Do you remember your favourite Dessert/Sweet treat as a child?

Here we go … what could possibly go wrong :wink:

2 Likes

Butterscotch Angel Delight on top of tinned pineapple slices - that was my brother’s favourite pudding when we were kids!

3 Likes

I’ll have to give that a try.
I’ve just been cleaning out my COVID essentials panic buying cupboard.

2 Likes

Go for it! Let us know if you liked it!

3 Likes

Caramac. I used to love it as a kid.
You can still get it. My dad was told he had to give up chocolate after he had a couple of TIAs, (mini-strokes), but was told it was okay to eat caramel so Caramac and McVities Gold Bars were the order of the day instead.

Sugar sandwiches!

I used to be fond of blancmange, I have never seen it in Australia though it is only milk, corn flour, colour and flavouring, I guess if I was that keen I could make some.

Something I used to like when I first came to Australia was Junket, it was available in many flavours, just a tablet that had an enzyme that set milk (I think). It seems to have gone out of favour now because there are only plain tablets in the supermarket. I It probably doesn’t work well with Lite milk.

2 Likes

Make a burger with a fried pineapple slice, onion, salad, meat pattie etc. Very nice.

2 Likes

I had a little tinker and cut the pineapple into pieces.
Thanks Boot…it really does work, it’s something that never would have occurred to me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My son’s the burger man… I’ll ask him to prepare one at the weekend Bruce… it’ll go with a nice cold glass of something.

I made a blancmange because I realised I had all the ingredients.

Used this recipe

To be honest I wasn’t much taken with it. It was OK, a bit too sweet for me but I doubt I will make it again except perhaps for my grandkids (as a change from egg custard)

When I was poking around in my cupboard I came across a tin of pineapple rings so I might make a burger too this weekend

I’ve just remembered Gooseberry Fool. And I don’t think I’ve had it since. You don’t see many gooseberries around nowadays; we had a bush or two in the garden.

I worked for a lady who had a couple of Cape Gooseberry bushes growing. We would eat them straight off the plant. Never made pies or the like.

That looks quite different to the one I know. As kids we used to eat the odd one or two off the bush but they’re bitter.

2 Likes

A whole tin all to myself :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s the gooseberries I remember too. My old man used to grow them (along with raspberries). Didn’t like them much myself, as you say, too sour.

2 Likes

Cape Gooseberries or Ground Cherries - more closely related to Tomatillo - are encased in a papery husk that starts out green and flexible, and turns into a skeleton cage with the yellow berry peeping through, so that you know it is ready.

Not grown in this country, but I’ve seen/tried them, in Arab shops, I think. Can’t remember what they call them.

1 Like

It is, Annie. I make it often.

1 Like

And hairy!

1 Like

That’s the Taliban.

Oh I forgot to mention, “What’s green and hairy and goes up and down?”

A gooseberry in a lift.

haha

2 Likes