Do you re-use your plastic containers?

Despte the trend towards more green and ethical packaging there’s still a huge variety of cheap “Tupperware”-type plastic containers in use which could be re-used.
At one time it was quite a "thing" to wash and re-use ice-cream containers and plastic takeaway containers for example, as well as the plastic tubs that choccies come in at Christmas and far more besides.

Personally I rarely do nowadays and there’s no guilt attached because much of it supposedly gets recycled, but I do re-use for example the large tubs that the wild bird suet cakes come in because they’re handy for storing bird seed in.
But things like used Quality Street tubs, nope.

So do you re-use any of the huge variety of plastic containers that hold such a variety of the things we buy, and if so what?

1 Like

I keep dry fishing bait (pellets, etc), bird seed, and the like in them.

1 Like

Me too the round bird food tubs are easy to stack and keep tidy.

1 Like

Hi

Yes I do, mostly for gardening.

Milk containers for planting and fizzy drink bottles for cloches.

2 Likes

Yes, I keep chocolate containers to keep biscuits and baking in

1 Like

I don’t Zaphod, i use the milk containers when empty, to put my used oil that I cook fish in, I hate the smell of cooking oil that has just had fish cooked in it.:tired_face:…the smell wafts all over the house.

1 Like

We don’t very often use plastic containers these days. We have glass containers for for biscuits and for cold stuff in the fridge. Bottles go in the bottle bank. Cardboard gets recycled by the council. The dog food bags are paper so they recycled too. Same with cans. We use the milkman for deliveries for his bottles when he empties them.

In short…

1 Like

I have a shelf full of the large ice cream containers in the shed to keep all those odd bits that might just come in handy one day. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Yes, they get used for all sorts of things. In the house, in the stables, in the greenhouse, in the shed, Always keep the strong ones.

1 Like

I batch cook a lot so use the cheap plastic containers for that…I reuse sunflower spread containers for say,weighing out ingredients…like they use all those little glass ones on cook progs on the telly…
I use then to store any leftovers for Henryetta and bits and bobs go in them…In the workshops they are everywhere…
all been used already though…

2 Likes

Some I use for Mini cloches and some for seedlings.

2 Likes

I reuse plastic milk bottle tops & lids from things like peanut butter as water dishes for my tarantulas & have a couple of Tarantulas in old peanut butter jar. I also have a couple in old plastic sweet jars & a couple in reused tubs I got morioworms/waxworms in.

1 Like

I reuse the plastic fruit tubs for sowing seeds in also meat food trays , I also use the Take away containers did try freezing food in but they split to easily , so now i use them for anything that needs storing in the Garage
Also use the large fat ball containers , used it for mixing wall paper paste , and also as a bucket .

Just today i thought about reusing the plastic single person pudding pots for a dogs drinking bowl when walking her ,
Also reuse water bottles , I have used milk bottles in the garden for shaping the direction of a branch on a shrub,Filling it with water then tieing it round the branch. Weighting down ,

1 Like

I rarely buy things in plastic boxes - but those I do are usually washed and reused to store bits and pieces in the craft room. I never buy anything in plastic bottles.

1 Like

Hence the milkman?

2 Likes

Yes - my milk comes in glass bottles!

1 Like

WTG!
Ours too.

2 Likes

I reuse those plastic food containers for my homemade bulk frozen meals. Always keep those plastic ice cream containers they are so useful. My only complaint about the latter is that they go brittle and eventually fall to pieces so have to be replaced. The lids are handy to cut up and use as shims or spacers.

Lately the ice cream I buy comes in paper containers which are useless but can be recycled.

My Golden Virginia tins are still in use in the garage and I gave up smoking in 1983.

1 Like

Absolutely. Reuse! Recycle and all that.
They get used in my husband’s garage more than anything for nuts & screws & such. Myself, elastics, paper clips, thumb tacks etc.

1 Like

all 1.25 ltr empty bottles invaluable for my home made beer - can’t get enough of them

1 Like