Do you have any ideas/plans for saving power?

Well, I’ve been banned from saving power on drying the washing!

I had one of those heated clothes airers, a clothes line in the garage and racks on the radiators….

And then the old man finally snapped along the lines of…. “ffs, put it in the effing tumble dryer, we can afford it, you don’t need to spread it out everywhere like an ruddy peasant, it’s like a tinkers caravan in here” :rofl:

There might have been more swearing than that!

1 Like

Not at all, some folks have spent a lifetime “Saving Energy”. :grinning: :icon_wink:

No, I really wasn’t joking! If I open the front windows it’s noisy and let’s in pollution and the back let’s in bugs in summer.
Obviously I don’t open any in winter because of letting the cold in.

I met a woman recently who told me she has never put her heating on ever because she is always hot , she was a larger lady , I bet her house is freezing , ill never visit that’s for sure

Some may recall I have an open plan lounge , stairs going up to large open landing , Heat too , so I’ve put voiles up and over the staircase . It’s working a treat the lounge is warmer and I’m using the gas fire on low and not the central heating, mind you it’s not been cold down here in the South West

Easy solution - put fly screens on the windows at the back.

Best thing I have discovered is popping on the dehumidifier. Best purchase I have made this year. Dries laundry, heats the place up and no actual heating used. Minimal impact on the meter readings too.

I do open the windows on nicer days…I love the breeze coming through.

Couldn’t be faffed! Easier to keep windows shut.

Tell me more about these . Could be something a friend might find useful .

1 Like

I can’t rate mine highly enough! However, one small issue with this one is that it doesn’t have a timer as such. It has settings for 1hr, 2hr, 4hr, and 8hr (or when its full up and requires emptying) but you can’t set it to switch on automatically when the humidity is high enough to warrant it. This is mine
Meaco Portable Dehumidifier DD8L Junior - Compact Desiccant Dehumidifier - Best For Small Homes & Outdoor Spaces - Prevent Condensation, Mould & Damp - 18 x 35 x 50 cm : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

I also use these for checking the humidity levels

Thlevel 3-Pack LCD Digital Temperature Humidity Meter Thermometer, Mini Digital Thermometer Hygrometer and Humidity Gauge for Greenhouse/Cars/Home/Office, Black (3 Pack - Square) : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Opening a window is child’s play. There is something you’re not telling us.

come on @HelenP … spill.

Noise, pollution, and bugs I think Helen said further up. I would think that is a good enough reason. Perhaps she lives in a built-up area and its annoying. Although to be honest I would try and mitigate that by screens or a fan at the window facing outwards. The noise bit…well, I suppose headphones with some nice soundscapes of the sea, or countryside would be useful?
I don’t think I could breathe without open windows :frowning:

2 Likes

No d00d I meant I couldn’t be faffed to put up fly screens!
No, nothing sinister, just don’t open windows. Front, back and side doors get opened so enough air comes in then.

Yes PK that is the reason. My house is very open plan so doesn’t get stuffy and yes I am in a very built up area.

1 Like

I know how you feel, also condensation can be an issue if all the windows are kept tightly shut.

1 Like

I did it professionally for variable speed drives.

Double glazing should fix condensation problems.

Yes double glazing sorts it out - I feel so sorry for the people who don’t have it, and have to contend with drippy windows and soaking windowsills.

How does that work? If anything I would have thought that double glazing would only make matters worse.
In the past I’ve rented properties from letting agents and they’d make a point of advising their tenants to ensure that they opened the windows to some extent during the winter to avoid any problems with condensation.

Single glazing gets cold from the outside, hits warm air on the inside = condensation.

Double glazing: hot & cold are separated by a vacuum in between.

… something like that.