Do you like it spicy (food)?

Crikey LD, that’s not good! Have there been campaigns to get this changed? You can’t be the only person this affects. I would be hopping :rage:

1 Like

I used to like some things fairly spicey but since an operation a few years ago it’s a big no-no and even having certain herbs not only sets my cough off but risks seeing me choking.
That was “fairly spicey” though, and I’ve never really liked things too spicey just like I never really liked curries too hot.

3 Likes

I used to get migraine headaches from MSG. At one time, it was difficult to find a chinese restaurant that didn’t use MSG, but now they generally advertise that they don’t have MSG. I hadn’t noticed that spicy things tend to have more MSG.

1 Like

Over the years, several people have tried to get some kind of campaign off the ground, but as it’s a very common additive, food manufacturers have somehow intervened and stopped all attempts dead. I had a relative who died during heart surgery in an attempt to correct the damage done by MSG over the years. I go into hospital on the 14th for my corrective surgery, so I’m a tad apprehensive.

1 Like

People often confuse ‘heat’ and ‘spice’ and I love both. Some spices carry a degree of heat, ginger, black pepper paprika included but they are generally added for flavour more than heat.
I make my own blends of garam masala spice from scratch by grinding the spices myself.
For heat I use a number of things like fresh chillies and Gochugaru hot red Korean chilli flakes are a must.
A pinch of chilli flakes can give a subtle kick to many dishes including pasta sauces.

1 Like

You’re right! :slight_smile:

I just looked up the word spicy and nothing about heat in the definition. I guess I was thinking about spicy (hot) because when some restaurants ask how spicy you want the dish, they’re asking how hot you want it.

Gosh, that is particularly shocking LD, I am appalled that incidences like this are just dismissed and manufacturers are allowed to continue hiding MSG in foods. Truly shocking.
Good luck with your surgery, I’m sure everything will be fine x

1 Like

On the Calcutta run, we sailors were advised to eat Curry, every day, as it made us sweat - and sweating cools us down!

1 Like

And cleans your bowels if memory serves, never been into curry I must say.

No, because it doesn’t agree with me.

It doesn’t, always, stay in there long enough to do that!

Here’s some really yummy spicy Thai food in Hua Hin

I have to admit I only thought to take a photo when we were half way through the meal.

Now some from Penang, the first is supposedly the best Char Koay Teow place in Georgetown…

…but frankly this market stall was every bit as good and cheaper

Finally a Malaysian restaurant in MT Gambier, Victoria who produced a very respectable Char Koay Teow

I must say that even at home I find a spoon and fork far more convenient eating implements than a knive and fork (not much good for a steak though)

2 Likes

It’s the first I’ve heard of it but we do sprinkle curry powder on pineapples or mangoes and call it Spiced Pineapple and Spiced Mangoes!

1 Like

Thanks @Minx. Maybe it was somewhere else, but it was so long ago that I’m very vague about what she said!

Curry powder on pineapples and mangoes, wow! Not sure I really want to ruin my favourite fruit (mango) with this, but perhaps I’ll try it on a small piece and see what I think. Do you leave it to soak in for a couple of hours or overnight?

1 Like

No, just a light dusting!

Most of the islands in the Indian Ocean spice these fruits this way! It’s a different taste experience!

1 Like

I love Peri Peri , i have 2 jars of it in my larder , and i sprinkle it over the Chicken meals i do in the pan, sometimes I put a little too much on and my mouth tingles with the heat .
It wakes the taste buds up .

2 Likes

I like fairly spicy, medium chilli and curry but not so hot it blows my head off and makes my lips go numb

My son, on the other hand, like the hotter the better. This is his favourite chilli sauce, I always try to avoid eating anything with a skull on!

5 Likes

Spicy is the only way to go.
My favorite food chart:

Only thing missing is Habanero and Ghost. Yummy!

5 Likes

I’m really picky about my Hot Sauce. Most have a lot of vinegar and I hate the taste of vinegar in anything.

1 Like

So, what sauce do you use then Danny?

1 Like