like cakes, biscuits and pastries.

Some of my favourites were simple recipes for cakes and biscuits from the Bero flour recipe book and I used to help my Mum make them.

When I was very young, Melting Moments were my all-time favourite thing to help Mum bake and to eat. We used to make some rolled in oats and some rolled in desiccated coconut.

My favourite treat when I went to my Aunt’s house was Yorkshire Curd Tarts.
I’ve always loved them and they remind me of childhood.
I used to go to my elderly Aunt’s house at weekends - she used to be a professional cook in her younger days but had become unable to walk, so I used to help her with shopping, cooking, laundry and housework.
She’d send me shopping on Saturday mornings and she always used to tell me to buy some fresh cheese curds if the local grocer had any in. If I managed to find some curds, we’d make Yorkshire Curd Tarts in the afternoon.
My Aunt had an old coal-fired kitchen cooking range and she baked all her bread, pies and cakes in that. Her kitchen was cosy and cheerful, full of the delicious scents of freshly baked bread, mingled spices, herbs, and food cooking.
The aroma of those Yorkshire Curd Tarts when they were in the oven was heavenly and when they came out, all golden brown on top, bursting with plump currants, they looked so scrumptious - I could hardly wait to sink my teeth into one - I could hardly wait for them to cool!

We had a lot of tinned fruit for pudding, and gran’s bottled fruit. Sometimes with a slosh of evaporated milk on it, I loved that, still do :+1:

Also “milk jelly” which is jelly made up with whipped evaporated milk, it comes out fluffy, like mousse

2 Likes

Apple Sauce

1 Like

As no doubt I’ve mentioned before on this forum, Butterscotch Angel Delight.

I used to like a certain caramel pudding, I think it used to be directly tipped out of a little individual glass container. It had a slippery slimy texture which doesn’t sound very appetising but it was actually quite nice :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

that sounds yummylicious!

3 Likes

OOh I remember that!

3 Likes

Guess what I’ve got stashed away in a little cupboard in the kitchen :wink:

3 Likes

The sad thing is that it’s not as exciting for me these days. I used to adore fingers of fudge as a child so was delighted to find one of those sweet shop size boxes of them in Costco a few years ago. I thought yum! and bought the box. Scoffed a whole load and then didn’t want to look at another finger of fudge for a long time! When I was a child I used to think it will be fabulous to be a grown up and eat ice cream all day. :smiley:

3 Likes

One of my old bosses actually sang that old finger of fudge advert from way back when.
He didn’t appear on the screen but sang that very memorable finger of fudge song as a child.

Did he get the pee taken out of him by his staff!
In the nicest possible way I hasten to add.
We used to refer to him as Fudgie :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

hqdefault

3 Likes