Do you ever feel FOMO (fear of missing out)?

With social media showing the great things people are eating, the fun things people are doing and the toys and gadgets people buy. Everyone seems to be achieving great things and having a fun time doing it.

Not really, of course, but it can look that way sometimes.

Do you ever compare yourself to the online pictures and feel FOMO, the fear that everyone else’s life is better than yours?

2 Likes

No.I don’t call that sort of thing fun anyway.
If they are having such a great time why do they have to show it off to others?There must be something missing in their lives.

4 Likes

YOLO … :smiley:

1 Like

It’s like in the old days when people were sharing the latest gossip in the marketplace or at the market fountain. Today they do that electronically which enables them to reach far more people which again may make them feel important. Nothing new about it actually. It’s an inherent desire of the human race.
It doesn’t appeal to me, I don’t believe them, and I find many of the things they share obscene.

2 Likes

Why on earth should I be bothered about what others are doing? Providing I am happy with my lot in life their ‘sad little lives’ are of no consequence whatsoever. I use the term ‘sad little lives’ as I just cannot see the need to advertise anything and everything they do in their lives on social media. In fact that’s the last thing I would ever do, far too many problems from some social media websites anyway, I am thinking of ‘Faecesbook’ here. That website caused me enough problems involuntarily without me actually inviting further problems.
:frowning_face: :grinning:

3 Likes

No - I don’t feel FOMO.

a) I don’t ‘do’ social media.

b) My life is exactly what I want it to be - so there is nothing to fear missing out on anyway

2 Likes

I suffer FOFF! :grinning: :biking_man:

Yes…I sometimes feel life is passing me by and I should do more…Covid has had a big impact on that though we have all been restricted

I dont feel I’m missing out looking at other peoples lives but I sometimes feel I should be doing more with mine…surely with the last year we have been through we all think that?

1 Like

I do hope that’s not too painful, it’s a bit like that trying to work out
what the abbreviation stands for though!
:upside_down_face: :thinking: :grinning:

Fear Of Forgetting Fun, :grinning: :biking_man:

3 Likes

That’s something I work on all the time. Not the fear part, just the [not] forgetting part. :slight_smile:

Oh I see, thanks, that’s somewhat eased the pain for me!
Sometimes there’s not much fun in life, like during the lockdown but
even more reason to recall past fun times I reckon.
:grinning:

External factors cannot be allowed to impinge on the Fun level. :grinning: :biking_man:

2 Likes

Absolutely not! For a start I do not use FB, Twitter, or any of the other smart phone centric type stuff. I’m happy being me in my own skin and enjoy my life as much as someone of my age can.

2 Likes

Same here :+1:t3:

3 Likes

I don’t really, I’ve always been a take life as it comes and seize your opportunities for fun where you can find them sort of person. I like seeing friends and family having good times on Facebook and hope they feel the same if I post some good news too.

But I do think that some people are trying to convince themselves they are having a fantastic life as much as they’re trying to convince you

On one forum I was in there was someone who never stopped banging on about her WONDERFUL life, her WONDERFUL friends, her WONDERFUL dog, her WONDERFUL neighbours

She didn’t make me feel I was missing out but she did get on my nerves

And I wondered if things weren’t really so wonderful for her? And if she needed all the comments from people telling her how lucky she was to comfort herself and build up her ego.

3 Likes

I don’t have a fear of missing out…I’m perfectly content with what I have. I would like a garden though…

3 Likes

Nope, don’t do Fakebook :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

you can come do my gardening PixieKnuckles when your finished you can sit in the midges :blush:

1 Like

Ey…don’t you speak too soon…I’m only a ferry away from you! :joy:

1 Like