Do you play a musical instrument?

Continuing the discussion from Anyone have a claim to fame? Just for fun!:

Lots of musically talented people in the claim to fame thread.

Do you have musical talent? Which musical instrument do you play?

Tell us your musical adventures.

1 Like

Couldn’t play a musical instrument but I used to be a dab hand playing the Comb in my younger days! :grinning:

2 Likes

When I was a kid, I played the flute in school. I took it very seriously back then, practicing for hours and going to a tutor. I really enjoyed it. Still have my flute.

I gave it up in high school because the band leader had a daughter in my class who played the flute. His preferential treatment of her put me off.

2 Likes

Well since you asked …. Yes.
I’ve played alto sax off and on since 1973
I’ve played soprano sax since Christmas 2018
but my most valued instrument are my vocals. I’ve been singing since I was about 4 or 5 so have a powerful set of pipes. :notes:

6 Likes

Played a clarinet for a few years and did duets with my father who also played. We weren’t all that good but we enjoyed it. I bought a tenor saxophone and stuck with that for a few years. Then on to a guitar. All played for my own amusement. The saxophone was the only instrument played outside of the family (the firm’s Christmas party).

My sister played the accordion, my Dad the violin and banjo mandolin, my brother played the harmonica (he was once in a skiffle group). My Mother had a contralto voice (professionally trained). It was very musically noisy in our house, especially at Chrismas when we all got together.

4 Likes

Only Pianoforte. :grinning:

But not since I was about 12 or 13 or something like that.

Once upon a time I came joint 2nd in Wigan Arts Festival. We had a thread about this once before on the old site, and I only remember that because I always thought I came joint 1st until I got the certificates out to check - and discovered it was joint 2nd.
I was gutted cos I thought I was dead clever. :no_mouth:

My mum was a fantastic pianist and her dad was a musician (trumpeter) in the Sally Army. He even wrote music which was published several years ago.

4 Likes

I played blues guitar for a few years until I run out of motivation and gave it up. Might pick it up now and again for a strum when I’m bored, but I really lost interest in it - not that I was ever much good to begin with.

4 Likes

I like to think that if my father had lived longer, I would have had formal voice coaching as he had a wonderful voice and as a young child, I was told I had a really good voice. I sang and played guitar for years and became a duo with my now ex. I now sing with a wonderful choir and with them have backed various celebrities including Russell Watson. We were recorded singing a Royal Tribute with the Band of the Royal Marines and in 2019 we went to New York and sang in Carnegie Hall, which was totally brilliant.

4 Likes

My late Dad was very musical ,as is my Sister.
… Dad with the organ and Sister with the guitar.
I attempt both and even tuning my acoustic guitar, I love the sounds.
I have a go at an old organ I purchased in a Hasting Charity Shop.
guitars
None are expensive, as my skills do not warrant more…

2 Likes

Anything with a keyboard these days and guitars also feature high on my list L or R handed as I’m one of those weird ambidextrous freaks with a cross wired brain LOL. I used to indulge myself with wind, but alas a mini stroke some 18+yrs ago rapidity brought that joy to a grinding halt when I choked on my own vomit and trashed my lungs + vocal cords ruining my bari-tenor voice; now all I can manage is a gruff squeaking. Without the glee bagpipes brought to me I now content myself with Uilleann pipes which are arm pumped. Being somewhat considerate towards my neighbours either side (both sides are our tenants I might add) I mostly play in my music studio down in the garden which is highly acoustically insulated.
Many decades ago I had my own part-time band and I married my beautiful lead singer 54+ yrs ago after she proposed to me. Everyone told us it would never work due to our 20" height difference, but we proved them all wrong as we are still completely devoted to each other.

1 Like

20 inches height difference, that is a fair amount but not that much…you look up to your beloved or down… :thinking:
At the moment bad news, Husband weighs the same as me…but is taller…so he can wear my clothes now, but I cant wear his… :icon_rolleyes:

I was 6’ 6" and my blondie was 4’ 10" and we’ve both lost an inch.

So long as you are happy in your own skin what does weigh matter and I’m sure Mr DW doesn’t care a jot

1 Like

Started off playing Violin, got to be selected for the City youth Orchestra before going off the rails so, it was the guitar from there on in.

There were a lot of posh kids in the orchestra, weren’t as accomplished as me though, couldn’t get my head round that at the time. :grinning:

Piano tried the guitar ( fancied myself as Joan Baez)

1 Like

I don’t think everyone needs vocal training to be a good singer. I certainly didn’t have any but if you sing enough, you become very aware of what your vocal chords can do and how best to use them.

Like yourself, I sang with my dad when I was a child. He played classical piano like Chopin and Mozart so well but he also played pop music which I’d sing to. It’s something I actually really miss doing. When I finally saw my dad again, he’d lost his ability to play but surprisingly could still sing well.

I was told that musical memory is the last part of the memory to go. Seniors who might not remember their family or even remember how to talk will often start singing songs. It’s actually quite fascinating.

It sounds like you did well with your musical capabilities so good for you. It doesn’t get better than Carnegie Hall. That’s impressive. :+1:
Music can be magical :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Violin, guitar, bass in the church choir.

1 Like

I play piano but im very rusty as I never play anymore evev though I have a piano. I dont have my dads natural talent I had to practice practice practice whereas dad can play by ear, hes blind in one eye and only 30% in the other eye yet his fingers flow across the keyboard.

Dad also was a brilliant piano accordion player in his younger years.

We are a very musical family. My dad an accomplished pianist, my mum was a beautiful soprano singer and never had a singing lesson, I play piano and in my school days the baritone and euphonium, I even played with a professional brass band once, my school music teacher took me as he thought I was good enough , I was a nervous wreck lol.

My grandma was a toe tapping harmonica player, she was brilliant. My dads two brothers were in a band and both played guitar, one sang also.

When I was a little girl our family used to entertain in old people’s homes, we were in the local newspaper for being a musical family.

My dad was on radio at age 16 and described as a boy wonder. He also played in theatres and he used to get jobs in pubs when we went to Blackpool for our holidays lol. Mum wasn’t best pleased as it meant him being in pub and she was sat on her own!

My dad was sent in the pubs at 14 year old to earn money for the family as my grandad died when dad was a boy and my grandma had 3 boys and a girl to feed.

I have never understood why dad never went on to be a famous pianist, he just played in pubs and clubs to earn money while my mum sang.

I have such fond memories of our musicality and I will never forget coming down the bedroom steps to the sound of my dad playing Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen and my Mum singing I could have danced all night, ohhhh she was soooo good RIP all my departed family , there is only Dad and me and 1 sister left

2 Likes

I used to play trumpet and cornet at school. I also plinked on my mother’s old upright piano but was never any good. I don’t play any instrument now although, sometimes, I feel like I’m a frustrated old “axeman” or bassist that belongs to a quality prog rock band.

1 Like

I don’t play a musical insrument ,
but have 3 Guitars ,2 Ukuleles, a Mouth Organ , and a Bodhran…

1 Like

I play the piano but it never came naturally.
I achieved Grade 5 in theory and practical exams which is like an O level equivalent apparently…
I then promptly gave it up at the age of 16!

3 Likes