Do I want a sister?

Good luck Mr Fraggle you deserve it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You sound rather embittered by your lifeā€™s experience Glenn, but try to keep in mind that Dianne is a victim too in all of this and you donā€™t know her side of the story yet! She herself may have been lied to all of these years regarding her family, so if it were me I would say at least give her the benefit of the doubt until you have heard her side of the story.

If it doesnā€™t work out you will have lost nothing, but please donā€™t close the door too soon to a chance of reconciliation with an estranged sibling, which could provide the chance of bringing joy to you both.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry youā€™ve had a less than ideal childhood.
May I suggest that you proceed to gauge her intent with a level of caution. You have nothing to lose and a sister to gain.

Not sure where you have got the idea that I am not interested in what Dianne has to as that could not be further from truth, I have many many questions that I would love to know the answers to. I pretty much no my mothers story which isnā€™t pleasant as to my father he contacted me out of the blue in 2010 after 50 years or so I know a little about his side. I also after a legal battle got the records kept during my 12 year stay in the kids home which filled in a few more blanks but what sort of life Dianne has had I know very little.

As for the post about Christmas presents, err, joke?

1 Like

There will be much caution, at 67 I have gone through life without a family so not particularly looking for one now, email chats will be fine.

1 Like

My apologies if I misread your sentimentsā€¦

2 Likes

I wish you well what ever the outcome, sorry you ended up in a childrenā€™s home, ā€¦I sincerely hope this ends with a happy ending for you,:heartpulse:Mr Fraggles.

I spent a long time debating whether or not to answer @MrFraggle67, but here goes:

I was over 50 before my parents told my sister and myself that we had a half-sister which we knew nothing about. She had contacted my parents and seen them a few times, even staying with them before we were told.

Neither my sister nor I knew quite what to make of it feeling above all else that even though we might be related quite closely by blood, we didnā€™t feel related because we had no shared histories and experiences. In short: neither of us knew our half-sister.

As it happens the timing coincided with a deterioration in our parentsā€™ health with both showing evidence of dementia which our half-sister must surely have recognised. Whether as a result of that or whether it was just the curiosity factor we will probably never know, but contact soon ceased altogether.

Weā€™re neither of us angry at our parents, recognising that at the time our mother fell pregnant the world was a very different place and that what is acceptable now was not widely-acceptable at that time.
If anything weā€™re more sad than anything else at not having had the opportunities and experiences of another sibling, but we both honestly felt that over fifty years was leaving it a bit late to form the deep, meaningful sort of relationship that comes with growing up with a family.

If nothing else it might give you food for thought as to why this Dianne is seeking contact now.
As we get older we contemplate our mortality and Dianne too like my own half-sister might well just be curious to know a little more about her family.

Just to add that when I first saw the title of this thread, I was tempted to respond with ā€œNo thanks, Iā€™ve got oneā€ ā€¦ and then I realised that in fact I have two.
:woozy_face:

2 Likes

That you have a sister who wants to meet you
Is that the wrong thing to say? :relieved:

Not at all just wasnā€™t clear what you meant.

No apologies necessary.:smiley:

Had a brief reply from Dianne who mentioned our other sister Lynne and that she thought I might be her brother.

Ok! :slightly_smiling_face:

We have moved on to emails, I have learnt that our father died in 2017. I was thinking about what I felt about this and it was not sadness it was annoyance as now I will be unable to get answers to the many questions I had.
I have included my sisters FB profile page, its public anyway, and she is weird, seemingly anti covid vax, in fact she seems anti covid, fortunately she has few followers.
https://www.facebook.com/talady1

What a shame.
Lots of things to consider.
I wouldnā€™t know what to think.
Iā€™m not on Facebook so canā€™t view her account but donā€™t particularly want to anyway. Itā€™s not really any of my business.

Lots of things to consider

My thoughts on this is that Long Lost Family, on TV, shows many lonely people searching for family & most seem to have a happy outcome, so maybe your sister has been influenced by this.
You have started to e mail, so learn what you can about her but donā€™t let her have your address until you are sure you want to meet.

Just remember it was your parents that allowed you to be put in a childrens home, not your siblings, so you may find comfort in talking to them. If your mum was as bad as you think, maybe they are like you or can understand how you think.

I wish you well, whatever action you take, but only you can make that decision!

1 Like

Mr Fraggle I have a friend who is anti vax - and she is vulnerable too but she is the most lovely person .

Keep us informed of how it goes, Mr fraggle.:+1:

Yes I agree with Twinks advice go with the flow but donā€™t give your address unless it feels right. She mentions on her Facebook life has been hard for herā€¦thats sad isnā€™t it maybe she is looking for answers tooā€¦be gentle with her.

At the moment we are trying to get a feel of each others lives over the past 60 years.

1 Like