Do you have any ideas/plans for saving power?

Well I am planning to duct tape bubble wrap onto the window frames. Anything to keep Jack Frost out.

1 Like

@AnnieS Good luck

1 Like

Wouldn’t it make more sense to tape bubble wrap round yourself? :wink::blush::yum:

1 Like

Can you believe it - someone has actually tried this, he even tries to go swimming all wrapped up :

1 Like

Hi

I have just had an email from Octopus, my Direct Debit is being reduced by £68 a month.

I will keep it the same.

1 Like

In fairness @swimfeeders, I don’t think you can rely on being in hospital for 3 weeks every month as a way to keep your bills down.

3 Likes

I have never wasted energy so that I wouldn’t know how to save more of it other than to not use any at all. That’s why I’ve decided to make a little money on the side instead so that I can pay the higher bills.

1 Like

Good idea hire yourself out as a “warm hug” LOL

1 Like

I was rather thinking of myself as the only beneficiary. Can’t hug the world, can I? :wink:

No, I meabt as a money-making scheme.

Sometimes you can save energy by using more efficient devices. My wife’s Instant Pot is one…

1 Like

That’s what I am doing. Air fryers are a good way to save on cooking on the hob.

Insulation is the best way forward though. I have found the thermal curtain liners to be the cheapest way to warm up the room at night. They make so much difference. Even with double glazing so much cold comes through the glass.

I know you did but I can’t be helpful to others in that way either. Would not be realistic. :wink:

1 Like

That’s true but, as I said, I already have the latest devices and appliances that have the best energy label as my washer dryer combo that I bought last some weeks ago.

We did talk about not having the gas central heating on,but have to think about our house getting damp. We still have the radiators on in the 2 spare bedrooms but turned down a bit. We only have the heating on twice a day for 20 minutes. The hot water tank has to be at a certain temp so can’t reduce that. Not going to use the main oven for cooking pastry until i have to make mince pies and the Christmas dinner. Stopped using the top oven for the once a week casserole so going to use the microwave instead. I’ve always have a pressure cooker for veg.

I wonder how many of the people telling us to down the heating will be doing the same.
However. I’ve found that you can save on heating bills by turning your thermostat to ‘Manual’ if you have it on auto, and just turn it on when you get cold.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Ours is on to heat up at 18c but most radiators are turned off.

I can’t work out how to stop the water from heating up. It’s on “once” at the moment and the hours are all set to 6-8am but it must keep heating up during the day without my permission as it’s always hot. I haven’t “caught” it out yet though. Dratted contraption kept switching itself default to old timetable after we had some electrics work which meant turning the electricity off. So had to keep being reset to once grrr. I know that if I switch to off I will forget and have cold water in the morning. Must get it replaced, more £££s.

I am just going to see how much my energy supplier ups my direct debit.
I am hearing horror stories from other places.
So is the gas going to cost more, thanks to that Russian git?
Why should electricity cost more as we produce our own.
Living alone is a 3 bed house, I only use 2 rooms but not counting the kitchen and shower room.
If the gas cost is going to rocket, then my central heating will stay off. For cooking, I have 2 air fryers, and microwave/oven.
I could also get a portable electric hob.
I have a couple of halogen heaters and a small hot air blower.
Clothing, lots of wooden jumpers and coats.
If I go back in time, when it was coal or coke fires, with no heated bedrooms, we survived. Hot water bottles? Nah, a hot woman would do me.

it depends how the plants are powered because the demand for fossil fuels to power the stations has increased. We should have invested in more nuclear decades ago.

1 Like

Yes but we run at a deficit and we have to import that from other countries.