Do you remember pop rocks? And other old-time candies

:rofl:
Now I’m glad I don’t touch the stuff!

1 Like

Cadbury used to be edible but it’s all horrible now.

2 Likes

Like all the other traditional chocolate makers once they got absorbed by the huge multinationals.

Fry’s for example; the world’s oldest brand being establishedin the 18th century and who apparently made the first-ever mass-produced chocolate bar.
My mum used to love Fry’s Five Centres.
Or Terrys … of York originally but now made in Eastern Europe or in France.
Or Rowntrees, started in the 1860’s and who invented the Kitkat and the Aero bars in the 30’s.
All once lovely chocolate, but now not so much thanks to being bought by Nestle/Kraft/Mondelez.
:frowning_face:

2 Likes

That’s the one I was trying to get out of my brain to my fingers Percy …flying saucers! I ‘saw’ them vaguely in my mind, but couldn’t quite ‘get it out’.
At last, I can relax now :grinning:

I remember the exploding candy stuff - it was called Space Dust where I am. I’ll never forget the first time I tried it - I had no idea what it was, had never heard of it, and my sister just said “right, close your eyes and open your mouth” and she spooned it in. Oh my word, it was the most bizarre experience! I wish it was still available (is it? maybe it is, somewhere…)

I remember little chews, 4 a penny from the sweet shop - liquorice ones called ‘black jacks’, and fruit flavoured ones called ‘fruit salad’. A couple of pence went a long way in those days! Sherbet Dips were another favourite, and Palm Toffee Bars - a chewy fruit centre sandwiched between two layers of creamy toffee. I liked the banana flavoured ones best.

And oh yes, flying saucers! I still buy these for myself my granddaughter :wink:

2 Likes

That’s it @Bathsheba ,Space Dust!
:023:
I said it wasn’t my taste, but that’s what Mrs Zaphod loves and what I buy her now when I see it (and when I remember) is this:

3 Likes

I Googled and found that Poundland sells it - annoyingly I was next door in Hobbycraft yesterday, before I read this thread! I see another trip coming up, haha!

2 Likes

I still love Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs though I don’t buy them too often. They just melt in your mouth.

But I am even fonder of Violet Crumble another Aussie treat that has come home. So much nicer and crunchier than a Crunchie bar

2 Likes

I remember sweet cigarettes, they tasted vaguely of chalk and the tips were dyed red.
There was a little plastic cigarette holder taped to the side of the box so that you could pretend to smoke before you scoffed your fags.

I doubt very much that the sweetie shops still sell them!

3 Likes

I think there are things called candy sticks, which are the sweet cigarettes without the red tip! At least, they used to be available for a long while after it was considered unsuitable to sell children sweet cigarettes - they may not still be around.

1 Like

I used to be a sweetie monster as a kid and remember quite a few of the aforementioned brands. One that comes to mind though is American Hard Gums. I loved those, are they still available?

2 Likes

Oh yes …I binged out on a packet only yesterday :wink:

2 Likes

They still sell candy cigarettes but they’re not quite the same.

Ah, gum drops. From Amazon UK

1 Like

I had to pop over to the local convenience shop anyway… couldn’t resist!

2 Likes

Okaaay…if you say so! :joy:

Well excuse me I’m sure!
We all have our little indulgences.

1 Like

Oh, of course…mine are little too. A little too many… boom boom :joy:

1 Like

sherbet flying saucers are still available.

Flying Saucers Sherbet Space Ships - Traditional Sweets From The UK’s Original Sweetshop. Fast Delivery Of Retro Confectionery - treasureislandsweets.co.uk

1 Like

Oh I loved them…please don’t tempt me because they’ll be in my basket before you know it

glances down

Oh now, would you look at that! :flying_saucer: :flying_saucer:

2 Likes

Liquorice Roots, Tiger Nuts, Invalid Toffee, Bull’s Eyes and Coconut Ice !

1 Like