Do I want a sister?

I have just received a message on Facebook from someone who could possibly be my sister who I have not seen for over 60 years.
Quick summary, mother was whatever the politically correct word these days for soneone who like to sleep around and did not let marriage get in the way.
My parents got a divorce and one of my sisters and I ended up in a kids home and the other Dianne went with my father.
A Dianne has message me though for some reason I did not get it for ten days asking if I had a father who’s name was Harry.
I have messaged back yes but have to say why has it taken so long though it would not surprise me if our mother a really unpleasant woman has deliberately hindered any contact.
Very odd.

2 Likes

Are you curious ? If so go for it what harm could there be . On the other hand if you dont really want a sister dont meet her and dont give out your address or anything.

3 Likes

Having never been in the situation cannot offer advice what does your other sister think? also what’s your gut instinct? Must of taken a lot for her to contact you.

1 Like

Yes I am curious hence I replied to the message. Not much chance of meeting as we are at opposite ends of the country.

We are a major league estranged family as we do not get on at all and haven’t spoken in decades.

2 Likes

@MrFraggle67 Ohhhh in that case let us know what occurs if anything does? but you never know she may be the one who you do get on with.

1 Like

I’m inclined to agree with @Kazz - you might find you really click with this sister (if indeed she is who she says she is, and you’re able to confirm that). Or even if you’re really not keen to make contact, you could let her know about your estranged sister, whom she may not know even exists.

But either way, please let us know the next chapter, if any! And good luck if you do decide to make contact.

3 Likes

It could work out for you … but be prepared for a lot of emotional baggage to get aired … get that out of the way, find you ‘click’ and it could be a great thing for both of you…

My brother did similar with a son he’d had nothing to do with … and whilst polite about it, my brother had to acknowledge that the son wanted nothing to do with him.

As she’s contacted you … she must be keen and presumably friendly and genuinely want to get to know you.
Good luck to you both.

2 Likes

Oh we all know we exist in fact there are step brothers I know of after all my mother put it about quite a bit and I think married at least 7 times, without a doubt she would have kept contact details away from each other, she certainly has mine as I did make an effort at reconciliation but it didn’t work as I despise her so much and could not keep up the pretence.

1 Like

That’s really sweet. I hope everything works out for you both.

1 Like

@Bratti Confused what is sweet?

1 Like

If she’s messaged you then she must be keen to rekindle ties with you and why not? My wife found a brother in her mid sixties with a back story very similar to yours, and through that chance meeting she gained another whole side to her family that she never knew existed and the journey of discovery has been unbelievably rewarding, finding nephews, nieces, cousins and all manner of relatives spread from here all the way to Australia.

So why not just correspond initially and then perhaps telephone and Skype, the years roll by too quickly and this is a chance of giving and receiving some happiness which may not come along again. For me, life really is too short to miss this wonderful opportunity that’s been offered to you.:blush:

2 Likes

That is terribly sad MrFraggle. What a fractured background you have. I expect you’ve had years to reconcile yourself with it, but it can’t have been easy.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t think I ever did and the effect on me thoughout my life has been constant but hey ho you cannot choose your family and I hope that they way children are treated by a parent is better monitored than it was when myself and one sister were bought up in a childrens home.

3 Likes

I’d get in touch. Well, I did with the son I had adopted in 1964. We are still in touch but sporadically.

1 Like

@MrFraggle67 you could carry on messaging on Facebook and see how it works out at least you have nothing to loose. As others have said don’t provide any personal details. Though I doubt you would do that. Could be good for you🙂

1 Like

We will see if she messages back or more importantly if she does what she says.

2 Likes

Deleted. Apologies, Mr Fraggle.

1 Like

After 60 years, I don’t think so. :rofl:

2 Likes

@MrFraggle67 - last summer I found a cousin I had not known about - on Ancestry.com. Being in lockdown we could not do much more than email then, eventually, swap telephone numbers. Found we had so much in common. July this year we were able to meet up - and it was brilliant.

2 Likes

Deleted. Apologies Mr Fraggle.