Do you have Alexa?

Where do you keep your Alexa?

9 Likes

I needed a new radio so I had an Alexa instead on the advice of my daughter.
My husband has Alzheimer’s & he likes asking it questions.

I keep mine in the kitchen

3 Likes

I don’t
 I don’t even have ‘Hey Siri’ switched on or my Smart TV connected to the internet (I just play content via my playstation instead).

I just don’t trust any of them - the can listen to your conversations any time they want :icon_eek:

I do prefer how Apple tries to do things locally on your own device whenever it can, but it’s not quite there with Hey Siri yet

3 Likes

That is how I feel as well, Azz. Plus I cannot imagine why I would need one. Must be useful for Carol’s hubby though.

2 Likes

I love my Alexa she reminds me about all sorts if I ask her to remember things and she remembers my favourite music I love listening to music when I’m busy in the house so she is great at picking out stuff for me to listen to.

1 Like

Ours isn’t an Alexa sort of house although we do have a remote control for the TV.

1 Like

Don’t have one can’t see how it works .

I disabled mine for a while, but switched it back on for music. I also missed the wee games it plays. Its always unplugged at night though. It stays in the back room, so can’t listen to anything except my typing, haha! I also don’t feel that comfortable talking to a machine (I have an anxiety about AI). It isn’t linked or synced to anything, its simply a music box
I hope. :open_mouth:

1 Like

I do have Alexa but never use it. I can play all my music directly through my sound system via my iPad.

1 Like

No need for one here. Sister has one but last time I was there she said it wasn’t working. I said maybe it needs reconnecting to the internet. As she is not tech savvy I would imagine it is still disabled. Unless someone has come to her rescue in the meantime. :rofl:

I’m with PSmith, not an Alexa type household. If I want answers, I use Google. If I want music, I play a CD, or can stream on Amazon Music, but more often than not, I prefer peace and quiet.

I don’t have Alexa but my Denon home theatre amplifier/receiver is quite clever when it comes to selecting music and radio stations. It has a function called HEOS built in and controlled by a mobile phone app. It could be used in conjunction with Alexa it I had it but there seems no need.

I said it would be a useful birthday present and, since I discovered the safety trick, i have now got one in most rooms here.

What’s the safety trick?

Well, if I have a bad fall, or am injured in some way, I can call out to the nearest device and tell it to “Call xxxx”, so I I can lie there. on the floor and talk to someone who can help. I had to test it before trusting that it would work and all of my family would now be callable.

They were going to ley you call 911 or 999 but I don’t know where they got to with that.

It does have a break in warning (it reacts to breaking glass).

Other than that, there are lots of quizzes, etc., but, especially the music. I have Radio 2 synced around the house and can listen wherever I get to (at home).

Naysayers reckon that the devices are recording everything you do because they flash , at times, but that seems to be just a listening device reacting to a noise, dog bark or whatever.

We have three all with screens; one in the lounge and one each in two of the bedrooms which make great alarms as well as being useful for other things (like an intercom too).

They can be handy but anybody worried about them eavesdropping probably doesn’t realise just how poor their comprehension is because the number of times it has done something completely different to what’s been asked of it is amazing.
How it can get to playing Michael Buble from being asked how long it is until your birthday I don’t know!
:rofl:

I had one because it was cheaper than buying a radio.
I love saying ‘Alexa, play smooth radio’

Marge has one, but I don’t really use it.

I did, however, find it interesting and quite amusing when I discovered that you can ask Alexa to do a fart.
I was also impressed that she seems to have quite an extensive repertoire.

My son has Hey google
I ask him if he listens into my conversations, I can’t remember what his reply was,:joy:

I keep forgetting he can listen into myself talking to myself
I’m surprised the coppers ain’t turned up, at my sons door
:sweat_smile::rofl:

Be very careful what you say
because they are definitely listening in.

Indeed. Used to get ours to go “meaow”, much to the perplexion of the cats.

Must try that!

Tell it to say it a few times. It understands a repeat command and will comply. :wink:

No thanks, no Alexa or her buddies here.