Do you remember pop rocks? And other old-time candies

Have you ever had pop rocks?

Pop rocks is a candy that explodes in your mouth. As it dissolves, it lets off carbon dioxide and feels like it’s popping.

I also remember honeycomb candy and violets that I haven’t seen in stores for a long time. I also remember candy cigarettes, chocolate coins, wax containers with juice and marshmallow cones.

Do you have any favorite candies that you haven’t eaten in a long time?

2 Likes

Sherburt dip , Love Hearts, Coconut mushrooms…We did have an olde world Sweet Shop in the Village not sure if its still going .

3 Likes

My BH introduced me to her favourite childhood sweet recently.
“Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs”

The name sounds more interesting than what it is,caramel coated pop corn.
It’s ok ,not good for the teeth.

2 Likes

Sherbert - cherry :cherries:

Fireballs

2 Likes

Jamboree bags, shredded coconut that looked like loose tobacco. Chocolate cigars.
Brings back memories.:grinning:

3 Likes

This reminds me of coconut balls, shredded coconut with corn syrup, colored red with food coloring, sticky and sweet. I miss those.

1 Like

I was never really into sweets when I was young. Occasionally I am now though :rofl:

When most kids used to do the paper rounds, I worked on the counter in the newsagents instead, getting the rounds ready and selling sweets.

I remember:
Sherbet dip
Cherry lips
Blackjacks
Spangles
Honeycombs
Love Hearts

I can ‘see’ other sweets, but just can’t remember their names. :thinking:

2 Likes

That newsagent was smart .

Coconut Mushrooms

Spangles

Yellownan

Seaside rock

and those lovely big golden coloured mint humbugs!

1 Like

All these are still available at Tesco.

I used to like all of them and flying saucers, too.

2 Likes

Yes, I remember buying candy that popped in my mouth.

Occasionally I will eat…,:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

1 Like

It’s not my sort of thing @butterscotch , but Mrs Zaphod adores what she calls “popping candy” that comes in little bags and crackles on the tongue.
As a result she loves this chocolate too which I am reliably informed contains just that.

2 Likes

My son loves these…

They aren’t for me.

1 Like

I went to look for a review and found this one. She was not pleased with it. She was thinking it was like Pop Rocks. I think the difference was that it was jelly beans, so it got stuck in her teeth and the popping started happening on her teeth and instead of on her tongue like Pop Rocks. She didn’t seem to enjoy it at all. I think she should have not chewed the chocolate and taken out the jelly beans separately.

1 Like

:rofl:
Now I’m glad I don’t touch the stuff!

1 Like

Cadbury used to be edible but it’s all horrible now.

2 Likes

Like all the other traditional chocolate makers once they got absorbed by the huge multinationals.

Fry’s for example; the world’s oldest brand being establishedin the 18th century and who apparently made the first-ever mass-produced chocolate bar.
My mum used to love Fry’s Five Centres.
Or Terrys … of York originally but now made in Eastern Europe or in France.
Or Rowntrees, started in the 1860’s and who invented the Kitkat and the Aero bars in the 30’s.
All once lovely chocolate, but now not so much thanks to being bought by Nestle/Kraft/Mondelez.
:frowning_face:

2 Likes

That’s the one I was trying to get out of my brain to my fingers Percy …flying saucers! I ‘saw’ them vaguely in my mind, but couldn’t quite ‘get it out’.
At last, I can relax now :grinning:

I remember the exploding candy stuff - it was called Space Dust where I am. I’ll never forget the first time I tried it - I had no idea what it was, had never heard of it, and my sister just said “right, close your eyes and open your mouth” and she spooned it in. Oh my word, it was the most bizarre experience! I wish it was still available (is it? maybe it is, somewhere…)

I remember little chews, 4 a penny from the sweet shop - liquorice ones called ‘black jacks’, and fruit flavoured ones called ‘fruit salad’. A couple of pence went a long way in those days! Sherbet Dips were another favourite, and Palm Toffee Bars - a chewy fruit centre sandwiched between two layers of creamy toffee. I liked the banana flavoured ones best.

And oh yes, flying saucers! I still buy these for myself my granddaughter :wink:

2 Likes

That’s it @Bathsheba ,Space Dust!
:023:
I said it wasn’t my taste, but that’s what Mrs Zaphod loves and what I buy her now when I see it (and when I remember) is this:

3 Likes